ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do you need PR before applying for citizenship?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dirk

Do you need PR before applying for citizenship?

Post by Dirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:28 pm

I don't want to jinx this by thinking about 5 year from now when the RC is still pending but I like to plan way ahead.

Currently doing a SS route application. I read that the period for naturalisation is 5 years if married to a British citizen. As the RC is just a confirmation of rights could my wife apply for naturalisation after five years directly rather than apply for PR?

secret.simon

Re: Do you need PR before applying for citizenship?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Dirk wrote:the period for naturalisation is 5 years if married to a British citizen
The period of naturalisation is 3 years if married to a British citizen.

However, it now takes a minimum of 5 years to reach settlement (ILR or PR), which is a prerequisite for citizenship.

As the spouse of a British citizen, your spouse would be able to apply for naturalisation directly on attaining PR status. She will need to submit the same proofs if she were making both a PR claim and an application for citizenship simultaneously.
Dirk wrote:I don't want to jinx this by thinking about 5 year from now
Assuming that the UK remains in the EU...

Assuming that the UK does not manage to water down either the SS route or the freedom of movement of family members in general...

Assuming that if the above two are true, that SS route holders are grand-fathered into the citizenship route (remember that citizenship rules are completely unrelated to immigration rules)...

Far too many assumptions to plan ahead with, but I commend you for having the foresight.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Yes I know so much could change but I started thinking about doing the SS route a long time ago and here I am! Especially as Labour seem to be writing off any chance of winning the next election the Conservatives are only going to be more extreme in what they do on things like immigration.

The point I was trying to get at is that PR is automatic after five years, as you don't apply for PR in the way you apply for ILR you are only applying for evidence of your PR then why would you need to actually make the PR application? Could you not just provide evidence that you have the right to PR as part of your naturalisation application? Or do the Home Office insist on you having the PR Card before applying?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Dirk wrote:Could you not just provide evidence that you have the right to PR as part of your naturalisation application?
I meant just that, that as a part of the naturalisation application, you would need to submit proof of having PR (which in your wife's case, may also need proof that she is here via Surinder Singh) + proof of having qualified for naturalisation.

So, you do not need a PR card, but you will need proof of PR as if (quasi) you were applying for a PR Card along with your citizenship application.