ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Becoming "self-suffcient" status in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aslkdzm
Newly Registered

Becoming "self-suffcient" status in UK

Post by aslkdzm » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:56 pm

My mother is a German citizen and has been staying in Germany for the past few decades. She is now retired and wishes to spend her time staying in UK indefinitely in a friend's home as a "self-sufficient" person.

Since my mother has sufficient money and is retired, obtaining a self-sufficient status in UK should be easy. My question is : how long does the administrative process take to become officially self-sufficient in UK? For some reasons, my mother would like to obtain this status as fast as possible once she set foot in UK.

Also, now she is retired does she still need to have comprehensive sickness insurance for the self-sufficient status?

Self-sufficiency: http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Latest/ByPage/part1_4

Thanks in advance.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Becoming "self-suffcient" status in UK

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 pm

An EU national has to exercise its treaty rights after three months since being newly arrived and self sufficiency is one of such mode of exercising treaty rights. I believe her pension income should make her self sufficient and more preferably to demonstrate that such income can regularly be transferred into UK account. Moreover, even without becoming self sufficient she can live in UK indefinitely but if she want to get UK PR leading to British citizenship then then will have to exercise her treaty rights for 5 years.

NOTE:
CSI (comprehensive sickness insurance) will be required for claiming self sufficiency.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:53 am

If she merely wants to live in the UK, she does not need to prove self-sufficiency. She can just come and live with her friend. I do not think she needs CSI for this either.

But if she wishes to settle in the UK (a legal status), she will need to exercise treaty rights by being self-sufficient for five years. She will then automatically get PR, which is settled status.

If she does wish to settle, she will need CSI. Indeed, she will be more likely to need it than less now that she is retired.

I believe that an EHIC card from Germany valid for the five years would be sufficient to cover the CSI requirements (I could be wrong).

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:24 am

secret.simon wrote:
I believe that an EHIC card from Germany valid for the five years would be sufficient to cover the CSI requirements (I could be wrong).
EHIC card may fulfill the requirement if the stay is temporary, usually in case of EU students.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

salmuzeey

Post by salmuzeey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:16 pm

sheraz7 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
EHIC card may fulfill the requirement if the stay is temporary, usually in case of EU students.
Hey Sheraz

I am an EU student but dont have any EHIC card-i might be entitled for one but i do have the actual card with me- (come to the uk to study in 2011) do i still need a CSI? And is it true that i have to wait for 3 months so that my wife can make an application after obtaining the cover?