ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mrbean
Newly Registered

English language requirement for naturalisation

Post by Mrbean » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi,

I have a bachelor degree that was obtained from India in 2005. And I on checking ukba PBS calculator I gets 10 points for it. I have got ILR recently this month on basis of this.
Now I will be applying for naturalisation soon, I have contacted NCS, they are asking for IELTS. I have explained to them that I have already satisfied KOLL when I applied for ILR recently, but they are still adamant and asking for IELTS. :roll:
I have IELTS Report form but that was done ages ago, in 2006. And score was 6.5 in both reading and listening, 7 in writing and speaking, with overall 7 score. Can I still use this ? Seniors plz advise me what to do? I'm just confused :?

vd_ilr

Re: English language requirement for naturalisation

Post by vd_ilr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 pm

I am too in a similar situation. After going through lots of posts in this forum I understood we can submit below documents to NCS and should be able to clear the English language requirement

1) Print of points based calculator where you are awarded 10 points after selecting your College/University
2) Original degree certificate
3) Letter from University mentioning the degree was taught in Engligh

Now I am confused why your application wasn't accepted by NCS. Did you call them or it happened when your documents were being verified by NCS? Also which NCS did you goto?

All,

Please let us know if there were any successful attempts in a similar case.

Thanks

Mrbean
Newly Registered

Post by Mrbean » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:01 pm

vd_ilr wrote:I am too in a similar situation. After going through lots of posts in this forum I understood we can submit below documents to NCS and should be able to clear the English language requirement

1) Print of points based calculator where you are awarded 10 points after selecting your College/University
2) Original degree certificate
3) Letter from University mentioning the degree was taught in Engligh

Now I am confused why your application wasn't accepted by NCS. Did you call them or it happened when your documents were being verified by NCS? Also which NCS did you goto?

All,

Please let us know if there were any successful attempts in a similar case.

Thanks
I called them up to book an appointment, they said I need to have IELTS report form as well to accompany my degree from India. I have explained to them several times that PBS awards me 10 points but they still want IELTS. I guess most of NCS do not know rules in detail, they just tick boxes. Vd_ilr I guess even number 3 it not required, as long as you have first two.
Seniors plz advise on this.

Mrbean
Newly Registered

Post by Mrbean » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that was NCS edin

vd_ilr

Post by vd_ilr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:49 pm

OK, just got some further info on this. NCS should accept your application, please refer to: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ification/
-> If you have a degree taught in English:
-> A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 pm

I found the NCS person I dealt with was very knowledgeable and what she didn't know, she asked UKBA.

That being said, it sounds like this person is told what to tell people to bring. She might not be the NCS person who checks your application.

So, book the appointment and show up with the documents you believe will be acceptable. If there are any queries, they can contact UKBA right there and then. Also, if there is still a disagreement, they can still submit your application, but will note that you were advised it might unsuccessful.

However, I do not predict there will be any issues on the day.

vinodt1347

Post by vinodt1347 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:54 am

Mrbean wrote:Hi,

I have a bachelor degree that was obtained from India in 2005. And I on checking ukba PBS calculator I gets 10 points for it. I have got ILR recently this month on basis of this.
Now I will be applying for naturalisation soon, I have contacted NCS, they are asking for IELTS. I have explained to them that I have already satisfied KOLL when I applied for ILR recently, but they are still adamant and asking for IELTS. :roll:
I have IELTS Report form but that was done ages ago, in 2006. And score was 6.5 in both reading and listening, 7 in writing and speaking, with overall 7 score. Can I still use this ? Seniors plz advise me what to do? I'm just confused :?
I have a question on this. How do I use the Points based calculator? The entry point to the calculator asks you which type of Visa you need. Do I select Tier1 or 2 or ICT? It seems confusing as I currently have ILR.
I called up the helpline and they wanted a NARIC certificate. Some of my friends who applied used the points based calculator.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:39 pm

I think you can select anyone of them to get to the page of English Language requirement and then give the details of your degree (or whatever) and then Print the page (which shows the Points awarded)

However, the other way to go is to NARIC certifying your degree certificate... that will surely avoid any confusions (although it comes with a price (around £60))

I can read that the print out of points based Calculator will do the job from the following page
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

However, AN Booklet doesn't say the same... it only mentions NARIC confirmed degree certificates

see Page 12 in the following
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_2015.pdf

So its kind of effy to give an exact answer... for you guys to put your foot down at the NCS people

Good luck

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:44 pm

How to use the PBS calculator
Guide AN provides a better explanation about documentary evidence(s) for English language requirements.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!