ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 Surinder Singh 3 Month Success Story

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

violet26

Re: EEA2 Surinder Singh 3 Month Success Story

Post by violet26 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Can people please tell me how effective is the "surinder singh" route, for example going to Ireland if all documentation is correct or if you use a service which assists this for a fee????

violet26

Post by violet26 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Any help and we would be grateful xxx

st2447

Post by st2447 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:46 pm

DanChak wrote:An EU1 card has a lot of advantages if you are patient enough to get it.
Your parents do not have to apply a visa called EEA family permit to move to the UK
They can travel to all Schengen countries without applying for a visa if accompanied by you.
DanChak, do you have any sources that you can travel to the UK with an just an EU1 using SS?
Im asking because I know a couple who got refused admittance to the UK under regulation 9 recently who only presented their irish EU1 card and passports. I think you have a good chance if you bring all your documents you applied for a EU1 with you.

Voilet26:
All the information that you need to do the SS route is available free on the internet. Its very effective if you obtain all the documents and follow all the steps.
I would only recommend using a solicitor if you think you need help filling out forms,

I am familiar with the 'service provider' that you mention.

If you feel you are unable to find a property and job then i'd say possibly they are an option to consider , otherwise your free to ask for help on here.
Surinder Singh
Arrived in Ireland with Pakistani Spouse: 27 Jan 2014
Returned to the UK with Spouse without Family Permit: 7 May 2014
Applied EEA2: 8 June 2014
Received COA with right to work: 19 June 2014
Received UK Residence Card: 30 July 2014

violet26

Post by violet26 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Thank you for your replies, can anyone give me any links to the internet help for the SS route, i think we could find accomodation and possible a job even if it is only a part time job as there is no minimum requirements for hours and salary, but its all the legal and document stuff cos if we miss out one thing then we loose everthing, im ok filling out forms, but its finding out which forms and were to get them, and exactely what documnentatio is needed, a stage by stage account would be great, or the SS route for dummies....im a florist and sometimes not very good with legislation...lol....but we do appreciate all your replies and comments, i know we will get there someday x

st2447

Post by st2447 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:08 pm

here is the surinder singh for dummies 2015

Surinder Singh

violet26

Post by violet26 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:16 pm

printing as we speak.....lol

DanChak

Post by DanChak » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:13 am

st2447 wrote:
DanChak wrote:An EU1 card has a lot of advantages if you are patient enough to get it.
Your parents do not have to apply a visa called EEA family permit to move to the UK
They can travel to all Schengen countries without applying for a visa if accompanied by you.
DanChak, do you have any sources that you can travel to the UK with an just an EU1 using SS?
Im asking because I know a couple who got refused admittance to the UK under regulation 9 recently who only presented their irish EU1 card and passports. I think you have a good chance if you bring all your documents you applied for a EU1 with you.

st2447

You are right. You have to bring all supporting documents when crossing the border and not just the EU1 card.
Recently candy2012 brought his mother via Ireland with her German Residence Card and all supporting documents to prove that she lived with him in Germany.

Bur the safe way would be to apply for the family permit to bring parents to the UK once your parents are living with you as a non-EU dependent family member. This permit would be issued under Regulation 9 (Singh) and, as things currently stand, to qualify you (the UK Citizen) needs to have been a worker in the EU state.

Your parents then apply for a UK Residence Card once they arrive in UK.

The UKBA are more lenient when it comes to spouse but not with regards to parents.

violet26

Post by violet26 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 am

Ok so does anyone know, can my partner renew his passport whilst still here in UK through the Algerian embassy and if so what documents would he need, he has his expired passport and can get his birth certificate sent to us from his family. Would he need passport signed photos and would they need to be signed, like we do for UK passports?
Also the guy who started this thread gives a stage by stage account of his SS route, however he travelled from england to ireland with his wife so im assuming she had a valid passport and were already married, this is how we differ, they applied for an accompany EU spouse visa, so if we go to Algeria to get married what would we have to apply for for him to follow me to Ireland???
The rest of the route i would assume i would follow the same from that point.

mak35

Post by mak35 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:57 pm

If you feel you are unable to find a property and job then i'd say possibly they are an option to consider , otherwise your free to ask for help on here.
Hi St244,
With regards to the 'service provider' I can see some banners going on this website with 'Immigration Assistance Services'. Is this what you and voilet26 are referring to?
Has anyone used their services before and know if they are a credible resource?

Samantha1728
Newly Registered

Post by Samantha1728 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:02 pm

st2447 wrote:I've created this thread so I can answer any questions people may have who are considering using Surinder Singh to bring their families over to the UK but are worried about the new 'center of life' rules. This forum contained most of the information that helped with my success.

I'm a British citizen and even though my salary was enough for me to apply for a Settlement visa for my Pakistani wife ,I know there was up to 6 month wait for the visa as there was a backlog on settlement cases and I had read a lot of stories that people were being refused for minor mistakes.
I decided that it would be quicker and more interesting to use the Surinder Singh method to get to the UK. I thought of the 3 months in another EU country as a Honeymoon / Holiday.

Since I don't consider myself a great story teller, I’ll just list the steps I took.

1. I chose to apply for an Ireland Directive 2004/38/EC Visa due to Ireland’s proximity and shared language/culture to the UK (link to visa cover letter). I applied for an accompany EU spouse visa in late December 2013 and was granted the Visa in mid-January 2014. I flew to Ireland with my wife on the 27th of January 2014. At the airport my wife was given a 90 days stamp on her passport and explained if we wished to stay longer we need to apply for a EU1 card.

2. On arrival in Dublin I stayed in a hotel while I tried to find some rented accommodation. It took around a week to find a place. Daft.ie is a good place to start. I had some difficulties as people were reluctant to rent out to someone without a previous landlords reference. The rent in Dublin was around 500 euro for a 1 bedroom flat so I looked further out and found a house to rent in Co Laois for 600 a month. I signed a 6 month tenancy agreement, the landlord was in the process of selling his property so I was lucky it sold in 4 months and I was able to save on 2 months rent.

3. I moved into the rented house on the 3rd of February 2014. The landlord switched over the Gas and Electric bills to my wife’s and my name. I also asked my landlord to register me and my wife as tenants with the PRTB on the property.

4. We applied for a PPS number at the local Social Welfare Branch Office. Our joint tenancy agreement and passports were sufficient. It took some convincing and standing our ground for them to agree to issue my wife a PPS number, due to her being non EEA. They made a few phone calls and finally agreed to accept her application. Our PPS numbers arrived through the post a few days later.

5. We signed up for Sky TV, landline and broadband on the 8th of February. They don’t do a credit check, just need to pay 50 Euro on any Credit/Debit Card (I used my UK card).

7. Applied for a joint AIB bank account on the 12th of February. Used PPS no, passports and tenancy agreement as ID.

8. I decided to go self-employed, offering various computer services so I applied for a business bank account. Once that was open, I registered for Income Tax with the Revenue and created a website.

9. I registered a business name with the CRO, in the name of my computer services related business website.

10. I registered me and my wife with the local doctor, I requested a letter from the doctor confirming my registration.

11. I exchanged my UK driving license for an Irish license. It’s very easy to do and I assume it helps with proving that you transferred your center of life.

12. I paid for my business expenses with by business debit card and tried to use my personal account as much as possible instead of paying cash for bills and shopping. I also registered with the local library.

13.. Once I received my PRTB registration letter and I had 2 months of invoices, I applied for a EU1 Ireland residence card for my wife in April. I sent our passports, PPS letters, bank statements, work invoices, tax, PTRB, and business registration documents. I received all the documents back in around a week (before the 90 days were up on her passport stamp) and a letter to take to the Guarda (police) for a temp Stamp 4.

14. The Guarda give us an appointment in a few weeks (for the end of April). They issued my wife a 6 month Temporary stamp 4 which extended our permission to stay in Ireland for 6 months whist the EU1 was being decided.

15. I obtained a reentry visa from the INIS in Dublin (free of charge) in case I had difficulty in entering the UK so we could reenter Ireland as opposed to her being sent back to Pakistan from the UK.

16. On the 7th of May we drove to Belfast Airport (UK). I took with me all the documents that I had sent for the EU1 and a print outs of Directive 2004/38/EC , the immigration act with relevant parts highlighted and a FOI request and email confirming that a Family Permit is not required when travelling from Ireland as it is part of the Common Travel Area.

15. On Arrival at Manchester airport, I couldn't find anyone to request a 1A stamp so we headed home in England.

16. I tried to open a bank account for my wife but I had difficulty proving her status here so I applied for an EEA2 card on the 8th of June. I included exactly the same documents I had sent for the EU1 card in Ireland including the doctor’s letter and a copy of my Ireland driving license and library card. I did not include a cover letter though I did include a special delivery SAE.

18. I received a COA with the right to work on the 19th of June which helped me register her with the NHS, open a bank account and obtain a NI number.

19. I had redirected our mail from Ireland to the UK and had not got a reply on our EU1 Application yet so I thought I’d forget about hearing back from the Home Office regarding the UK Residence card until the 6 months were up.

20. I thought I had a slim chance as I has only lived in Ireland for 3 months and a week and with the Center of Life changes to regulation 9 but I was pleasantly surprised when I received my documents back including my wife’s residency card sticker on her passport on the 30th of July.

I have to thank God, the forum members and mods. I wouldn't have had a clue about what I was doing if I didn’t spend time reading the questions from member and replies from the mods. If anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer.

Hi! Thanks for this, very useful and good to know! I have a question about your rental contract - most rentals are minimum of 6 months; how did you manage to get out of it early? I was hoping to only stay 3 or 4 months in Ireland if possible!

Many thanks

Sam

st2447

Post by st2447 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:13 pm

mak35:
Yes, I know of people who used I.A.S for SS successfully.

Samantha1728:
It was a 6 month tenancy but luckily for me the landlord had an offer and it was sold after 4 months.
Surinder Singh

hsmpguy1234
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpguy1234 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 am

Asking again as there was no response ...

Dear st2447,

Thanks for sharing your experience and then having the patience to answer the basic questions like mine.

In your cover letter you said:

I have attached flight confirmation that I will be travelling to Dublin with my spouse to satisfy section 4.5 of the visa guidelines

Did you buy tickets from Pakistan, before getting your visa, and attached those with your application?

Also, did you book any accommodation before applying for visa?

As the application form asks for Contact/Host/Accommodation details. I am assuming that this is required for Visit visa applications, but ... still ... just in case ...

Regards,

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 am

mak35 wrote:

Hi St244,
With regards to the 'service provider' I can see some banners going on this website with 'Immigration Assistance Services'. Is this what you and voilet26 are referring to?
Has anyone used their services before and know if they are a credible resource?
Does anyone have the contact details for this "Service Provider"? If so, could someone please pm me.Thanks.
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

st2447

Post by st2447 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:26 am

hsmpguy1234 wrote:Asking again as there was no response ...

Dear st2447,

Thanks for sharing your experience and then having the patience to answer the basic questions like mine.

In your cover letter you said:

I have attached flight confirmation that I will be travelling to Dublin with my spouse to satisfy section 4.5 of the visa guidelines

Did you buy tickets from Pakistan, before getting your visa, and attached those with your application?

Hi, yes I did

Also, did you book any accommodation before applying for visa?

No, I didn't. I just entered N/A in all the fields

As the application form asks for Contact/Host/Accommodation details. I am assuming that this is required for Visit visa applications, but ... still ... just in case ...

Regards,
Surinder Singh

hsmpguy1234
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpguy1234 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks for the update.

kunfayakun
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by kunfayakun » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:42 am

Dear st2447,

First I am really Thanking you for sharing your experience to help us. If you don't mind can I ask you some question please as I am in Ireland exercising my treaty rights under the SS route to UK and your help would be really appreciated.

I want to contact the Freedom of Information UK therefore can I have the contact email please??! which you have mentioned in your post saying you got an email reply from FOI regarding your entry to UK query. Because I want to ask them the same thing you asked so it will give more confident and I can show it to in the immigration check when I enter UK through Belfast without family permit.

I am almost ready to apply for the EU1 in Ireland so is there any possibility in sharing me your cover letter or help me what should I write on it please?!
Thank you.
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

s-m
Newly Registered

Post by s-m » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks for sharing the Great Success story. I am a British national married to non EEA national. My wife is living with me in England. Initially she was granted a settlement visa for 30 months. She has to apply for FLR with in few moths from now. we have a baby girl who is nearly one year old.
Lately I had a look on new forms and requirements for FLR. It seems to me even hard to fulfill all the requirements. I am a self employed while my wife is not working due to babycare.
I wonder if its possible for me to move to Ireland or another Eu country for some time. I mean taking Surinder Sing route. what type of visa will she require to stay in an EU country with me and what will be my wife's immigration status if we come back to UK in future may be with in a year time.
Please let me have some suggestions if possible.
Kind Regards

Abs566
Newly Registered

Post by Abs566 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:24 am

Hi,
My query to board members.
How long did INIS take in returning their passports and documents. Someone who has recently received their documents back could give me a approx processing time would be ideal.
Thanks

Nemo30
Newly Registered

Post by Nemo30 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 am

Hi Abs566,

For the EU1 application- it took around 1 month for INIS to return the documents and passports in our case. They have to process the EEA applications quickly.
Hope that helps.

maaberglady45

Post by maaberglady45 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:11 am

maaberglady45 wrote:Thats really fast.

You were lucky to get 90 days stamp for your wife, Am a British national and recently arrived with my non EEA husband but he was only given 30 days stamp in his passport

Very unfair for them to do that to us... :cry: :cry:
Means I ve to do loads of running around within one month
used this route and guidelines for my non eea husband and he finally got his 5 years RC. Thanks to St2447 and this forum. Loads of help and infomation.

mongle
Newly Registered

Post by mongle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:30 pm

[quote="Abs566"]@Danchak
Sorry to have not posted an update. Yes my parents did receive their visa within 10 weeks on 29/5/15. They are flying to Dublin in 2 weeks.[/quote]

@Abs566 - Good to read about your progress. Did you solicitor mention anything about why it took so long. Maybe i am wrong, but i thought EEA family visa had to be done on accelerated basis within 4 weeks? Was this in the Indian consulate?

Abs566
Newly Registered

Post by Abs566 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:54 am

mongle wrote:
Abs566 wrote:@Danchak
Sorry to have not posted an update. Yes my parents did receive their visa within 10 weeks on 29/5/15. They are flying to Dublin in 2 weeks.
@Abs566 - Good to read about your progress. Did you solicitor mention anything about why it took so long. Maybe i am wrong, but i thought EEA family visa had to be done on accelerated basis within 4 weeks? Was this in the Indian consulate?
@mongle
This was done in Pakistan. Unfortunately, with some counties including Pakistan all the paper work comes to Dublin for processing. This is what took a long time to get entery clearance visa.
Hppe this helps!

Kamran786
Newly Registered

Post by Kamran786 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12 pm

st2447 wrote:I've created this thread so I can answer any questions people may have who are considering using Surinder Singh to bring their families over to the UK but are worried about the new 'center of life' rules. This forum contained most of the information that helped with my success.

I'm a British citizen and even though my salary was enough for me to apply for a Settlement visa for my Pakistani wife ,I know there was up to 6 month wait for the visa as there was a backlog on settlement cases and I had read a lot of stories that people were being refused for minor mistakes.
I decided that it would be quicker and more interesting to use the Surinder Singh method to get to the UK. I thought of the 3 months in another EU country as a Honeymoon / Holiday.

Since I don't consider myself a great story teller, I’ll just list the steps I took.

1. I chose to apply for an Ireland Directive 2004/38/EC Visa due to Ireland’s proximity and shared language/culture to the UK (link to visa cover letter). I applied for an accompany EU spouse visa in late December 2013 and was granted the Visa in mid-January 2014. I flew to Ireland with my wife on the 27th of January 2014. At the airport my wife was given a 90 days stamp on her passport and explained if we wished to stay longer we need to apply for a EU1 card.

2. On arrival in Dublin I stayed in a hotel while I tried to find some rented accommodation. It took around a week to find a place. Daft.ie is a good place to start. I had some difficulties as people were reluctant to rent out to someone without a previous landlords reference. The rent in Dublin was around 500 euro for a 1 bedroom flat so I looked further out and found a house to rent in Co Laois for 600 a month. I signed a 6 month tenancy agreement, the landlord was in the process of selling his property so I was lucky it sold in 4 months and I was able to save on 2 months rent.

3. I moved into the rented house on the 3rd of February 2014. The landlord switched over the Gas and Electric bills to my wife’s and my name. I also asked my landlord to register me and my wife as tenants with the PRTB on the property.

4. We applied for a PPS number at the local Social Welfare Branch Office. Our joint tenancy agreement and passports were sufficient. It took some convincing and standing our ground for them to agree to issue my wife a PPS number, due to her being non EEA. They made a few phone calls and finally agreed to accept her application. Our PPS numbers arrived through the post a few days later.

5. We signed up for Sky TV, landline and broadband on the 8th of February. They don’t do a credit check, just need to pay 50 Euro on any Credit/Debit Card (I used my UK card).

7. Applied for a joint AIB bank account on the 12th of February. Used PPS no, passports and tenancy agreement as ID.

8. I decided to go self-employed, offering various computer services so I applied for a business bank account. Once that was open, I registered for Income Tax with the Revenue and created a website.

9. I registered a business name with the CRO, in the name of my computer services related business website.

10. I registered me and my wife with the local doctor, I requested a letter from the doctor confirming my registration.

11. I exchanged my UK driving license for an Irish license. It’s very easy to do and I assume it helps with proving that you transferred your center of life.

12. I paid for my business expenses with by business debit card and tried to use my personal account as much as possible instead of paying cash for bills and shopping. I also registered with the local library.

13.. Once I received my PRTB registration letter and I had 2 months of invoices, I applied for a EU1 Ireland residence card for my wife in April. I sent our passports, PPS letters, bank statements, work invoices, tax, PTRB, and business registration documents. I received all the documents back in around a week (before the 90 days were up on her passport stamp) and a letter to take to the Guarda (police) for a temp Stamp 4.

14. The Guarda give us an appointment in a few weeks (for the end of April). They issued my wife a 6 month Temporary stamp 4 which extended our permission to stay in Ireland for 6 months whist the EU1 was being decided.

15. I obtained a reentry visa from the INIS in Dublin (free of charge) in case I had difficulty in entering the UK so we could reenter Ireland as opposed to her being sent back to Pakistan from the UK.

16. On the 7th of May we drove to Belfast Airport (UK). I took with me all the documents that I had sent for the EU1 and a print outs of Directive 2004/38/EC , the immigration act with relevant parts highlighted and a FOI request and email confirming that a Family Permit is not required when travelling from Ireland as it is part of the Common Travel Area.

15. On Arrival at Manchester airport, I couldn't find anyone to request a 1A stamp so we headed home in England.

16. I tried to open a bank account for my wife but I had difficulty proving her status here so I applied for an EEA2 card on the 8th of June. I included exactly the same documents I had sent for the EU1 card in Ireland including the doctor’s letter and a copy of my Ireland driving license and library card. I did not include a cover letter though I did include a special delivery SAE.

18. I received a COA with the right to work on the 19th of June which helped me register her with the NHS, open a bank account and obtain a NI number.

19. I had redirected our mail from Ireland to the UK and had not got a reply on our EU1 Application yet so I thought I’d forget about hearing back from the Home Office regarding the UK Residence card until the 6 months were up.

20. I thought I had a slim chance as I has only lived in Ireland for 3 months and a week and with the Center of Life changes to regulation 9 but I was pleasantly surprised when I received my documents back including my wife’s residency card sticker on her passport on the 30th of July.

I have to thank God, the forum members and mods. I wouldn't have had a clue about what I was doing if I didn’t spend time reading the questions from member and replies from the mods. If anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer.

Hi this is very useful thanks, quick question. Will it be a problem if I go to Pakistan once my wife gets her visa and return to Ireland with her?

Sehrishj
Newly Registered

Post by Sehrishj » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 pm

I am wondering if you can help me .. i got married in January 2015 .. Stayed with my husband till April and came back to UK .. Went back again for few weeks and now I want to bring my husband to UK .. Could you please tel me if I move to Ireland ... How can my husband come there if we want to do this surinder Singh route
Thank u in advance

Sehrishj
Newly Registered

Post by Sehrishj » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Thank you for sharing ur experience I am in a similar situation as wel .. My husband is in Pakistan .. Shall I go to pak and he should apply for visa for Ireland and then should we travel together ? I really want to bring him to UK so I am looking to go surinder Singh s route .. Please let me know