ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American Green Card through Marriage Help

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TamaraJ
Newly Registered

American Green Card through Marriage Help

Post by TamaraJ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:13 am

My husband (Canadian) and I (born in USA) were married on Sept 17th (he moved to the USA Sept 11th).
We started to fill out the mountain of paperwork but then got nervous that we weren't doing it properly.
There is a ton of immigration advice, as well as a ton of immigration attorney's available online, but which to trust?

Our questions (to start with) are: Is this process something we can do ourselves or would we be better off getting an attorney?

Is there a website that offers correct, detailed, step by step instructions on how to fill out each of the necessary forms, which are the necessary forms for our situation, and which order to send them in?

Suggestions on an attorney websites that are reasonably priced (keeping in mind my husband is currently unable to work until we get his work visa)?

Thanks!

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 am

You don't normally need an attorney for a spouse visa. However, I can see you might have a problem. I am not sure how it works for Canadians, who don't use the Visa Waiver Program, but you are normally not allowed to move to the US before getting married. The only exception is for people who go to the US for a visit, change plans and end up getting hitched. In that case you are allowed to adjust status. I have heard that USCIS are not very strict in this regard, so your husband may not have difficulties. However, if they do check you might have trouble, since you got married so soon after he moved there.

The most important thing at the moment is that he should not leave the US. If he does, he won't be able to come back without an immigrant visa. You may find yourselves stuck like this couple.

I suggest you post in this forum. Even though it's called British Expats, it's actually a forum on marriage based visas to the US. Some immigration attorneys occasionally post there as well. Good luck.

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Re: American Green Card through Marriage Help

Post by Lev Kobrin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 pm

TamaraJ wrote:My husband (Canadian) and I (born in USA) were married on Sept 17th (he moved to the USA Sept 11th).
We started to fill out the mountain of paperwork but then got nervous that we weren't doing it properly.
There is a ton of immigration advice, as well as a ton of immigration attorney's available online, but which to trust?

Our questions (to start with) are: Is this process something we can do ourselves or would we be better off getting an attorney?

Is there a website that offers correct, detailed, step by step instructions on how to fill out each of the necessary forms, which are the necessary forms for our situation, and which order to send them in?

Suggestions on an attorney websites that are reasonably priced (keeping in mind my husband is currently unable to work until we get his work visa)?

Thanks!
The following Forms should be sent to USCIS in one set:
1) I-130
2) G-325A for you
3) G-325A for your husband
4) I-485
5) I-765
6) I-864 (Affidavit of Support
7) Medical Exam Form
8) I-131
Besides, you should submit all supporting documents, such as birth, divorse (death), marriage, etc. certificates.

TamaraJ
Newly Registered

Post by TamaraJ » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Why would we need to file the I-131 form if he is already in the States?
I am under the impression that the doctor form wouldn't need to be filled out until the interview process took place.

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Post by Lev Kobrin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:23 pm

TamaraJ wrote:Why would we need to file the I-131 form if he is already in the States?
I am under the impression that the doctor form wouldn't need to be filled out until the interview process took place.
Just in case if he needs to travel while his application is pending.
It is better to send whole set at one time, including Medical.