ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Backdated housing benefit refused

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bc4indian

Backdated housing benefit refused

Post by Bc4indian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 am

Hi,

I've applied recently for housing benefit which was successful but the backdated request has been refused stating my reason was not compelling.

I was not able to claim benefit previously because I had some complications during the birth after our ILR and my husband was busy looking after babies AND he also been unwell with chronic fatigue syndrome but the benefits officer did not took this in account and refused to backdate my application.

Any thoughts,,,,

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Backdated housing benefit refused

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:36 am

This isn't really an immigration issue. Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) where they will be able to look into your claim.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Anand Reddy
Newly Registered

Need help for Housing Benefit

Post by Anand Reddy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:46 am

Hi All.................

I am Anand , I work full time in retail, Me and My wife live together and we are on ILR. My wife could not find a job because of her English. Still trying her best to find one. we do not have any children. I need help in the housing benefit matter .
I had recently gone through 3 major surgeries for my left eye.Since then I was on and off from my work place on sickness. I had 2 surgeries back to back for my left eye I had to take 6 week sick leave from my work place.
One more tragedy happened now my landlord had given me notice to move from the property as the contract had already finished. As I was away from work for a while I had spend all my savings when i was sick.
I cant afford to pay the deposit and rent .

I don't know what to do now. I will be homeless after 2 weeks.

I need your expert comments ASAP....................

Thank you

Anand

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:52 am

Speak to the Housing Officer at your local Council offices. Some Councils offer help with the deposit for a private rental in cases of extreme hardship. They may be able to provide Social housing, but as your wife is subject to Immigration control your priority (i.e qualifying points) can only be assessed as a single person.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Anand Reddy
Newly Registered

Post by Anand Reddy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:25 am

Hi CASA,
Thanks for your prompt response.

"but as your wife is subject to Immigration control your priority (i.e qualifying points) can only be assessed as a single person"
what do you mean by that.... ???
she is on ILR as well.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:35 am

Ah sorry, I missed that. In which case contact your local Council's Housing Officer, for help on re-housing you both. I don't know which part of the UK you're living in but as you probably know, some areas have more housing available than others. It would be worth checking whether they offer help with the deposit if you are able to find privately rented accommodation. Show written confirmation from your landlord that you have been given notice to vacate your home.
(Casa, not CR001)