ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving English language with a degree from UK-what to provi

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aplicant111
Newly Registered

Proving English language with a degree from UK-what to provi

Post by aplicant111 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi,

I hope that someone can help me. This should be really straightforward but as always it is not. I have obtained a BSc degree in London in 2011, I want to apply for naturalisation soon and not too sure what to provide them with and what to tick on the application.

Is my transcript enough? There is not way I will obtain anything from NARIC as NARIC deals with foreign degrees...I was trying to find anything on this point based calculator, but serious it ask me all about Tier 1 etc visas (I am from EU) so don't even know what to be clicking next just to see how it looks like...

According to the guide I need to provide:

Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your
degree and the level of English
2. An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show
us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK
degree)
3. A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming your
qualification is comparable to a UK degree, plus an official letter from your
university with your name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was
taught in English.
4. An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree
was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except
Canada), plus and original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming that
the equivalent level of your degree, OR
• Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English
speaking country
• Your confirmation that you met this requirement, on or after 28th October
2013, in order to obtain settlement.

And yes, what do I tick on the form?
I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and: DO I TICK THIS
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada); AND THIS?

Because I have no proof that degree meets NARIC criteria?

I would really appreciate some sound advice here:)
Thank you

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Proving English language with a degree from UK-what to p

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:20 am

Use the PBS calculator by following these steps:
1. tier dropdown: select ‘Tier 2 (Skilled workers)’
2. category drop-down: select ‘Tier 2 (General)’
3. ‘where are you applying from?’ question: select ‘Outside the United Kingdom’ (this is the quickest way to get to the required stage in the system)
4. in the following ‘Sponsorship’ and ‘Salary’ stages select either ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ ( it does not matter which)
5. in the ‘English skills’ stage, select ‘I have a UK Bachelor degree-equivalent qualification (or above) that was taught in English’
6. enter details of the qualification in the following drop-down lists, up to and including ‘Year of award’
7. in the table displayed on the next screen, check the ‘Points for English language’ column:

If 10 points are displayed, the qualification has been deemed by UK NARIC to be academically equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree or higher and to have been taught in English.

Take a printout.

As you have gained the qualification in question in UK, so you need to check the options highlighted in blue:
I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

aplicant111
Newly Registered

Post by aplicant111 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:05 am

Hi,

thank you so much for that. And just to clarify , do I actually need to get that printout from this calculator or because my degree is from UK I don't need to and just my transcript is enough??

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:56 am

aplicant111 wrote:According to the guide I need to provide:

Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your
degree and the level of English
2. An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show
us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK
degree)
3. A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming your
qualification is comparable to a UK degree, plus an official letter from your
university with your name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was
taught in English.
4. An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree
was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except
Canada), plus and original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming that
the equivalent level of your degree, OR
• Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English
speaking country
• Your confirmation that you met this requirement, on or after 28th October
2013, in order to obtain settlement.

euapplicant15
Newly Registered

Post by euapplicant15 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 pm

aplicant111 wrote:Hi,

thank you so much for that. And just to clarify , do I actually need to get that printout from this calculator or because my degree is from UK I don't need to and just my transcript is enough??
I have a MSc from a UK university and when I called HO last week to ask if I need anything else apart from my original certificate they almost laughed at me and said as long as it was taught in the UK I don't need anything else. It's kinda self-explanatory really but we all worry a lot...

aplicant111
Newly Registered

Post by aplicant111 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi,

I was about to write the same:) I called them few hours ago and the guy said same thing- 'just send your transcript':) But really the reason we worry is because they make it look complicated and so many people have problems that a cheerful advisor on the phone always sounds a bit too chilled out:)

euapplicant15
Newly Registered

Post by euapplicant15 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:33 pm

aplicant111 wrote:Hi,

I was about to write the same:) I called them few hours ago and the guy said same thing- 'just send your transcript':) But really the reason we worry is because they make it look complicated and so many people have problems that a cheerful advisor on the phone always sounds a bit too chilled out:)
Totally agree! I always get suspicious if something looks easy and straightforward... :lol:

aplicant111
Newly Registered

Post by aplicant111 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:09 pm

One, more thing...I cannot find any box to put my diploma's reference nr etc...only for other English certificates....Can anyone who used an English degree help here? I basically have just ticked of the 2 boxes indicated by a person on this thread and that seems to be it....

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Does the form as you for the details of the qualification - University, title, subject, year, etc. etc.? No.
Likewise it doesn't ask for the degree "reference" number.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 pm

I have a Masters degree from the UK. At the NCS, just in case, I wanted also to give my PBS calculator, but they simply refused to take it, saying that my degree certificate was enough.

aplicant111
Newly Registered

Post by aplicant111 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:01 am

Hi, thanks for the replies!
I am really getting mad with that form....it should be so straightforward and common sense..but it never is with them..it looks like these forms are just designed to scare and confuse people.

The personal data information is also weird....you have a clear place for the surname, but not one for your first name...you suppose to put it in the 'other names'...but a first name is not another name so it is quite silly...I am worried because my UK test (the centre informed the home office long time back about it) shows my surname as my first name and vice versa...because of som glitch with the system...

Ajenta83

Post by Ajenta83 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Thank you for this information!