ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jassy93
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by jassy93 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi guys needed some guidance on filling out the AN for naturalisation form:

1. I came to the UK with my parents when I was under 16 years of age and got ILR on 06/04/2011. I am 23 yrs old and have now saved up enough money to apply. I completed my Life in the UK test in 2012 and have the certificate, do I still need to do an additional test for B1 CEFR? I have been to primary school, high school and college in the UK.

2. I have 6 penalty points on my license for speeding and have paid the fines (all within last 12 months) is it likely for my application to be refused, should I wait as the fee for applying is quite a big amount for me.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you! :)

snu
Newly Registered

Post by snu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:53 pm

hello everyone :)
the time has come! hopefully I'll be submitting my AN form soon.

I have a few questions:

I'm a Polish national and have moved to UK in 2008.
I started BA degree course on 22.09.2008 and I've also found work and started 6.10.2008.
I've left my first job 7 months later and I've never registered with WRS, because at the time I was convinced that it was not necessary...
I've then stayed in my 2nd job for 4 years.

1. Am I right in thinking that my qualifying period only counts from the date I've worked continuously at my second job for 12 months (therefore didn't have to register with WRS anymore)?
2. If the above is not true, is my qualifying period related more to the fact that I was primarily a student when I first came to UK (started full-time studies before I found a job, and was working part time)?

I'd really REALLY appreciate any info on this :?

dewang81
Newly Registered
India

Post by dewang81 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi guys,

I need your help filling the new AN form specifically point 1.53 regarding 10 year work experience.
My situation is -
1. I came to UK on student visa on September 2006
2. Passed my post-graduation on September 2007 with distinction
3. successfully granted "The Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme" visa for 2 years in December 2007
4. started full-time permanent jobs from April 2008 to June 2011, July 2011 to September 2013 and from September 2013 to till date
5. successfully granted "HSMP: General Tier 1" visa in July 2009
6. successfully granted "HSMP: General Tier 1" extension visa in July 2012
7. successfully granted ILR in June 2014

The issue is that during my student visa I used to work in stores and during December 2006 period I worked on two part-time jobs. I believe that I might have worked more than the allowed work hours per week during certain times of the student visa especially during bank holidays or term breaks or dissertation.

Can someone please advise on how should I proceed with my British Citizenship? Should I wait till December 2017?

Any help or advice is welcome.

najas
Newly Registered

Question regarding Language Requirements

Post by najas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 am

Hi,

I have certain clarifications regarding our application for naturalisation and registration. Kindly help with information. Myself and two children (one born in UK and one born in India) got our PR in Sep 2011. My wife got her PR on Oct 21,2013.

Q1) I have Life in the UK passed and also the B1 CEFR issued by Trinity College. My wife has only "Life in the UK" pass certificate. She submitted a letter from her B.E college in India during her PR application and there was not other requirements. Is this still valid or she also have to complete a B1 CEFR

Q2) Our son was born in UK before both of us got P.R. He has a Indian passpprt. Does he have to go through a naturalisation or can he apply for a British Passport directly.

Many Thanks

Najas

pnb
Newly Registered

Post by pnb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi I submitted my application on 28th April 2015 for naturalisation through NCS. I used the march 2015 application form.
Wondering if this is correct application form at that time!. I can see a new version may 2015 now.
Was there any modified version in april 2015 that I missed. Please help.

dewang81
Newly Registered
India

Re: Question regarding Language Requirements

Post by dewang81 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:55 pm

najas wrote:Hi,

I have certain clarifications regarding our application for naturalisation and registration. Kindly help with information. Myself and two children (one born in UK and one born in India) got our PR in Sep 2011. My wife got her PR on Oct 21,2013.

Q1) I have Life in the UK passed and also the B1 CEFR issued by Trinity College. My wife has only "Life in the UK" pass certificate. She submitted a letter from her B.E college in India during her PR application and there was not other requirements. Is this still valid or she also have to complete a B1 CEFR
Answer: As per new rules the 'English Language' is a requirement for British Citizenship so she will have to get B1 CEFR certification. I know this, since my friend's wife also had similar situation and she had to get B1 CEFR for citizenship.

Q2) Our son was born in UK before both of us got P.R. He has a Indian passpprt. Does he have to go through a naturalisation or can he apply for a British Passport directly.
Answer: For your sons, you will have to apply MN1 form (separately for each child). Once the MN1 form is successful and you'll receive a letter stating the citizenship for your sons, you can then apply for his british passport and return his Indian passport and request for OCI/PIO card.

Many Thanks

Najas

Gomjaba

Post by Gomjaba » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:44 pm

I am confused about the duplicate sections (EEA National here).

In Section 1.53 - you enter your employment details during the past 10 years
In Section 2.4 - you enter dates again (basis of stay / worker / employed etc.)
In Section 2.5 - you once more enter the employer details from section 1.53 ??

What dates do you enter in 2.4 ?

If you worked for example

01/01/2013 - 31/12/2013 / Company A
01/01/2014 - 31/12/2014 / Company B

Do you enter a line for each company or just

01/01/2013 - 31/12/2014 Worker / Employment ???

missy_86
Newly Registered

Post by missy_86 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:18 am

Hi guys,

So AN Form Personal Information.
1.5 My surname (taken husbands last name and it reflects on passport, ILR and all documents except Marriage cert)
1.6. My first name

The question is about 1.7 and 1.8 - where do I put my maiden name?

Thank you so much in advance!

missy_86
Newly Registered

Post by missy_86 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:20 am

Pay wrote:Guys

Page 3 of application form -

1.5 is only asking for Surname , where do I put the first name ?

Thanks
That would be 1.6

Joythornz
Newly Registered

Post by Joythornz » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi newbie here and this is actually my first post.

I am a spouse of a British Citizen and I am currently on ILR visa. I have passed the Life in the UK test and will take my B1 language test soon. I am now considering to apply for citizenship. I need help regarding filling the AN application form as I am confused with some of the questions on the form in relation to my case which the AN guidelines have not mentioned or specified.

1.17 Please provide your address for the last 5 years.
I came here in 2005 and still currently living on the same address. Should I put same address on five entries or three since this is the requirement for a spouse of BC and just change the dates each year?

2.2 Please give details of all absences from the United Kingdom during the last five years. If you are married or in a civil partnership to a British citizen, give details for the last three years only
How do I answer this as I have never been outside the UK since I came here in 2005?

My possible answer highlighted in red below. Should I just leave the below blank? Please advise of what would be an acceptable answer..

Country visited - NONE
Reason. For example holiday, business, visiting relatives - Not Applicable
Date of departure from the United Kingdom/territory
DDMMYY - Not Applicable
Date of return to the United Kingdom/ territory
DDMMYY - - Not Applicable
Total number of days absent - 0

Lastly, my daughter who is already 19 will also apply for naturalisation. She has an ILR visa. On question 1.27, should she put her biological father's name or her stepfather's (my British husband) name?

Hoping for your kind assistance to clarify the above issues.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Joythornz wrote:Hi newbie here and this is actually my first post.

I am a spouse of a British Citizen and I am currently on ILR visa. I have passed the Life in the UK test and will take my B1 language test soon. I am now considering to apply for citizenship. I need help regarding filling the AN application form as I am confused with some of the questions on the form in relation to my case which the AN guidelines have not mentioned or specified.

1.17 Please provide your address for the last 5 years.
I came here in 2005 and still currently living on the same address. Should I put same address on five entries or three since this is the requirement for a spouse of BC and just change the dates each year? Enter the address once and in the relevant column on the left write the date you moved into the address i.e. 01/01/2010 to Present

2.2 Please give details of all absences from the United Kingdom during the last five years. If you are married or in a civil partnership to a British citizen, give details for the last three years only
How do I answer this as I have never been outside the UK since I came here in 2005? If you have not been out side the UK, you can write 'N/A' or leave it blank.

My possible answer highlighted in red below. Should I just leave the below blank? Please advise of what would be an acceptable answer..

Country visited - NONE
Reason. For example holiday, business, visiting relatives - Not Applicable
Date of departure from the United Kingdom/territory
DDMMYY - Not Applicable
Date of return to the United Kingdom/ territory
DDMMYY - - Not Applicable
Total number of days absent - 0

Lastly, my daughter who is already 19 will also apply for naturalisation. She has an ILR visa. On question 1.27, should she put her biological father's name or her stepfather's (my British husband) name? Her biological father. Does she have 5 years of residence and 12 months on ILR?? Has she done LIUK and English B1 from one of the approved English test providers (question applicable to you too as the approved providers changed in April this year)?

Hoping for your kind assistance to clarify the above issues.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Joythornz
Newly Registered

Post by Joythornz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Thank you CR001 for your prompt response. I appreciate the help in clarifying my confusion.

Yes, my daughter passed her Life in the UK test about a month ago and she will be taking the B1 English test the same date as I am.
She came with me in 2005 as my underage dependent. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, both of us were not able to apply for citizenship sooner when she was under 18 years of age.
She got her ILR same time as I have as a result of her being my dependent during that time.
We both have been living here in the UK for almost 10 years now. So yes, she has the 5 years of residence and we both received our ILR in 2007.
Going back to filling up the father's name in the AN application form, I am unsure of putting her biological father's name on the form. The reason behind this is on her birth certificate, the father's name written was 'unknown'. I deliberately left out that part because the biological father does not want any responsibilities. He was non-existent in my daughter's life since day 1. The registry office in my country of origin accepted this though they did ask me prior to my decision if I want to reconsider putting the father's name on the birth certificate.
Sorry to make this quite lengthy, my question is:

Would she still put her biological father's name on the AN application if her birth certificate does not show this?

I am just trying to ensure everything is consistent with her documents although her birth certificate is not a requirement which she needs to submit for her AN application. But in case the UK Border checks, this 'inconsistency' might delay or even refuse her application for naturalisation.

Again sorry for the lengthy details. Your assistance is much appreciated.

theoand
Newly Registered

Post by theoand » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:22 am

Hi all,

I am applying for my citizenship and I am have some questions concerning my application and I am wondering if you could assist me.

I am Cypriot (Commowealth) and I have moved to UK on 09/2007. My presence in UK is as follows:
- 09/2007 -> 06/2010: Student (UK University 1)
- 06/2009 -> 08/2009: Internship
- 06/2010 -> 09/2010: Internship/Self sufficient
- 09/2010 -> 09/2011: Student (UK University 2)
- 09/2011 -> 06/2014: Full time employed (Employer 1)
- 06/2014 -> 07/2014: Self sufficient
- 07/2014 -> Current: Full time employed (Employer 2)
2.4 – 2.6 If you are a national of a member state of the EEA, or the family member
of an EEA national, and do not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom
you should complete these sections. Please refer to section 6 of the Booklet AN for
further guidance.
If I have had internships while studying do I need to mention them here? Or since they were part to when I was studying I am considered student?

Also I am confused on what papers I require for my form. Would the following be sufficient:
SECTION 1 Evidence of identity: required for all applications
- Original Passport (Cyprus)
SECTION 2 Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK: required for all
applicants:
- Original UK university degree: name and date awarded are shown
- Life in the UK success letter
SECTION 3 Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married or in
civil partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application: required for
applications made on the basis of residence in the United Kingdom: required for all applicants
- Original Passport (Cyprus)
- Do I need to provide letters for both my employers and both my universities for confirming my presence? If so what kind of letters shall I ask and what information should be visible?
SECTION 4 Evidence of settlement for applicants from Switzerland or the European Economic
Area or their non-EEA direct family members see pages 10 to 11 of the Booklet AN
- P60s for the years I have worked
- Letter confirming cover by EHIC during period 9/2007 -> 10/2011
- What does it mean evidence of five years continuous residence in the UK?
- What does it mean confirmation of enrolment and attendance of an accredited course for students? Do I need this since the one out of the past 5 years I was a student?

Sorry for the long email but I am trying to get all required paperwork before arranging my appointment with the council nationality checking service.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,
Theo

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Joythornz wrote:Thank you CR001 for your prompt response. I appreciate the help in clarifying my confusion.

Yes, my daughter passed her Life in the UK test about a month ago and she will be taking the B1 English test the same date as I am.
She came with me in 2005 as my underage dependent. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, both of us were not able to apply for citizenship sooner when she was under 18 years of age.
She got her ILR same time as I have as a result of her being my dependent during that time.
We both have been living here in the UK for almost 10 years now. So yes, she has the 5 years of residence and we both received our ILR in 2007.
Going back to filling up the father's name in the AN application form, I am unsure of putting her biological father's name on the form. The reason behind this is on her birth certificate, the father's name written was 'unknown'. I deliberately left out that part because the biological father does not want any responsibilities. He was non-existent in my daughter's life since day 1. The registry office in my country of origin accepted this though they did ask me prior to my decision if I want to reconsider putting the father's name on the birth certificate.
Sorry to make this quite lengthy, my question is:

Would she still put her biological father's name on the AN application if her birth certificate does not show this?

I am just trying to ensure everything is consistent with her documents although her birth certificate is not a requirement which she needs to submit for her AN application. But in case the UK Border checks, this 'inconsistency' might delay or even refuse her application for naturalisation.

Again sorry for the lengthy details. Your assistance is much appreciated.
Leave father details out then and you can write 'details not known' if you want and only include her mothers details. Step parents are not considered for naturalisation and as she is applying in her own right, she should be fine with only putting her mothers details. I only put my details for my daughter because her father is also not listed on her birth certificate. She got approval without any problems in 2013 within a couple of weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Joythornz
Newly Registered

Post by Joythornz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:38 pm

CR001 wrote:Leave father details out then and you can write 'details not known' if you want and only include her mothers details. Step parents are not considered for naturalisation and as she is applying in her own right, she should be fine with only putting her mothers details. I only put my details for my daughter because her father is also not listed on her birth certificate. She got approval without any problems in 2013 within a couple of weeks.
Thank you for your advice, CR001. I feel a lot better and confident filling out the AN application form. It truly makes a difference when someone share not just the knowledge or know-how but also their successful experience.

I am grateful to your contribution to this. I will let you know how we did with our application.

In the meantime, both my daughter and I will need to pass the B1 English test this coming Saturday first.

Cheers! :D

dewang81
Newly Registered
India

Post by dewang81 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi guys,

I need your help filling the new AN form specifically point 1.53 regarding 10 year work experience.
My situation is -
1. I came to UK on student visa on September 2006
2. Passed my post-graduation on September 2007 with distinction
3. successfully granted "The Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme" visa for 2 years in December 2007
4. started full-time permanent jobs from April 2008 to June 2011, July 2011 to September 2013 and from September 2013 to till date
5. successfully granted "HSMP: General Tier 1" visa in July 2009
6. successfully granted "HSMP: General Tier 1" extension visa in July 2012
7. successfully granted ILR in June 2014

The issue is that during my student visa I used to work in stores and during December 2006 period I worked on two part-time jobs. I believe that I might have worked more than the allowed work hours per week during certain times of the student visa especially during bank holidays or term breaks or dissertation.

Can someone please advise on how should I proceed with my British Citizenship? Should I wait till December 2017?

Any help or advice is welcome.

lifeainteasy
Newly Registered

Post by lifeainteasy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm

hi all need some help,can i apply for naturalization as i have got ILR on 19 August 2014 on Tier 1 HSMP and I have following points to discuss..

1) I had 3 points on my driving licence which i got removed in 2014, I received them in August 2010 for breaking the signal.

2) I have a business and back in June 2013 Immigration people raided one of my stores and arrested 1 guy for whom I paid a fine of £4,000.

3) Got arrested due to being accused of selling counterfeit goods and money laundering in December 2013. I was then released on Bail and in August 2014 I was released off Bail and I am not on Bail anymore but so far haven't received an NFA. When my solicitor speaks to the case incharge from the City of London Police they don't get appropriate answer to whether the case is forwarded to CPS or whether they don't have enough evidence to take the case further.

4) And finally i have got FPN 0n 15th december 2014 for driving the car without proper car seats for my nephew as my child had a proper one.which i have paid straight away.

Now keeping all these points in my mind can i go for the neutralization and declare all these things in the application,and if I am applying shall I mention all the above or shall I not mention some of the above such as my 3 points as I never mentioned that in my previous applications such as my extention in 2012 and my ILR in 2014, I never mentioned about my arrest in my ILR although I don't feel there was any requirement to do so, can someone help me on this please???

missy_86
Newly Registered

Post by missy_86 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:56 pm

missy_86 wrote:Hi guys,

1.5 My surname (taken husbands last name and it reflects on passport, ILR and all documents except Marriage cert)
1.6. My first name

The question is about 1.7 and 1.8 - where do I put my maiden name?

Would really appreciate your advise on this. :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:30 pm

missy_86 wrote:

1.5 My surname (taken husbands last name and it reflects on passport, ILR and all documents except Marriage cert) Your surname as it appears in your passport and other official documents. Your maiden name is always shown on the marriage certificate, it is indicating the identity of the two people getting married, not the names after marriage.

1.6. My first name Correct, all your names excluding surname. So if you are Jane Smith, then just write Jane but if you are Jane Sarah Debby Smith, then you write Jane Sarah Debby only.

The question is about 1.7 and 1.8 - where do I put my maiden name? Complete your full name in 1.7

Char (CR001 not Casa)

missy_86
Newly Registered

Post by missy_86 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:12 am

CR001 wrote:
missy_86 wrote:

1.5 My surname (taken husbands last name and it reflects on passport, ILR and all documents except Marriage cert) Your surname as it appears in your passport and other official documents. Your maiden name is always shown on the marriage certificate, it is indicating the identity of the two people getting married, not the names after marriage.

1.6. My first name Correct, all your names excluding surname. So if you are Jane Smith, then just write Jane but if you are Jane Sarah Debby Smith, then you write Jane Sarah Debby only.

The question is about 1.7 and 1.8 - where do I put my maiden name? Complete your full name in 1.7

Thank you Char, will include maiden name in 1.7 then

aplicant111
Newly Registered

Post by aplicant111 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:09 am

Hi, sorry can I barge in and ask a question here>?
let's say my name is Anne Williams, maiden name Kelly,
I put Williams in 1.5, Anne in 1.6, and Anne Kelly in 1.7, or just Kelly in 1.7? Because I was told by the helper on the phone that just my maiden name there.....at least that is what I understood

Abhishek_P
India

Post by Abhishek_P » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi

I am filling the AN form and not sure what to write in section 6.5 Place of Issue (for BRP)

The BRP card has no mention of place of issue.

Any idea.

Many Thanks
Abhi

Musicbox
Newly Registered

Post by Musicbox » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 am

Hello all,
I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I've written this in the wrong posting...

My wife is Thai with a Thai passport in her maiden name, she has ILR in the UK and is married to me (British). We want to get her Naturalization in the UK so as she can get a British passport. Two questions please...

1. Can she apply for Naturalization using her passport in her maiden name as section 1.7 states she should change her passport before applying to my surname, but this would mean traveling to Thailand to do this and very costly to translate documents to Thai.

2. Can you have duel passports with two different surnames.. That is, her Thai Passport in her Maiden name and British Passport in her married name???

Very confused here as all along getting ILR etc living in the UK, we had to use her original Maiden name on forms. I understand our marriage certificate proves we are married with my surname but read we may need to register on the application form after she has changed her passport / ID in Thailand... is this correct? She has many things registered in the UK like her Driving licence, bank details, work etc in her married name already.

Kind regards to all in advance

Roy

manis
Newly Registered

Post by manis » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Everyone. Filling Out Citizenship Application For My Wife. Help Needed Urgently.
Have Appointment With NCS On 18/08/2015.

Question 1. Page 5. (Address for last 5 years. did i have to write my current address as well in this page.)

Question 2. Page 8. ( Passed B1.1 CEFR - Trinity College London -when applied for ILR. What Should i Write in Title of Qualification - is that B1.1 OF THE CEFR. And Level of Qualification Is That GRADE 5. And where is Award Reference Number written on Certificate.)

Question 3. Page 25 ( BIOMETRIC ENROLMENT- If i am enclosing biometric card issued- first time with ILR application - Did i have to fill question 6.12. if yes then did i have to provide the details finger prints taken on (Entry Clarence Application) first application Abroad or they are asking for the recent application made in uk for ilr.

please everyone if you can help me out with this, as i have only 2 days left for appointment.
many thanks

manis
Newly Registered

Post by manis » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:05 am

Abhishek_P wrote:Hi

I am filling the AN form and not sure what to write in section 6.5 Place of Issue (for BRP)

The BRP card has no mention of place of issue.

Any idea.

Many Thanks
Abhi

Place Of Issue UK you can write UNITED KINGDOM
Date Of Issue : -- -- --