ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Australia or Canada

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jcs

Australia or Canada

Post by jcs » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi,

I am considering applying for immigration to Australia or Canada. I am an IT professional (software applications programmer) from India having experience working in the UK and the US. I am looking for information and personal experiences of people on Australia and Canada. Having browsed in various websites and forums, I am getting different opinions for both these countries. So I am finding it difficult to come to a decision. I am trying to get comparisons in the following broad categories:

Job prospects
Living standards
Cost of living (salaries, taxes, expenses)
Education
Healthcare
facial discrimination

I would appreciate any suggestions, help and advice.

Thanks!

thinker

hi

Post by thinker » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:56 am

i share your difficulty in getting into the right country. I saw this websites thought you might find it useful, atleast you get a glimpse about Australia & Canada.

Australia
http://www.diyaustraliamigration.com/whyaustralia.html

Canada
http://www.canadianalternative.com/gett ... canada.cfm
Last edited by thinker on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:51 am

Canada has a 5 year waiting time for most skilled migration, so unless you can get a work permit or a provincial nomination you won't likely be going there anytime soon.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Kind of a long-shot since so many people will want to do this, but MicroSoft just made the following announcement specifically to get around the H-1B visa fiasco in the U.S. :

Microsoft opens Canada center in response to US immigration problems
http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007-07- ... couver.htm

You would have to have rather exceptional skills, but the center is largely being opened for foreign-born IT professionals that cannot get into the U.S.

Vancouver is a bit isolated and smallish, and the economy is a bit tight, so it's not been the easiest place to make a living. That may well change rapidly if Microsoft creates a "Canadian Redmond" environment.

Toronto has a booming tech economy, and its location also allows many firms to do direct business in the U.S.

If you get a solid job offer and get sponsorship, either by a specific company or by a province, Canadian immigration can be significantly shorter than 5 years. In some cases as fast as three to five months.

That is a big "IF," though.

However, going to Australia isn't exactly easy without a job offer / company sponsorship, either.

So, your strategy may be better if you try to locate specific job offers that directly match your skills.

Try to emphasize positions that need skills in short supply, therefore increasing your chances of getting sponsorship.

Both countries have sponsorship programs from businesses doing the hiring and from the provincial / territorial governments, so there are multiple options of research available here.

You will need to do that based specifically upon your skills, education, experience, and desire for a particular region or city to relocate to.

As far as integration, Canada may have a slight edge over Australia today given that you are coming from India. The Canadian government has accepted very large numbers of immigrants from India and China in recent years and there are programs in place that might fit 'better.'

Australia generally has the edge today in ease of getting a visa and residency.

So. The shorter answer:

Both countries should suit you. There will be some trade-offs in either place, but in the end they are nearly equivalent as far as all your criteria go.

Try to get some job offers in place, then examine the localized economies to see how far your pay rate for each will go.

the Admin

Laguna
Newly Registered

Post by Laguna » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi all,

I am also pondering whether Australia or Canada? In the UK the roads are small and crowded, and the houses too small. Seen Canada who have the opposite, huge houses and big roads where driving is much easier. Is this true in Australia? I have only seen australian houses as single-storey so in terms of housing and road quality, which is the best place?

Moheb
Newly Registered

Post by Moheb » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Australia all the way guys!
1. Australia's weather is much better in both summer and especially winter !
2. The Australian economy is still stronger ;)
3. Population of Australia is still around 20 million, the country is still growing and needs many new people so there's lots of jobs
4. Crime rate in Oz almost doesnt exist

Check out http://www.FreeHegra.com, it has details about life in Australia in most aspects to give you a better feel of what it's like to be there.

rely

Post by rely » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Everything said and done but yes there is beloved in aus , to what degree it is highly debatable but yes cetainly more than canada.
rely
Moheb wrote:Australia all the way guys!
1. Australia's weather is much better in both summer and especially winter !
2. The Australian economy is still stronger ;)
3. Population of Australia is still around 20 million, the country is still growing and needs many new people so there's lots of jobs
4. Crime rate in Oz almost doesnt exist

Check out http://www.FreeHegra.com, it has details about life in Australia in most aspects to give you a better feel of what it's like to be there.

sjunaidn
Newly Registered

Post by sjunaidn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:03 am

I am living in Australia for the past three years. I am from Pakistan and an IT professional.

If you have the right skills, there is lot of opportunity in Australia and you can get paid very handsomely.

I would recommend Australia.

Bratt
Newly Registered

Post by Bratt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:55 am

The economy in canada is currently higher then aus and the US for that matter
also if you get a job in alberta you can make over $30 an hour

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:34 pm

As with anything, there are pluses and minuses with each country.
e.g. Canada being proximate to the US is linked to the largest economy in the world, but Canada can get quite cold in winter
Australia has great weather and beaches, but you do feel a bit isolated from the rest of the world.

Quality and standard of life is comparable in the two countries.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans