ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can an FLR(M) holder get a mortgage?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Beamsley
Ireland

Can an FLR(M) holder get a mortgage?

Post by Beamsley » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:12 pm

My wife, who held a Tier 2 (General) visa for 4 years now holds a FLR(M) visa and has done so for the last year. She is looking to apply for a mortgage but do you know if this is possible on this visa or do you have to hold an ILR visa?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can an FLR(M) holder get a mortgage?

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:27 pm

She would need to contact the different mortgage companies to find out. It is likely that she won't get a good rate though. Will it be a joint mortgage with yourself?

Have a look at this thread below :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/settli ... 62791.html

If I may ask, why did she switch from Tier 2 G to FLR(M) when she had 1 year to go for ILR as a Tier 2 migrant?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Beamsley
Ireland

Post by Beamsley » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:39 pm

I have had a martgage and we wondered if she might qualify as a first time buyer. If not, it can certainly be a joint mortgage. I'll contact providers to ask.

Why did we change the visa type? We asked UKBA for advice. She had a Tier 2 for 3 years and this got renewed for 1 year. When it was up for renewal, as you say after 4 years, we asked which visa would be more appropriate. UKBA suggested the FLR(M) and we have since found out that means the 5 year clock is reset. I'm really annoyed by this as they knew this advice was wrong. They should have at least explained the implications of the change and benefits of staying on the Tier 2.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Unfortunately, the UKVI 'help line' frequently gives poor and incorrect advice and takes no responsibility for doing so. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm really annoyed by this as they knew this advice was wrong. They should have at least explained the implications of the change and benefits of staying on the Tier 2.
Yes, HO are known for sometimes giving out incorrect advice (but not necessarily knew it was wrong trying to mislead you) and it is unfortunate as she is indeed now on a new 5 year route to ILR. But on the positive side, she is free to work for any employer or not at all if she chooses.

EDIT : Beaten by Casa :x
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Gotcha Char! :wink: You were kinder to the 'help line' advisers than I was.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Beamsley
Ireland

Post by Beamsley » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm assuming there's little I can do regarding the poor advice. But thank you for your advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Casa wrote:Gotcha Char! :wink: You were kinder to the 'help line' advisers than I was.
Lol you did indeed.

I do try and see the good in people/situations and given how frequently the rules change and the catch up we have to do to provide help on the forum (much helped with Amber and Vinny's summaries/explanation sticky's), imagine the poor call centre people and the constant bombardment of updates they have to be aware of all the time across all visa categories and still answer calls etc. Not a job I would apply for or want tbh :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Apart from the fact that the Home Office should re-train staff, there's no excuse for giving incorrect information on the most basic procedures. This one was a good example, but then maybe you're more tolerant than I am Char. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Agree Casa. But even though I know HO do give out wrong information, I also think that this is a two sided scenario.

One also has to take into account the way in which or how and what questions applicants ask. I do think that often the query is not clear and advice given accordingly. Am not saying this applies to OP, but based on how questions are sometimes asked on the forum, I would imagine HO call centre has the same issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:10 pm

You've got a point. :?
(Casa, not CR001)

Beamsley
Ireland

Post by Beamsley » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:30 pm

I remember I said that she came from India as a doctor in 2010 on a Tier 2 and, 4 years on, what are the options open to us as she wants to apply for British citizenship asap. Her original visa was for 3 years, extended by another year and was due to expire in 1 months time. Should she extend that or go for the FLR(M)?

If they had simply said extend the Tier 2 for another year and then you can apply for ILR the conversation would have been over. Instead, they said we could go for the flrm and then she'd be free to work anywhere. True but not very helpful and misleading.

And there appears to be no method of appeal.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Regrettably there is no right to appeal and they can continue to give incorrect and misleading advice as the staff aren't held accountable.
(Casa, not CR001)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Yes, I will concur that the Home Office help line is unfortunately unhelpful, often misleading, staffed by untrained persons often 'googling' answers.

See also, Immigration applicants cannot rely on telephone calls with Home Office (click).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.