ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

eligibility for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mihai93
Newly Registered

eligibility for citizenship

Post by Mihai93 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm a 21-year-old Romanian citizen and I plan to study and eventually settle in the UK. I would also like to acquire British citizenship after I graduate, but I have a problem regarding the residence period: I read on the internet that if one stays more than 450 days outside the UK during the five/six-year period, they're disqualified from obtaining citizenship and, in my case, the subject I want to major in requires students to spend about 2 years outside the UK. So my question is if I take this course, will I become ineligible for citizenship? Or do these 2 years are counted as if I had lived in the UK because I'm a student in a British university?

mavdi

Re: eligibility for citizenship

Post by mavdi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:59 pm

You won't be eligible.

secret.simon

Re: eligibility for citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:57 am

See also Section 3 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006
Continuity of residence
3.—(1) This regulation applies for the purpose of calculating periods of continuous residence in
the United Kingdom under regulation 5(1) and regulation 15.
(2) Continuity of residence is not affected by —
(a) periods of absence from the United Kingdom which do not exceed six months in total in
any year;
(b) periods of absence from the United Kingdom on military service; or
(c) any one absence from the United Kingdom not exceeding twelve months for an important
reason such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training or an
overseas posting.
(3) But continuity of residence is broken if a person is removed from the United Kingdom under
regulation 19(3).
Regulation 15 is the regulation for Permanent Residence. You need one year of Permanent residence to get citizenship.