ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on residency / tax

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zimbo_100
Newly Registered

Question on residency / tax

Post by zimbo_100 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:47 pm

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help me out with a tricky question... I am a South African currently in UK on a WH visa, and applied for hsmp nearly 6 months ago.

I was previously working in Ireland and also hold a current work visa for Ireland. I am currently working as a salaried employee at a British company, but have been offered a job by an Irish company, to work on a contract in the UK. I would be paid in Dublin for this work.

My question is, what are the implications if I got hsmp and then tried to renew after one year? If I had been resident in UK and working for an Irish company, although contracted to a UK company??? Do you think this would count as being employed in the UK?

Any pointers to any person / webpage etc. which can help me out with this question would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

p.s. is anyone else concerned that the hsmp operational service levels have gone backwards by 8 days since last monday???

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:02 pm

From the detail you give it appears that you will be liable to UK income on your income from the work you do in the UK.

You say "I would be paid in Dublin for this work." .... but either the Irish company would still be liable to deal with UK PAYE anyway, or alternatively you would need to pay UK tax on the income ... direct to the UK Inland Revenue.

Accordingly I don't think there are any implications concerning HSMP ... the fact that the employer is an Irish company appears to be irrelevant ... certainly not from the tax point of view.