ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Start Own (small) Business while on Tier-2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khans

Start Own (small) Business while on Tier-2

Post by khans » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Forum,

I am currently on employer sponsored Tier-2 General, recently extended for 3 years (ILR eligible in 2 years) working for an A list employer.
My question is whether I am able to start my own small business to generate an alternative income stream on my current leave? I know there are restrictions in place on taking up work in a similar role up to 20 hours a week and home office guidance doc also mentions secondary employment. There is however no mention of self employment anywhere. I have read here in some posts that I can start my own business without the need of changing categories or making new applications but some say it's not allowed at all.
It will be great if someone can clear the confusion and give a more detailed explanation of what the reality is and if there is any online literature I can read up on the topic.

Best,
Khans

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Start Own (small) Business while on Tier-2

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:02 pm

You can't, but your dependant(s) can if you have any.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

khans

Post by khans » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:32 pm

and your source of this information is ...?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:00 pm

I read it on the back back of a matchbox.

hassanh
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by hassanh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Wanderer wrote:I read it on the back back of a matchbox.
I think it was little harsh from Wanderer.

Hi Khan,

if you go through policy guidance and see point 214 on page 55, it will clear everything. It says:

You cannot take employment, except:
 working for the sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
 supplementary employment; and
 voluntary work; and
 you have been granted leave in the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) category, and you are playing for your national side whilst you are in the UK or doing temporary additional work as a sports broadcaster.

Also, this has been discussed and concluded so many times on this forum that Tier 2 visa holders cannot start/run business or cannot be self employed. Just search this forum for related topics like business on tier 2, self employment on tier 2 etc and you will get the clear understanding.

I hope my answer will help?

Regards,
Hassan

khans

Post by khans » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:18 pm

Brilliant! I thought this forum had a strictly no dimwits policy - clearly some have slipped through! Have a good life buddy !

khans

Post by khans » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:20 pm

hassanh wrote:
I think it was little harsh from Wanderer.

Hi Khan,

if you go through policy guidance and see point 214 on page 55, it will clear everything. It says:

You cannot take employment, except:
 working for the sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
 supplementary employment; and
 voluntary work; and
 you have been granted leave in the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) category, and you are playing for your national side whilst you are in the UK or doing temporary additional work as a sports broadcaster.

Also, this has been discussed and concluded so many times on this forum that Tier 2 visa holders cannot start/run business or cannot be self employed. Just search this forum for related topics like business on tier 2, self employment on tier 2 etc and you will get the clear understanding.

I hope my answer will help?

Regards,
Hassan
Cheers bud! I've gone through this earlier but it's not really 100% clear. I'll dig a little more and see if I can find something more substantial.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:07 pm

khans wrote:
Brilliant! I thought this forum had a strictly no dimwits policy - clearly some have slipped through! Have a good life buddy !
Bit of high-horsed riposte to my Fawltyesque quote I thought!

Here's my (impeccable) source anyway.

http://bfy.tw/yf9