ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstaying - Legal Aspect

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:19 am

It's interesting reading here that the ECO's now seem to be taking a dim view of overstaying, even counting against an application for legal settlement.

I just asked my gf about what she, as a person in the UK on a time-limited visa, what she thought of overstaying. She thinks it's never excusable and must be some sort of offence.

Which made me think, is it ever excusable and more importantly, it overstaying actually an civil or criminal breach of the Law? If it is then aren't ECO's justified in treating it as such?

Excusable? If it where me I'd always give someone one chance, but it's not me making the decisions....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:43 am

See also OEM Section B, Chapter 10 - Persons liable to administrative removal under section 10 (10.2 Criminal offences):
In addition, it is an offence under section 24(1)(b ) of the 1971 Act for a person to knowingly overstay or otherwise knowingly fail to observe a condition of leave. However, the 1999 Act provides for removal to be carried out under the administrative arrangements contained in section 10 (as above) for which there is no requirement that the person must knowingly have overstayed or otherwise knowingly failed to observe a condition of their leave.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sammie121

Post by sammie121 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:31 pm

She thinks it's never excusable and must be some sort of offence.
Easy to say until different situations/circumstances come into play..................

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:55 pm

sammie121 wrote:
She thinks it's never excusable and must be some sort of offence.
Easy to say until different situations/circumstances come into play..................
And what are those?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ilm

Post by ilm » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:17 pm

I think a few 'overtsayers' do not take the seriousness of their breaking the law seriosuly enough. All too often we hear from those who feel it is not their fault they overstayed their visa and that their case is somehow more important than others.

We have seen a few cases lately where overstayers claim to have been refused settlement visas, where, in the past they may have been accpeted however, reading the actual reasons for refusal, there is more to it than just overstaying and more to do with the overstaying being used to doubt other points.

When we made an application we were very carefull to fully document my wifes history in the UK and attempted to justify her position and reasons for doing so. I wonder if some of the recent applications trivialise and attempt to deny responsibilty for the overstay and this is where the HO are applying the rules more strictly? I may be wrong but I believe an application that fully demonstrates the rules of a settlement visa are satisfied, inspite of an overstay, is likely to be accepted.

If this is what is happening I believe the HO have got it right. Overstaying does cast doubt on the applicaition and it is up to the applicant to demonstrate it is genuine.

What will be interesting is how the appeal courts judge these cases and how much weight they give to 'overstaying'.
Last edited by ilm on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:45 pm

It's always been the case that overstaying has cuased ECOs to doubt other aspects of a claim.

WHat is new, however, is that overstaying in itself is being used to refuse under the general grounds.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:32 pm

Amanda, do you know of any other cases... or are you referring to the one thread that came up here which the OP is not replying to anymore?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:59 pm

The 2 mentioned on the boards were the first I've ever come across.

Since then, I've come across two more through my work.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 am

I personally don't think overstaying is any more serious than picking your nose or wiping your bum. But then that's because I'm an open border advocate and I don't that there should be ANY conditions attached to ANYONE's stay.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 am

It isn't really a legal issue, it is an admintrative issue that leads to a legal issues.