ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from tier 4 to tier 2 before completion of Masters

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pamsk
Newly Registered

Switch from tier 4 to tier 2 before completion of Masters

Post by pamsk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I completed my BSc in the UK from 2010-2014, and I am now doing my MSc in the UK from 2014-2015. Both on different Tier 4 visas. My MSc end date is September, however, I have an offer for a job to start as soon as possible. Since my course ends in September, and I would like to start working now i.e July, am I able to switch to a Tier 2 visa (within the UK, and not go back to my country) and continue to finish my masters and start my job at the same time? Also, how long does the whole process take?

I really appreciate any help. It is quite time-sensitive and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

luckysunny

Re: Switch from tier 4 to tier 2 before completion of Master

Post by luckysunny » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Hello,

No, you cannot switch to tier 2 inside the UK without completing your course.

If you decide to switch to Tier 2 before completing your course, you will have to leave the UK and apply for the Tier 2 visa outside of the country. You will need to get a restricted COS. Tier 2 restricted COS are being over-subscribed at the moment, so you may or may not get the COS right away - that is dependent on how many points you would get. If you will be getting a high salary, chances are, you won't have to wait a very long time. If you take this route, a resident labour test would also need to be done.

If you wait until your course is finished, you can apply for an unrestricted COS and switch to tier 2 within the UK. Also, you would not have to go through a resident labour test.

You can study while you're on a Tier 2 visa as long as it does not interferes with your main job.
pamsk wrote:Hi all,

I completed my BSc in the UK from 2010-2014, and I am now doing my MSc in the UK from 2014-2015. Both on different Tier 4 visas. My MSc end date is September, however, I have an offer for a job to start as soon as possible. Since my course ends in September, and I would like to start working now i.e July, am I able to switch to a Tier 2 visa (within the UK, and not go back to my country) and continue to finish my masters and start my job at the same time? Also, how long does the whole process take?

I really appreciate any help. It is quite time-sensitive and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 pm

So even if I've completed my Bachelors in the UK I cannot switch? Just to note, I've already completed my bachelors and right after the bachelors I chose to do a masters in the UK?

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:09 pm

So even if I've completed my Bachelors in the UK I cannot switch? Just to note, I've already completed my bachelors and right after the bachelors I chose to do a masters in the UK?
luckysunny wrote:Hello,

No, you cannot switch to tier 2 inside the UK without completing your course.

If you decide to switch to Tier 2 before completing your course, you will have to leave the UK and apply for the Tier 2 visa outside of the country. You will need to get a restricted COS. Tier 2 restricted COS are being over-subscribed at the moment, so you may or may not get the COS right away - that is dependent on how many points you would get. If you will be getting a high salary, chances are, you won't have to wait a very long time. If you take this route, a resident labour test would also need to be done.

If you wait until your course is finished, you can apply for an unrestricted COS and switch to tier 2 within the UK. Also, you would not have to go through a resident labour test.

You can study while you're on a Tier 2 visa as long as it does not interferes with your main job.
pamsk wrote:Hi all,

Thanks!

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:54 am

I think if you got your second Tier 4 no greater than 28 days before your first Tier 4's leave ended/was curtailed, you should be good to switch without an RLMT and before completing the Masters.

If your course ended and you left the UK, and you applied for your new visa more than 28 days after that date (when your leave would have been curtailed), you wouldn't be able to switch.

luckysunny

Post by luckysunny » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:53 am

pamsk wrote:So even if I've completed my Bachelors in the UK I cannot switch? Just to note, I've already completed my bachelors and right after the bachelors I chose to do a masters in the UK?
When did you complete your bachelors degree? And when did you start your Masters degree?

Are you currently in the UK on a Tier 4 visa to complete a Masters which will end in September?

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:07 am

My first tier 4 end date was Oct 2014, but then got my new tier 4 by Sept 2014?
confusedm wrote:I think if you got your second Tier 4 no greater than 28 days before your first Tier 4's leave ended/was curtailed, you should be good to switch without an RLMT and before completing the Masters.

If your course ended and you left the UK, and you applied for your new visa more than 28 days after that date (when your leave would have been curtailed), you wouldn't be able to switch.

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

I completed my bachelors on 17th July 2014 (but had my visa until Oct 2014), went back home to apply for new tier 4 which I got in Sept 2014 and started my masters on 15th Septhember 2014. And yes Im currently in the UK on a Tier 4 visa to complete a Masters ending in September.

What are the different possibilities? Can I go back home and apply for Tier 2 without RLMT? Or any other possibilities?

luckysunny wrote:
pamsk wrote:So even if I've completed my Bachelors in the UK I cannot switch? Just to note, I've already completed my bachelors and right after the bachelors I chose to do a masters in the UK?
When did you complete your bachelors degree? And when did you start your Masters degree?

Are you currently in the UK on a Tier 4 visa to complete a Masters which will end in September?

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Anyone?

fx125

Post by fx125 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:39 pm

pamsk wrote:Anyone?
Hello pamsk, I think it would be faster if you take time to read documents from the Home Office, instead of asking in a public forum. According to it,

"You can only switch into Tier 2 if you meet the following criteria:

you must have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave or a period of continuous leave1 which includes your last grant of leave; A period of continuous leave includes grants of entry clearance where you applied no more than 28 days after your previous leave lapsed and/or any periods of overstaying in the UK of no more than 28 days."

In our case, you have a bachelor degree, earned in your previous T4, and you applied for current T4 before your previous T4 ends. So ur bachelor earned during a period of continuous leave as mentioned above. Thus, you can switch to T2 and exempted from labor test, using ur bachelor. U don't need to wait for ur Master degree.

Hope it helps.

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks fx125 and everyone else who have responded so far! I think I understand my situation now.

But just one last thing to clarify based on the below information. My first tier 4 end date was Oct 2014 but I left the UK in July 2014 to go home where I applied for my second tier 4 more than 28 days after I left the UK. So I mean does my first Tier 4 visa expire as soon as I leave the UK (July 2014) or on Oct 2014? Because I left the UK on 17th July 2014 and applied for my second tier 4 visa on 1st Sept 2014 - that's more than 28 days however through all this time my 1st tier 4 visa was still valid?

If someone can please confirm this then it will sort out all my issues!
fx125 wrote:
pamsk wrote:Anyone?
Hello pamsk, I think it would be faster if you take time to read documents from the Home Office, instead of asking in a public forum. According to it,

"You can only switch into Tier 2 if you meet the following criteria:

you must have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave or a period of continuous leave1 which includes your last grant of leave; A period of continuous leave includes grants of entry clearance where you applied no more than 28 days after your previous leave lapsed and/or any periods of overstaying in the UK of no more than 28 days."

In our case, you have a bachelor degree, earned in your previous T4, and you applied for current T4 before your previous T4 ends. So ur bachelor earned during a period of continuous leave as mentioned above. Thus, you can switch to T2 and exempted from labor test, using ur bachelor. U don't need to wait for ur Master degree.

Hope it helps.

fx125

Post by fx125 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 pm

No, ur visa expiry date stated on the visa itself, not the date u leave UK.

confusedm
Newly Registered

Post by confusedm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Btw, note that while you can apply using an unrestricted CoS based on your circumstances and you don't need a RLMT, you can only apply from INSIDE the UK. If you apply from outside the UK, you need a restricted CoS and for your employer to do a RLMT. So you're better off going back to UK and applying from there.

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Yes I am in the UK right now, the only time I went back was in July 2014 to Sept 2014 to apply for my new tier 4 visa. The only thing is I asked someone else and they said since I applied for my new tier 4 visa outside of the UK it may not be possible to switch to tier 2 based on my bachelors? Is this information wrong? Just to note again I applied and received my new tier 4 whilst my old tier 4 was still valid - only that i applied for the new one at home not in the UK.
confusedm wrote:Btw, note that while you can apply using an unrestricted CoS based on your circumstances and you don't need a RLMT, you can only apply from INSIDE the UK. If you apply from outside the UK, you need a restricted CoS and for your employer to do a RLMT. So you're better off going back to UK and applying from there.

pamsk
Newly Registered

Post by pamsk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 am

So I tried calling the UK Visas telephone and they charge 1.37 pounds per minute??! It would take me 5 mins alone to just explain my situation.

Anyway, if someone could answer the above question please? Does continuous leave mean staying in the UK and applying for the new visa? or because I went back home and applied, i'm not in 'continuous leave' category?