ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 SOC code and promotions

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

klauzevic
Newly Registered

Tier 2 SOC code and promotions

Post by klauzevic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi all,

Hoping you can give me some advice on a curious question..

I'm currently on a Tier 2 (General) visa. It has been extended once, and I'm planning to apply for ILR in a year.
Same employer all these years.

My SOC code is '3543 Marketing associate professionals'. This was originally assigned back when I first applied for Tier 2. Since then I have been promoted twice, and my salary has more than doubled. My employer is recommending that the same SOC code still applies regardless of promotions, because my occupation hasn't changed.

However I am a little worried about any potential impact of having an outdated SOC code at the time of ILR application. Please could anyone advise if this is something to be concerned about? Can SOC code be challenged at the time of ILR application? Should I be asking my employer to go through RLMT and potentially change the code to '1132 Marketing and sales directors '? Probably would want to avoid it. But is it OK to remain on the same code as originally issued despite the two promotions and a significant change in salary?

My new role could fall under both codes. This feels like a grey area, reading through different cases online I see that there were precedents in the past where others have faced issues with IRL because of similar situations, I’m trying to avoid that.

What can I do to make sure the choice of SOC code isn't challenged at ILR application? Should I go with my employer's recommendation regarding the SOC code (they are saying it still applies to the job, and therefore no need to change).

Thank you, appreciate your advice!