ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which passport for our son?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

covind
Newly Registered

Which passport for our son?

Post by covind » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:50 am

My husband was granted ILR in June 2015 and our son was born in March 2015 before my husband applied for ILR. I am on Dependent of Tier 1 General Migrant visa which was granted in June 2015 and is valid for three year. My husband intends to apply for British Citizenship next year.

We need to travel abroad now so we need to apply for our son's passport. Can you please advise if we can apply for British passport for our son yet or not? Also which form do we need to fill?

Please let me know if you need any other info. Thank you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Which passport for our son?

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Before entitlement to a British passport your child will have to be registered as a British Citizen on form MN1 as they were born before your husband was granted ILR.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _06_15.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/overview

The registration fee for a child is £749.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 pm

It isn't stated in the OP's post but the assumption is that the child was born in the UK. Only then is the child eligible to be registered as a British citizen.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:14 pm

sushdmehta wrote:It isn't stated in the OP's post but the assumption is that the child was born in the UK. Only then is the child eligible to be registered as a British citizen.
+1
Good point.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

covind
Newly Registered

Post by covind » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Yes, baby was born in the UK. Thank you.

covind
Newly Registered

Post by covind » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Thank you for the info Casa. So, I will need to apply for British Citizenship first for our son.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:39 pm

You'll first need to register your child as British, as you'll see in the link I've posted. You don't say what the time scale is for your travel plans, but bear in mind that registration may take some time and once this has been approved you will then need to apply for their passport.
(Casa, not CR001)