ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is there a chance israel will join the EuropeUnion?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barm22
Newly Registered

Is there a chance israel will join the EuropeUnion?

Post by barm22 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:13 am

Is there a chance that Israel will join the Europe-Union and then Israeli citizens will be able to live and work in europian countries?
If it may happen , when will it happen?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:15 am

Israel is in the middle-east, I doubt it will ever happen. Maybe in a 100 years...

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Is there a chance israel will join the EuropeUnion?

Post by Dawie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:56 pm

barm22 wrote:Is there a chance that Israel will join the Europe-Union and then Israeli citizens will be able to live and work in europian countries?
If it may happen , when will it happen?
Israel is not in Europe so I would say never.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

geoffsinclair

Post by geoffsinclair » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Interesting concept, and not an entirely new idea.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2003/06/27/edsalz_ed3_.php

Some in Israel view Israel as a European state with European views located in the Middle East. If you can sit Turkey around the EU negotiating table, why not Israel?

After all, Israel currently competes in European circles in sports and the most important competition of all, Eurovision.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:10 pm

geoffsinclair wrote:Interesting concept, and not an entirely new idea.

Some in Israel view Israel as a European state with European views located in the Middle East. If you can sit Turkey around the EU negotiating table, why not Israel?

After all, Israel currently competes in European circles in sports and the most important competition of all, Eurovision.
Well in that case why not South Africa, Australia, USA, Canada, etc? They all have substantial white "Eurocentric" populations...
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:08 pm

Dawie wrote:
geoffsinclair wrote:Interesting concept, and not an entirely new idea.

Well in that case why not South Africa, Australia, USA, Canada, etc? They all have substantial white "Eurocentric" populations...
Why not answer the question as to why Turkey and why not Israel?

All the countries you mention are just too far anyway. This is a matter of proximity plus the other things you mention.

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:15 pm

thats a 2003 Article.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Turkey is at least partly in Europe even if its only a small bit. I think their entry into the EU will eventually be scuppered. The EU might frustrate Turkey to the point where they pull out of the negotiations.

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:31 am

Turkey may eventually join the EU but it will be in the far future.

Back to the question will Isreal ever join the EU.

Isreal is not in Europe, so I think that will never happen, and if it does it will certainly open doors to other countries that will claim they also have Eurocentric communities??

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 pm

The vast majority of Turkey's not in Europe either, though.

However, I don't foresee Israel joining any time soon, speaking personally.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

barm22
Newly Registered

Post by barm22 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:53 am

Well, some claim that Israel is a middle-eastern country, and others calim thats Israel is an european country.
If Israel is not a part of europe so why Israel participate the EuroLeague and the Eurovision?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:39 am

Israel plays in the European division of the football World Cup for political reasons - they can't play against other middle eastern countries that don't recognise that it exists.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

geoffsinclair

Post by geoffsinclair » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:30 pm

runie80 wrote:thats a 2003 Article.
Yes its from 2003 but I did give a caveat which states that the idea of Israel being a member of the EU is not a new concept.

Israel takes part in Eurovision because it is a member of the European Broadcasting Union.

You already have the Commonwealth, where the wealth is not common. Geographically many of the countries mentioned above are simply too far away. Also the United States of Europe is being presented as an economic and political counterpart to the US and China, and the US is far too independent and proud to simply belong to a wider union that will undermine its sovereignty- UK take note. :?

Membership in Europe will depend on which countries Old Europe can take advantage of economically, which markets will be economically beneficial to their companies and whose people will view joining the EU as beneficial even if hopelessly one sided. In order to facilitate this, a sense of being european, belonging to an exclusive club even if a second-class member, is used to facilitate a sense of cohesion.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 pm

"You already have the Commonwealth, where the wealth is not common."

You mistake the origin of the word - it's from Commonweal, meaning common good, or the people as a whole. Nothing to do with wealth.

geoffsinclair

Post by geoffsinclair » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:54 pm

geoffsinclair wrote: You already have the Commonwealth, where the wealth is not common.
= a joke among Commonwealth people. Its a play on words nothing more.

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:09 pm

There are countries within Europe that still haven't join the EU.

Countries like Croatia, Serbia, Moldova all lie within Europe and still haven't joined, so the chance of Isreal joining is ....... very slim.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:36 pm

EU members have to meet minimum human rights and democracy standards. Israel will have to improve in these areas before it can even be considered.

But on the geography question, Cyprus is 100% geographically in Asia - so not being in Europe need not be a hindrance.

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Cyprus is split into a Greek side and a Turkish side, as far as I am aware Greece is part of the EU and the Greek part of Cyprus is also part of the EU.

La Reunion is an island and overseas "département of France", located in the Indian Ocean east of Madagascar . Reunion is also one of the 26 régions of France with the same status as those situated on the European mainland. As part of France, Réunion is part of the European Union, and thus the currency used is the Euro.

That shows that countries don't need to be physically be part of the European continent to be part of the European Union but Isreal unlike Reunion is not an overseas department of a EU candidate and was never colonized by a European country.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:13 pm

Fairtrade wrote: That shows that countries don't need to be physically be part of the European continent to be part of the European Union but Isreal unlike Reunion is not an overseas department of a EU candidate and was never colonized by a European country.
Technically that is incorrect. The whole of Palestine was part of the Ottoman empire before the 1st world war and then was a British Mandate territory up until the UN decided to mess it all up in 1948. Before that it was ruled by the European crusaders and of course let's not forget the Romans too who ruled it ages ago.

But of course that was true for most of the other Muslim countries around the Mediterranean, and they are no more likely to join the European Union anytime soon either.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Dawie wrote:Technically that is incorrect. The whole of Palestine was part of the Ottoman empire before the 1st world war and then was a British Mandate territory up until the UN decided to mess it all up in 1948. Before that it was ruled by the European crusaders and of course let's not forget the Romans too who ruled it ages ago.
Perhaps we shouldn't forget the Jews, either!

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:19 am

Dawie wrote:
Fairtrade wrote: That shows that countries don't need to be physically be part of the European continent to be part of the European Union but Isreal unlike Reunion is not an overseas department of a EU candidate and was never colonized by a European country.
Technically that is incorrect. The whole of Palestine was part of the Ottoman empire before the 1st world war and then was a British Mandate territory up until the UN decided to mess it all up in 1948. Before that it was ruled by the European crusaders and of course let's not forget the Romans too who ruled it ages ago.

But of course that was true for most of the other Muslim countries around the Mediterranean, and they are no more likely to join the European Union anytime soon either.
I'll just back this by what I found.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gal ... 05,00.html
There was no country called Isreal.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Naturally there is no country called Isreal, and never has been.

Israel, OTOH....

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Dawie wrote:Technically that is incorrect. The whole of Palestine was part of the Ottoman empire before the 1st world war and then was a British Mandate territory up until the UN decided to mess it all up in 1948. Before that it was ruled by the European crusaders and of course let's not forget the Romans too who ruled it ages ago.But of course that was true for most of the other Muslim countries around the Mediterranean, and they are no more likely to join the European Union anytime soon either.
If I can remember my history lessons correctly, it was also colonized by the arabs prior to the crusaders arriving there. Of course you also left out the most important part of the equation,the jewish people.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:36 pm

archigabe wrote:
Dawie wrote:Technically that is incorrect. The whole of Palestine was part of the Ottoman empire before the 1st world war and then was a British Mandate territory up until the UN decided to mess it all up in 1948. Before that it was ruled by the European crusaders and of course let's not forget the Romans too who ruled it ages ago.But of course that was true for most of the other Muslim countries around the Mediterranean, and they are no more likely to join the European Union anytime soon either.
If I can remember my history lessons correctly, it was also colonized by the arabs prior to the crusaders arriving there. Of course you also left out the most important part of the equation,the jewish people.
Most of the Jews in Israel are from Europe or Russia. But European colonies are not allowed into the EU. Australia, New Zealand, Canada and US are all outside.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm

I agree. Of course in many cases they were kicked out forcibly (think holocaust,pogroms in Russia&Poland) and still face hostility in many parts of the world. One reason why they should consider improving human rights situation in Israel.