ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alinna

British citizen application

Post by alinna » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello,

This is the place where i got all the answers to my immigration related problems in the past and thank you all very much for your help and support.
I come again with another bunch of questions and i hope someone will guide me to take the necessary steps.
I live in the UK from last 8 years and got married 7 years ago. My husband is indian, i am romanian and we have a 5 years old son who has romanian passport.
My husband was on the family member permit for the last 5 years and recently he received his indefinite leave to remain status. We would like to eventually apply for british citizenship and i was wondering what is the next step for us to do so.
I was working as self employed for the last 7 years and i am an employee with contract from last 8 months. I do not have a 'blue card' or any confirmation of my right to be here on my passport but all my husband applications were made based on my right to reside in the uk (threaty rights-self employed).

What should i do next so that me, my husband and my son get british citizenship? Do i need to apply myself first for permanent residence or can we make a family application? Is my 5 years old boy entitled to be british citizen as he was born here and his father has ILR?

I appologise if these questions have been asked before. I tried searching on the forum before posting here but as every case is different i was not sure if all the other replies applied to my situation as well.

Thank you very much for all your help one more time.

noajthan

Re: British citizen application

Post by noajthan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:41 pm

alinna wrote:Hello,

This is the place where i got all the answers to my immigration related problems in the past and thank you all very much for your help and support.
I come again with another bunch of questions and i hope someone will guide me to take the necessary steps.
I live in the UK from last 8 years and got married 7 years ago. My husband is indian, i am romanian and we have a 5 years old son who has romanian passport.
My husband was on the family member permit for the last 5 years and recently he received his indefinite leave to remain status. We would like to eventually apply for british citizenship and i was wondering what is the next step for us to do so.
I was working as self employed for the last 7 years and i am an employee with contract from last 8 months. I do not have a 'blue card' or any confirmation of my right to be here on my passport but all my husband applications were made based on my right to reside in the uk (threaty rights-self employed).

What should i do next so that me, my husband and my son get british citizenship? Do i need to apply myself first for permanent residence or can we make a family application? Is my 5 years old boy entitled to be british citizen as he was born here and his father has ILR?

I appologise if these questions have been asked before. I tried searching on the forum before posting here but as every case is different i was not sure if all the other replies applied to my situation as well.

Thank you very much for all your help one more time.
I assume you have been through the forum FAQS & also the Gov UK adult/AN & child/MN1 guidance notes.

You don't have to 'apply' for PR it is automatically acquired after 5 years of exercising free movement & treaty rights here in UK.
(It is optional whether you actually apply for a PR card once PR has been attained).

It sounds like you both have settled status, you by (probably) attaining PR already, plus husband with ILR.

There is no joint family application - both adults would have to apply individually to naturalise.
Note Minors are registered not naturalised.

If a person is not married to a British citizen the rules require 5 years residency in UK plus 1 year free of immigration time restrictions (ie settled with ILR/PR).
If one of you naturalised first then the 12 months wait for the second person would not be required (because they would then be the spouse of a BC).
So you could get creative with the timing of your applications assuming all other requirements are met; (including KOLL, good character, absences within limits, & etc etc).

The status of your son depends on whether he was born (in UK) before or after parents became 'settled' (with ILR/PR).
So he may be British already; if he is not you should submit an application to register him (not naturalise) along with 1 or both of the parent's applications.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alinna

Post by alinna » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Thank you very much. most of the information i knew already but i wanted a confirmation from someone more experienced than me. I will now proceed with my application and after that my husband and son will apply.

Thanks again.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 am

alinna wrote:Thank you very much. most of the information i knew already but i wanted a confirmation from someone more experienced than me. I will now proceed with my application and after that my husband and son will apply.

Thanks again.
If time is on your side, you could apply for confirmation of your PR first (for a small additional outlay). It's optional & your choice.

If child was born after 1 or both parents became settled then no need to register him as he is British already; shoot for his passport directly.
Just check the guide first as, for child of EEA citizen, it depends on date of birth too:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2015.pdf

If born in UK before parents became settled then, yes, register him along with 1 parent's naturalisation application.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.