ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Birth Registration at Indian Consulate and OCI Card

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

magneta

Birth Registration at Indian Consulate and OCI Card

Post by magneta » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi

I am an ILR Holder and my newborn is British Citizen who just received his british passport yesterday. I wish to apply for OCI card for him. I also would like to register his birth at HCI London. Please could someone let me know if this is possible? I am not sure if I could register him as Indian by birth and apply for OCI card(I am confused as he has British passport). I have searched the posts and couldnt find any answers related to my case. If I could do both, which one should I apply for first? I have travel plans in december, so I definitely need the OCI card before that. Can I apply for OCI first and register his birth after my travel plans are complete?
Please help me with this.

Regards
Magneta

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Birth Registration at Indian Consulate and OCI Card

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:28 pm

If I may ask, why do you wish to register your (British citizen) child's birth with the Indian consulate?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

bahla
Newly Registered

Post by bahla » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:56 pm

magneta wrote: I am an ILR Holder and my newborn is British Citizen who just received his british passport yesterday. I wish to apply for OCI card for him. I also would like to register his birth at HCI London.
Hi,

I don't think you can register your son's birth at HCI London since you've already obtained a British passport for him - a part of the procedure for Indian birth registration is to declare that your child does not hold a foreign passport.

You can apply for an OCI for him on the basis of your Indian citizenship. It takes about 6 weeks if there are no complications.

Good luck.

magneta

Post by magneta » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:18 pm

sushdmehta wrote:If I may ask, why do you wish to register your (British citizen) child's birth with the Indian consulate?
I wanted to have it registered just in case it causes difficulties in future with inheritance. From bahla's answer, I understand we cannot do that as I already got British Passport.

magneta

Post by magneta » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 pm

bahla wrote:
magneta wrote: I am an ILR Holder and my newborn is British Citizen who just received his british passport yesterday. I wish to apply for OCI card for him. I also would like to register his birth at HCI London.
Hi,

I don't think you can register your son's birth at HCI London since you've already obtained a British passport for him - a part of the procedure for Indian birth registration is to declare that your child does not hold a foreign passport.

You can apply for an OCI for him on the basis of your Indian citizenship. It takes about 6 weeks if there are no complications.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply bahla. This makes sense. I will apply for his OCI soon.