ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A8 country married to BC - when to apply

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ssimtee
Newly Registered

A8 country married to BC - when to apply

Post by Ssimtee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:57 pm

I've moved to the UK in 2004 from Slovakia. Found myself a job and registered for the WRC card. After around 8 months I've left Job1 and got Job2 but unfortunately didn't re-register again (didn't know I had to). In 2006 I married my husband, a born British citizen. In Feb 2007 I left Job2 to give birth. After my maternity leave finished I stayed at home as a housewife. In 2009 I gave birth to my second child and continued to stay at home until October 2013 when I took up a part time job at my childrens' school which I'm still doing. Apart from Child Benefit we have never claimed anything. My husband has always worked and was able to support all of us. Only after reading posts on this forum do I now realise that I was supposed to have taken out private medical insurance during the years I was supported by my husband. Between 2004-2008 I have left the country for around 30 days altogether. Haven't travelled abroad since 2008. I have never really seriously considered applying for PR or British Citizenship up until now to be honest, so I have been quite complacent about it. My fault.
Anyway, with all this in mind, what do you guys think would be my chances of getting PR or BC and how should I go about it. Since the WRS finished in 2011, would it make sense for me to wait until May 2016 to start the process going? That would give me 5 years, even though for 2 1/2 years out of the 5 years I didn't have private medical insurance? Or should I just wait a few more years before applying? I'm confused by it all. Any help or recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Ziuta

Re: A8 country married to BC - when to apply

Post by Ziuta » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:52 pm

I think you can apply after being married for 3 years, but please double check.
Applied: 02/06/2015
Fee deducted: 13/06/2015
Acknowledgement letter: 16/06/2015 (dated 13/06)
Biometrics: 16/06/2015
Approval: 28/11/2015

martin54

Post by martin54 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 am

You have to complete the treaty right for 5 years before you can apply as spouse of British citizen.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:35 am

The matter of when the WRS ended is in dispute.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ssimtee
Newly Registered

Post by Ssimtee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:35 am

So I'm guessing I should wait until October 2018 to even think about applying, as I've started my current job in Oct 2013. That would give me the 5 years of exercising my treaty rights. And even if I don't stay with my current job I could just take out private medical insurance to cover me. Would that do?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:48 am

Ssimtee wrote:So I'm guessing I should wait until October 2018 to even think about applying, as I've started my current job in Oct 2013. That would give me the 5 years of exercising my treaty rights. And even if I don't stay with my current job I could just take out private medical insurance to cover me. Would that do?
That makes sense based upon learnings from this forum.
If you had no CSI in place then your time in UK as a 'self-sufficient' homemaker (supported by your spouse) will unfortunately not be counted.

Some suggestions...
1) if you were an active job-seeker (?) before taking up your job in 2013 you may be able to pull the dates in a few months earlier.

2) it would be worth checking if your home country of Slovakia has/had any sort of reciprocal health care arrangement with UK that qualifies as a CSI.
You would need some sort of official certificate or official letter to prove it.

If so (with such a document) you may, after all, be able to use your time spent earlier in UK as a homemaker;
(i.e. exercising treaty rights as self-sufficient qualified person).

Failing that do you/did you hold an EHIC card from your country? (though that is normally accepted as CSI for short-term types of residency eg as a student).

3) When you feel you do finally qualify as having attained PR, look into applying for PR card first; (less outlay is at stake if refused).

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Ssimtee
Newly Registered

Post by Ssimtee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Well, I think I'll just leave it for a few more years before I apply then. Not having BC makes no difference to my everyday life, so I can wait a few more years. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Will carry on lurking on the boards from now on, so I don't miss anything that would be important in the future, like having a CSI :D