ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel to europe withELR

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

adanfeld
Newly Registered

travel to europe withELR

Post by adanfeld » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:26 pm

Hello ! I am Russian citizen married to British Citizen got my ILR . Question do I need a visa to travel to Europe ?

secret.simon

Re: travel to europe withELR

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes.

Only EEA citizens have the unqualified right to travel across the EEA. Their dependants can travel freely, provided they travel with their EEA citizen sponsor or are traveling to join them. But they do not have that right independently of the sponsor.

You could travel without a visa, provided you are traveling with your wife or to join your wife in another EEA country. You will need proof of your relationship to her (your marriage certificate) and proof of her EEA citizenship (her British passport, if she is traveling with you). But be prepared for delays at immigration.

You are better off applying for a Schengen visa beforehand.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:27 pm

secret.simon wrote:Yes.

Only EEA citizens have the unqualified right to travel across the EEA. Their dependants can travel freely, provided they travel with their EEA citizen sponsor or are traveling to join them. But they do not have that right independently of the sponsor.

You could travel without a visa, provided you are traveling with your wife or to join your wife in another EEA country. You will need proof of your relationship to her (your marriage certificate) and proof of her EEA citizenship (her British passport, if she is traveling with you). But be prepared for delays at immigration.

You are better off applying for a Schengen visa beforehand.
+1

Also you'll find 99% of airlines will err on the side of caution (since they get huge fines) if they don't see a proper visa in your passport....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

gpm468

Post by gpm468 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Wanderer - when you say airlines will 'err on the side of caution', what right do they have to deny boarding? Surely they are discriminating unfairly etc if they don't respect the law?

BTW, my wife went straight through French immigration (with me) at St Pancras last week with no schengen visa (I am UK citizen).