ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired IELTS for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

E M
Newly Registered

Expired IELTS for ILR

Post by E M » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 pm

I am finding it difficult to find out a proper answer regarding the validity of expired IELTS score of an ILR application. Please advice - here are my details

1. I am on PBS dependant visa. Main applicant arrived in September 2010
2. I have arrived in the UK in feb 2011
3. Have written IELTS general training in 2010 (score 8.0) BUT I have not used for entry clearance while applying for PBS dependant application, Exam was taken back in India.
4. Me and my husband are applying for ILR in the month of September 2015 on 5yr route.

I understand that I need to prove english exam proficiency for an ILR application. Can I still use my IELTS score that I took back in 2010.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

rukmesh
United Kingdom

Re: Expired IELTS for ILR

Post by rukmesh » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi ,

You can only use your IELTS (even if it has expired), if you have used in one of your previous application(s) to the Home Office.

I had written to home office about this confusion and in response, they said this

-------------------------------------------------
Some qualifications are only valid for 2 years for immigration purposes. For settlement applications, we will accept one of the qualifications on LIST A that has passed the expiry date, if:

 The qualification has previously been accepted by us in connection with another immigration application, e.g. for entry clearance, or

 (if it is being presented for the first time) it was taken in the UK, and is on the OFQUAL register.
-----------------------------------------------

I hope it makes things clearer for you.

Good luck

E M
Newly Registered

Post by E M » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.

Home office's second point is bit tricky. What does it mean "if the exam is taken in the UK"? IELTS can be at several centres in the world and is awarded by British Council.

As I said I took the exam in India. Not completely sure how to interpret Home Office's requirement!!

Thanks again

rukmesh
United Kingdom

Post by rukmesh » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:00 pm

See, you have not used it in any of your previous application and you will be using it for the first time .. then in this case this IELTS certificate should have been taken in the UK and should be in OFQUAL register. Since you have not taken this certificate in the UK, I do not think you can use it. 3 options for you now.
1. Use your original degree and PBS calculator
2. Use your original degree and a letter from the university saying that the degree was taught in English
3. Appear for an approved English Language Test

If you have any more questions, you can call me . .would be happy to help

Good luck

E M
Newly Registered

Post by E M » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks for you reply.

Now it is clear for me what has to be done! Either I will go with option 1 or 3 as they are simpler than Option 2.

I have just gone through PBS calculator (https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces).

I understand that the PBS calculator can be accompanied only with the main application and no way applicable to dependants as don't see any option for dependants. Please correct me if I am wrong!

If I choose with the option of Tier 2 category, I can see my degree on the list. Please advice if this is sufficient.

Thanks again!

vishal123

Post by vishal123 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:42 pm

rukmesh wrote:Hi ,

You can only use your IELTS (even if it has expired), if you have used in one of your previous application(s) to the Home Office.

I had written to home office about this confusion and in response, they said this

-------------------------------------------------
Some qualifications are only valid for 2 years for immigration purposes. For settlement applications, we will accept one of the qualifications on LIST A that has passed the expiry date, if:

 The qualification has previously been accepted by us in connection with another immigration application, e.g. for entry clearance, or

dear rukmesh in my case I use my exoired ielts for ILR application,I used this ielts for my initial tier 1 general application.
 (if it is being presented for the first time) it was taken in the UK, and is on the OFQUAL register.
-----------------------------------------------

I hope it makes things clearer for you.

Good luck