ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permitted Absences Exceptions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rgem
Newly Registered

Permitted Absences Exceptions

Post by rgem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Hello,
I would really appreciate your advice on the following please:

My days outside of UK are in excess of the normal permitted absences. Specifically:
- 460 in the last 5 years (450 normal limit but up to 480 could be disregarded)
- 320 in the last 3 years (480 normal limit but up to 300 could be disregarded)
- 260 in the last 1 year (90 normal limit, in excess of 180 days may be disregarded if links with UK and compelling reasons)

My wife is a British citizen. The reason why I have exceeded the limits has to do with fact that I have started to work in Continental Europe in end of 2014. Prior to that I had moved to UK in 2007 working full time so can show continued presence in UK going back 8 years.

Can you please advise whether you think I can still apply successfully for the British citizenship? What would be the exceptional circumstances that would allow me to exceed the normal requirements? All my property is in UK.

I would dread losing the application fee as it is a considerable amount of money so would really appreciate your input on whether it is worth applying or not and whether any particular points in the application could help improve the chances.

Please help.

red-sea-angel
Newly Registered

Re: Permitted Absences Exceptions

Post by red-sea-angel » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:43 pm

I have read that it's highly unlikely discretion will be applied when there are absences exceeding 180 days in the final 12 months. Have a look at Annex B for the residence requirements....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... structions

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will be along to advise you further.

Good luck!

rgem
Newly Registered

Post by rgem » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 am

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated!

If there is anyone else in this forum with additional information please let me know.

TheMouseReturns

Post by TheMouseReturns » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:28 am

As said by someone else, it's doubtful that discretion would be applied. You've been out of the UK for well over 8 months of the last year with no compelling reason.
rgem wrote:I would dread losing the application fee as it is a considerable amount of money so would really appreciate your input on whether it is worth applying or not and whether any particular points in the application could help improve the chances.
The only thing that could help improve your chances would be to live in the UK for the required time.