ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reference For BN

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sywahu

Reference For BN

Post by sywahu » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have searched the forum and found a few discussions. Apologies if its a repeated question :)

We are applying for my wife's BN application finally but having some problem with reference that needs to be "memeber of standing".

There is literally no one! She is a house wife and apart from doctors or teachers that we only know as professionalls and not personally.

My question is, can we use the GP as a reference? They don't know us personally of course but she has been going there for many years.

Thanks

Syed

magata

Post by magata » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:49 pm

Please see this:

Chapter 18 Annex G

Referees

1. References are not taken up for all applicants. They should, however, be taken up
where there is any doubt as to full capacity (Annex A), character (Annex D),
language (Annex E) or future intentions (Annex F) and in all cases, before going out
for police interview.
2. Where references are taken up, both referees are required to:

be British citizens; and

be aged 25 or over; and have known the applicant for at least 3 years; and not be a solicitor, agent or relative of the applicant (to ensure that they know the applicant personally and not just in a professional capacity. Similarly, doctors and dentists may also be unsuitable if they see the applicant only in a professional capacity); and not be related to each other; and not to have been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the past ten years

3. Unless it appears otherwise, it should be assumed that the referees meet the
requirements in paragraph 2 above; we make no routine checks to ascertain whether
the referees meet these requirements.
4. If it is clear from any information we may have that a referee does not meet one or
more of the requirements in paragraph 2 above, the applicant should be asked to
provide an additional referee. This should be done by sending a Referee - additional
letter with a referee 6(1) form or referee 6(2) form and the appropriate guidance
notes.
5. Referees are asked:
•
how long they have known the applicant
•
how, when and for what reason they met or meet the applicant
•
to confirm whether, in their opinion, the applicant meets the statutory
requirements other than the residence requirements
•
to give any other information which they think should be taken into account in
considering the application
6. If one of the referees does not reply within a reasonable period consideration of
the application may proceed (to interview, if relevant) on the basis of one satisfactory

reference if the application is satisfactory in all other respects. It is only necessary to
invite the applicant to submit an alternative referee if:

•
the referee who has replied is unwilling to act as a referee, or has cast doubts
on the applicant's suitability for naturalisation; or
•
where both referees prove to be unqualified or fail to respond
In such a case we should ask the applicant to provide an additional referee using the
procedure in paragraph 4 above.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:05 pm

What I want to know is if an Irish person can be a reference. I saw this in a thread but I do not see it anywhere on the BIA site.

magata

Post by magata » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:08 pm

SYH Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to know is if an Irish person can be a reference. I saw this in a thread but I do not see it anywhere on the BIA site.

This is a really good question, will be good to find out for a frien of mine.

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:21 pm

Irish Citizen is good for passport application as per the passport office website. For BA the refree(the one with professional standing) can be of any nationality residing in UK. For example an Indian Doctor or a Priest in a mosque in UK are eligible for refree. I have a friend who used this way and successfully got BC.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:25 pm

thanks guys.

this is going to be difficult it looks like :(

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:28 pm

maveli62 wrote:Irish Citizen is good for passport application as per the passport office website. For BA the refree(the one with professional standing) can be of any nationality residing in UK. For example an Indian Doctor or a Priest in a mosque in UK are eligible for refree. I have a friend who used this way and successfully got BC.
That is incorrect! BOTH referees absolutely have to be British citizens.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:22 pm

or a Priest in a mosque in UK
.... :roll: .... :)
Jabi

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:53 pm

ok after a lot of digging, the closest we have come is an Assistant Teacher in our local school. The problem is that the list of professions only have a "Teacher" listed. Not an assistant teacher.

Would it be OK to use an "Assitant Teacher" as a reference?

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 am

ok after a lot of digging, the closest we have come is an Assistant Teacher in our local school. The problem is that the list of professions only have a "Teacher" listed. Not an assistant teacher.

Would it be OK to use an "Assitant Teacher" as a reference?
Please read the following

British Nationality Applications
Notes on Referees
From the Guidance Notes at Naturalisation as a British citizen

Each referee must have known you personally for at least 3 years. One referee should be a person of professional standing, such as a doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body eg accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). The other must be the holder of a current British citizen passport. Each should be:
aged 25 years or over
not related to you
not related to the other referee
not your solicitor or agent representing you with this application
not employed by the Home Office
We will not accept a referee who has been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the last 10 years and the sentence has not become spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974...

We will not accept a referee who is or appears to be your relative.

Checks will be carried out to ensure that the referees do not have unspent convictions ... and that the referee holding a British passport is qualified to act for you and that their signature is genuine. It is a criminal offence to provide false information knowingly or recklessly punishable with up to 3 months imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding �5,000 or both under section 46(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The JCWI Manual informs us that both referees must be British citizens.

One of the referees must be a "professional". From the Nationality Advice Line, we have the following list of acceptable professions (NOTE: this is a partial list current as of April 2007).
Accountant;
Articled clerk of a limited company;
Assurance agent;
Bank or building society official;
Barrister;
Broker;
Chairman or director of a limited company;
Chemist;
Chiropodist;
Christian Science monitor;
Local/county councilor;
Permanent member of the civil service;
Dentist;
Designated premises supervisor;
Director or manager of a VAT registered charity;
Director or manage of a PLC registered company;
Engineer who holds professional qualifications;
Fire services personnel;
Funeral director;
Insurance agent of a recognized company;
Journalist;
Justice of the Peace;
Legal secretary;
Local government officer;
Manager of Personal Officer of a limited company;
Member of Parliament;
Minister of religion;
Nurse (SEN/SRN);
Officer of the armed forces;
Person holding honours (OBE/MBE);
Personal licensee holder;
Professional photographer;
Police Officer;
Post Office official;
President or secretary of a recognised organisation;
Salvation Army officer;
Social worker;
Solicitor;
Surveyor;
Teacher/lecturer;
Trade Union officer;
Qualified travel agent;
Valuer or auctioneer who are members of an incorporated society;
Warrant officer;
Chief Petty officer.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 am

thanks thats great. have read all that but given our predicament, we are contemplating using the Assitant Teacher and go with the risk of them rejecting the reference. Since the list doesn't contain an "Assitant Teacher". Only a teacher.

Worst case scenario: they will ask for another reference or something.

There really isn't anyone else and its quite difficult.

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:18 am

thanks thats great. have read all that but given our predicament, we are contemplating using the Assitant Teacher and go with the risk of them rejecting the reference. Since the list doesn't contain an "Assitant Teacher". Only a teacher.

Worst case scenario: they will ask for another reference or something.

There really isn't anyone else and its quite difficult.

If you feel you should do it, go for it

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Dawie wrote: That is incorrect! BOTH referees absolutely have to be British citizens.
I have an email from HO confirming that the referee (professional standing) can be of any citizenship residing in UK. I also know couple of guys who got their BC with non-british referees.

Bizzare as it sounds any Priest can be a referee

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:49 pm

Edit!
Last edited by sakura on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:49 pm

Sakura,
read the guide again !!! and thanks Sakura for deleting your post

And here is the proof. Page 24 of AN guide

One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a
doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, e.g.
accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
professional persons can be found on our website.

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Sakura,

One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a
doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, e.g.
accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
Correct!

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:02 pm

magata wrote:
Sakura,

Correct!
So does this person have to be residing in the UK. I have a friend who was admitted to practice law in the UK but recently moved to France.

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:56 pm

If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of
your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing
may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has professional standing in that country,
has known you for three years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm Post subject:

If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of
your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing
may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has professional standing in that country,
has known you for three years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.

Would you mind issuing us with the source for this valuable information?

Thanks a lot

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:09 pm

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:23 pm

If that was a response to my post, what I meant is that mosques do not have priests. They have imams or even sheiks. But priests... I think not.
Jabi

maveli62

Post by maveli62 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:38 pm

Docterror wrote:
If that was a response to my post, what I meant is that mosques do not have priests. They have imams or even sheiks. But priests... I think not.
All the same, middlemen

magata

Post by magata » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:33 am

maveli62

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:09 pm Post subject:

On page 24
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... dance1.pdf

maveli62, many thanks for your respponse

regards

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 pm

It appears that getting a reference from the Assistant Teacher is also no longer an option. She has only know her for 2 years and a few months! :(

We didn't realize it was going to be this difficult to get the professional reference.

The only other option I can think of is to just use a person whose profession is not in the list and apply...then hope for the best.

magata

Post by magata » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:26 am

sywahu Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 pm Post subject:

It appears that getting a reference from the Assistant Teacher is also no longer an option. She has only know her for 2 years and a few months!

We didn't realize it was going to be this difficult to get the professional reference.

The only other option I can think of is to just use a person whose profession is not in the list and apply...then hope for the best.
Sorry to hear it, That could be an option that you can follow, if you feeel you should do it!!!

All the best