ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (General) self employment

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LondonStrawberry

Tier 1 (General) self employment

Post by LondonStrawberry » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi Dear valuable members,

I am seeking for your expert advise.

My visa category was Tier 1 (General)

1. I got my ILR in dec 2014. In sept 2015 my 6 years in UK would complete and my ILR one year would complete in dec 2015.
My first question is whether I need to apply for british citizenship in sept 2015 or in dec 2015?

2. I was doing job and self employed as well. I had two sources of incomes which I provided to HO at the time of my ILR application which I got in dec 2014. In march 2015 I stopped my self employment due to some reason but I am still doing my job as customer assistant. My question is can it effect on my citizenship application that I am doing a job (which is not at the level of Tier 1 (general) and have stopped my self employment with HMRC?

3. For English requirement: at the time of ILR I sent my IELTS which has been expired in 2008 and HO accepted it. Now my question is that my same IELTS (expired certificate) would be ok for citizenship as well?

I would appreciate for the reply.

Thank you

A

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 1 (General) self employment

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:26 pm

LondonStrawberry wrote:Hi Dear valuable members,

1. I got my ILR in dec 2014. In sept 2015 my 6 years in UK would complete and my ILR one year would complete in dec 2015.
My first question is whether I need to apply for british citizenship in sept 2015 or in dec 2015? You have to wait a full 12 months on ILR before you can apply for Citizenship. The only time this is not required is if you are married to a British Citizen.

2. I was doing job and self employed as well. I had two sources of incomes which I provided to HO at the time of my ILR application which I got in dec 2014. In march 2015 I stopped my self employment due to some reason but I am still doing my job as customer assistant. My question is can it effect on my citizenship application that I am doing a job (which is not at the level of Tier 1 (general) and have stopped my self employment with HMRC? No, it should not be an issue, provided all your tax affairs are in order etc. Employment is not a requirement for Naturalisation.

3. For English requirement: at the time of ILR I sent my IELTS which has been expired in 2008 and HO accepted it. Now my question is that my same IELTS (expired certificate) would be ok for citizenship as well? ]I am not sure but it is likely that you might have to do the English test again. The rules change in April this year regarding approved tests and test providers with transitional timeframe in place which is 5th November. Have a look at Here (click) for the new providers and the transitional list.

Thank you

A
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LondonStrawberry

Post by LondonStrawberry » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
LondonStrawberry wrote:Hi Dear valuable members,

My first question is whether I need to apply for british citizenship in sept 2015 or in dec 2015? You have to wait a full 12 months on ILR before you can apply for Citizenship. The only time this is not required is if you are married to a British Citizen.

2. I was doing job and self employed as well. I had two sources of incomes which I provided to HO at the time of my ILR application which I got in dec 2014. In march 2015 I stopped my self employment due to some reason but I am still doing my job as customer assistant. My question is can it effect on my citizenship application that I am doing a job (which is not at the level of Tier 1 (general) and have stopped my self employment with HMRC? No, it should not be an issue, provided all your tax affairs are in order etc. Employment is not a requirement for Naturalisation.

3. For English requirement: at the time of ILR I sent my IELTS which has been expired in 2008 and HO accepted it. Now my question is that my same IELTS (expired certificate) would be ok for citizenship as well? ]I am not sure but it is likely that you might have to do the English test again. The rules change in April this year regarding approved tests and test providers with transitional timeframe in place which is 5th November. Have a look at Here (click) for the new providers and the transitional list.

Thank you

A
Thank you so much CR001.... I am just quite worried about my self employment thing. yes I already have submitted all my tax docs to HO when I applied for ILR. If for naturalization employment is not a requirement then why they ask for employment history?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 am

If for naturalization employment is not a requirement then why they ask for employment history?
Probably to check what you write against the records held by HMRC. It is a new part of the form but if you are not employed, you would just write unemployed and leave it blank for example. They are not there to judge you if you don't work or only work part time, it is there to complete their checks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LondonStrawberry

Post by LondonStrawberry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:28 am

CR001 wrote:
If for naturalization employment is not a requirement then why they ask for employment history?
Probably to check what you write against the records held by HMRC. It is a new part of the form but if you are not employed, you would just write unemployed and leave it blank for example. They are not there to judge you if you don't work or only work part time, it is there to complete their checks.
Thank you CR001. I am employed but not self employed anymore. I hope they would not rise question that why I am not self employed anymore.

Thank you for your kind help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:43 am

No, they should not raise it as long as your accounts and tax affairs are all up to date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

a.zaheer
Newly Registered

Post by a.zaheer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 am

No need for you to have new english test, since you have obtained the ILR after 28th October 2013.

You just to tick the following option in your application Form.
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

LondonStrawberry

Post by LondonStrawberry » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:00 pm

a.zaheer wrote:3. For English requirement: at the time of ILR I sent my IELTS which has been expired in 2008 and HO accepted it. Now my question is that my same IELTS (expired certificate) would be ok for citizenship as well? ]I am not sure but it is likely that you might have to do the English test again. The rules change in April this year regarding approved tests and test providers with transitional timeframe in place which is 5th November. Have a look at Here (click) for the new providers and the transitional list.

No need for you to have new english test, since you have obtained the ILR after 28th October 2013.

You just to tick the following option in your application Form.
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
Thank you a.zaheer :)