ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

entry clearance

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

karunanayake
Newly Registered

entry clearance

Post by karunanayake » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:14 pm

My husband was sent back to sri lanka as our case was turned down and he had to apply for entry clearance from there he has been there since april this year he could not apply sooner as i was pregnant and had 3 other children and in reciept of public funds and had no job now i am working but what i need to know is i only opened a bank account in april as i never needed one before and there is only 1,200 in my bank which i have saved from july to now and that was hard with 4 kids will they turn us down because i do not have alot of savings,,My husband has a letter from a ex employer offering him a job in january 2008 will this help ?? any advice apprecciated also he has a few criminal convictions here in the uk two were for drink driving and one for criminal damage and one for assault i know this bad but he cant turn back time he would if he could will they hold this against him ???
Does anyone know how long it takes in sri lanka their website says 13 weeks
Last edited by karunanayake on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

entry clearance

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:20 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:14 pm

As you have managed to save money, and your husband has a job offer, you should be OK for the money part. You need to present proof, and a proper budget, etc.

You could be in more trouble on the general grounds, though. These are grounds on which entry clearance should normally be refused:

(11) failure to observe the time limit or conditions attached to any grant of leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom

it sounds as if this might apply to him?

and also

(18) save where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that admission would be justified for strong compassionate reasons, conviction in any country including the United Kingdom of an offence which, if committed in the United Kingdom, is punishable with imprisonment for a term of 12 months or any greater punishment or, if committed outside the United Kingdom, would be so punishable if the conduct constituting the offence had occurred in the United Kingdom;

(19) where, from information available to the Immigration Officer, it seems right to refuse leave to enter on the ground that exclusion from the United Kingdom is conducive to the public good; if, for example, in the light of the character, conduct or associations of the person seeking leave to enter it is undesirable to give him leave to enter.

Drink-driving is summary only, max 6 months imprisonment. Criminal damage and assault can attract sentences of over 6 months, it depends what type of assault (common assault, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, etc). With criminal damage, it depends on the amount of damage caused.

His crimes might be covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - depending on the conviction dates and the sentence received (fine, prison, etc). Do you know these details?

The Home Office guidance for caseworkers reads:

PARAGRAPH 320(18) - PERSONS CONVICTED OF CRIMINAL OFFENCES
Where it is established that a person has been convicted of an offence which was commited:

* in the United Kingdom, and is punishable with imprisonment for 12 months or more; or

* outside the United Kingdom but, if it had been committed in the United Kingdom, would have been punishable with imprisonment for 12 months or more,

refusal of leave to enter or entry clearance under Paragraph 320(18) of HC 395 should normally follow unless admission is justified for strong compassionate reasons.

Your husband is a habitual offender - 1 offence is a lot easier to justify than a string of them.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

karunanayake
Newly Registered

thanks amanda

Post by karunanayake » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:29 pm

the dates and details are as follows:
Drink driving 28/03/03
Destroying damage property(breaking a window) 28/03/03
Assault occassing bodily harm 21/09/03
Drink driving 25/03/06

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:31 pm

Well, clearly not rehabilitated, I'm afraid, so you can't argue they should be ignored.

The assault - was it common assault or ABH? If common assault, fortunately it's a max 6 months and that means that none of the offences are potentially subject to a 12 month+ sentence. That will help.

It will still be tricky, though.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

karunanayake
Newly Registered

Post by karunanayake » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:36 pm

it was ABH
For all these convictions he was given fines and for the drink driving he completed a course he was told to go on by the courts

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 pm

ABH is punishable by a sentence over 12 months' imprisonment.

He could well be refused on that basis, yes. The other convictions don't help, they make it clear he didn't just make one bad mistake.

You should be very, very careful about doing your application.

karunanayake
Newly Registered

Post by karunanayake » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:33 pm

my husband has the vaf 2 can you still use this as he was going to hand it in tommorow or does he need to nfill out the new form ?

vinny

entry clearance

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:27 pm

See also UKVISAS LAUNCHES NEW VISA APPLICATION FORMS
New visa application forms (VAFs) will be introduced worldwide on 29 October. From 29 October 2007 all visa applicants will need to use these new, improved forms to make an application.
Our visa application centres and visa sections overseas will not accept old application forms after 9 November 2007.
The first quote seems to imply that you need to use the new forms after 29 Oct. However, the second quote seems to imply that the old forms will be accepted until 9 Nov. Who knows what will happen between 29 Oct and 9 Nov when an old form is presented?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ahmed786
Newly Registered

Post by ahmed786 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 pm

Haing clicked on your link above I have read that the new date for accepting the old forms is Nov 16 (press release 02/11/07. I think they have just extended it, so anyone wanting to still use the old one can probabaly be able to do so.