ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non visa required spouse of Irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Non visa required spouse of Irish citizen

Post by Frances1978 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm from a non-visa required nation and am considering moving to Ireland with my irish spouse. Does anyone know what I need to do? I asked the Irish consulate in my country and they said something about having to apply for residency and that taking 6 months or so and that I cannot work in the meantime. Is this true? I've read some other posts which suggest that the spouse of an irish citizen is issued with a stamp 4 at the GNIB and this allows them to work, all in a matter of minutes. I hear I just need to show up at the airport with our marriage certificate (and my spouse) as well, with no prior entry clearance required,.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:16 pm

Yes,that's true most of the time.

Fidel ET
Newly Registered

spouse of irish national

Post by Fidel ET » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm

yes called the other day to find that right now DOJ are working on the applications submitted in dec 06. So that means its taking at least 10 months.

archigabe

Re: spouse of irish national

Post by archigabe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Fidel ET wrote:yes called the other day to find that right now DOJ are working on the applications submitted in dec 06. So that means its taking at least 10 months.
Is this for change of status for foreign nationals who married their irish spouses in Ireland?

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:48 pm

That's a complete shambles - ten months to find out? is that for EU1? I'd be exempt from that?

So, in general, are the steps I have to take as follows?

1. Show up at Dublin airport with my spouse and get a stamp and a note to visit the GNIB, as I'm not visa required.

2. Go to the GNIB with our marriage certificate, my spouse, and his irish passport, along with additional documentation for a stamp (if so, which one?)

I've had problems getting a straight answer out of the embassy and even the irish govt departments (I've heard this is far too common) so would like some advice from someone who's been in this situation.

It's only an idea - if it's too hard, then we'll consider other countries.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Fidel ET
Newly Registered

Post by Fidel ET » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:36 pm

yes a ten month wait for those non eu who marry an irish national in ireland.in my case i am an irish citizen married in ireland to non eu who at the time of marriage Jan 07 was holding a temporary residence card as an asylum seeker. So in our case my husband needs permission to remain. Our application was submitted in March 07> i figure it will be at least jan 08 before we hear from DOJ.Incidentally does anyone know what documentation we should be collecting up in order to be ready for submission when we hear from them.

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:44 am

Is there a difference in procedure depending on whether someone marries within the country, rather than marrying overseas?

From what I read, the procedure can be straight forward, but others are seemingly waiting periods of time that are just too long (ten months is just a ridiculous amount of time when the spouse could be working and paying tax in the country).

I'm still a bit confused as to what I'm to do, as a lot of the posts I've read appear to be around D spouse visas (I don't think this applies to me as I'm a New Zealand national, hence not visa required) and then there is some mention of people applying to the Department of Justice at times.

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm

As somebody who does not need a visa to enter Ireland (I think Fidel's situation is completely different to yours) you just need to arrive in Ireland with your spouse, your marriage certificate and then explain that you are here to settle. You then have x amount of days (I forget how many) to report to the local GNIB office for an interview. For us it was extremely informal. I had brought a ton of paperwork but all he asked to see was our passports and marriage certificate. Then my wife got a 1 year stamp and an ID card, and from that minute my wife was permitted to work.

That's how it worked for us at least. By the way, you should take anything Irish consulates tell you with a pinch of salt. It seems they are the last to be informed about any changes in Irish laws and procedures. Contact the DoJ directly.

Good luck.
Kevin

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Non visa required spouse of Irish citizen

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Frances1978 wrote:I'm from a non-visa required nation and am considering moving to Ireland with my irish spouse.
You have an irish spouse so can not apply for EU1 unless you are both living and working in the EU right now.

Silvina
Newly Registered

Post by Silvina » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:36 pm

Kevarms, when did you do that? was it in Dublin or in other city? I am italian, married to an Argentinian and we have been living in spain for four years. Do I have to do what you did or should we aply for a EU1?

I also think is INSANE to be kept waiting for 10 months when you can be working and paying tax in the Republic....

Let me know ASAP, I heard like ten different opinions on this matter and they all are different, I would like to know firsthanded from someone who actually went through it.

All the best

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Silvina wrote:Kevarms, when did you do that? was it in Dublin or in other city? I am italian, married to an Argentinian and we have been living in spain for four years. Do I have to do what you did or should we aply for a EU1?

I also think is INSANE to be kept waiting for 10 months when you can be working and paying tax in the Republic....

Let me know ASAP, I heard like ten different opinions on this matter and they all are different, I would like to know firsthanded from someone who actually went through it.

All the best

Yes, I'm afraid you will have to apply using EU-1 as neither you nor your spouse is Irish. So, the bad news is you will have to wait months for your application to be processed. The good news is it should be accepted as you have been living together in Spain.

It sucks I know.