ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change in Spouse name in ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

IBFI
Newly Registered

Change in Spouse name in ILR application

Post by IBFI » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi,

I am in a weird situation. My wife started using my family name as her surname for the last 2 years and her bank statements, NI card, driving license and Life in the UK certificate has the new sur name

I've my ILR PEO family appointment in a week's time, and I just realised we used her maiden name in all the previous visa applications (WP, HSMP & Tier1)

Her passport has my full name added as the spouse, even though her name has not been updated yet.

Will this create any problem with our ILR application? Any help here would be much appreciated.

I noticed there is no "previously known name" field for dependends

ilr_hsmp2007

Re: Change in Spouse name in ILR application

Post by ilr_hsmp2007 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:49 pm

IBFI wrote:Hi,

I am in a weird situation. My wife started using my family name as her surname for the last 2 years and her bank statements, NI card, driving license and Life in the UK certificate has the new sur name

I've my ILR PEO family appointment in a week's time, and I just realised we used her maiden name in all the previous visa applications (WP, HSMP & Tier1)

Her passport has my full name added as the spouse, even though her name has not been updated yet.

Will this create any problem with our ILR application? Any help here would be much appreciated.

I noticed there is no "previously known name" field for dependends

It will not create any problem at PEO office, particularly in person interview.
You need to show the change of name proof - like passport endorsement with the name change attested by ur home country embassy , other documents in original (like NI ,Driving licence...etc)

IBFI
Newly Registered

Post by IBFI » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 am

@ilr_hsmp2007, thanks for the reply.

Has anyone had similar experience before ? I read posts that said the surname / last name should be changed in the passport before started using them? Is that not the case?

IBFI
Newly Registered

Post by IBFI » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am

Any advice on this by seniors will be much appreciated, please?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 am

Take your marriage certificate along.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

IBFI
Newly Registered

Post by IBFI » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Many thanks

ilr_hsmp2007

Post by ilr_hsmp2007 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:32 pm

IBFI wrote:@ilr_hsmp2007, thanks for the reply.

Has anyone had similar experience before ? I read posts that said the surname / last name should be changed in the passport before started using them? Is that not the case?
In general ,For the spouse surname change is amended passport is attested by the home country Embassy as proof. You can't simply change the surname changing. OR Marriage Certificate showing the Spouse name before marriage and after marriage ....etc

If you have Driving Licence/NI card show the name change is also fine. They won't trouble you that much in PEO Office.

Passport name change means - not in the First /Last page name chaging the name ...Embassy attest the name change in one of the passport pages with the reason as "Surname Change after marriage" as-------.

This can be done filling a surname change form at ur home country embassy.It will take 1/2 days to get this done. check the same.

IBFI
Newly Registered

Post by IBFI » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 pm

[quote="ilr_hsmp2007"][quote="IBFI"]@ilr_hsmp2007, thanks for the reply.

Has anyone had similar experience before ? I read posts that said the surname / last name should be changed in the passport before started using them? Is that not the case?[/quote]

In general ,For the spouse surname change is amended passport is attested by the home country Embassy as proof. You can't simply change the surname changing. OR Marriage Certificate showing the Spouse name before marriage and after marriage ....etc

If you have Driving Licence/NI card show the name change is also fine. They won't trouble you that much in PEO Office.

Passport name change means - not in the First /Last page name chaging the name ...Embassy attest the name change in one of the passport pages with the reason as "Surname Change after marriage" as-------.

This can be done filling a surname change form at ur home country embassy.It will take 1/2 days to get this done. check the same.[/quote]

Thanks, Luckily my wife's passport is amended with the surname + Marriage certificate + NI / Driving license - so we should be OK I guess. Thanks very much for your reply

IBFI
Newly Registered

Post by IBFI » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Got the ILR today for all 3 of us

- Wife passport had <First Name> <Maiden Name>
- Page 3 of the Passport had an endorsement entered by Indian embassy 4 years ago saying "spouse name entered as <my first name>, my all previous application had her name as <First Name> <Maiden Name>
- Life in the UK, all cohabitation proofs had her name as <her first name> <my name> (thats the convention in south india)
- In the application form I entered her name as <her first name> <my name>

Case worker asked me no questions at all. only one cohabitation proof was asked (i had just 2 anyways)

Thanks everyone

ninad_itm
Newly Registered

Post by ninad_itm » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi - I am applying for ILR (Tier 1 General) with my wife as Dependant. Her Passport and Biometric has her name as was before our marriage. However all her documents in the UK for example bank statements, NI, rent agreement etc. are with her name after marriage.
Therefore her passport and biometric name will be different to all our proofs of cohabitation i.e. bank statements etc. How do I prove that the passport/biometric and the bank statements are of the same person? I have a Indian marriage certificate. A quick response and some help will be much appreciated as I am applying shortly.

ninad_itm
Newly Registered

Post by ninad_itm » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:36 am

Hi - can anyone please help. I am really Confused and scared about my situation. Repeating my situation above again- my wife will be applying for ILR but her passport and biometric has her maiden name whereas all her cohabitation proofs such as rent agreement, bank statements etc has her after marriage name. What options do I have? Please help!

vinny

Re:

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 am

sushdmehta wrote:Take your marriage certificate along.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ninad_itm
Newly Registered

Post by ninad_itm » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 am

Thank you Moderator. Will my marriage certificate be sufficient to prove that my wife is the same person with two different surnames? Or do I need any kind of affidavit? If not, I was thinking of changing her name on the bank statements to match that on her biometric and passport, is that a more safer option?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:50 am

ninad_itm, Have you made an effort to read through the topic that you have posted in?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ninad_itm
Newly Registered

Post by ninad_itm » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:50 am

Dear Moderator, I did read all the posts and am continuously reading other posts to find a solution to my problem (but unfortunately still confused).
The above posts are pointing me to change my wife's name in the passport. If I do that then the name in her passport and biometric will not match, which will ultimately require me to change her name on her biometric as well. I do not have enough time to make all these changes as my visa expires next month.

You suggested me to take my marriage certificate as a proof of my wife's name before and after marriage. My question is whether I need to follow the route of changing her name on passport or would the marriage certificate be sufficient? Sorry if I am missing something.