ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I qualify?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zulakam
Newly Registered

Do I qualify?

Post by zulakam » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi,
Sorry if these questions have been asked here before .. I tried searching it but couldn't find answers!
1) I am married to British citizen. Have had ILR for 6 months now. I was told I can apply for citizenship when it's been 3 years since I crossed UK border with intend to remain (fiance visa 3 years ago now) can I apply now or do I have to wait until it's been 3 years since I got my first residency card?

2) I have been using English test results I took in 2012 when applying for fiancé visa. It was successfully approved for residency and ILR. Can I use it again or do I have to retake test? I have taken life in UK for ILR if that matters..

Thank you very much , don't know what I would do without this website !! X

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Do I qualify?

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:20 pm

1. Three of legal stay in the UK in any immigration category.
2. Read the FAQs.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

zulakam
Newly Registered

Post by zulakam » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 pm

hi
thanks for your response! I m not sure I understood your first point, can I apply now, 3 years after I first crossed border or after 3 years on ILR?
Also, I am afraid FAQ doesn't answer my question. Institution I took test with is not on the list anymore, but I used it for ILR just recently. Is that a problem? Should I take test again?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:57 am

1. You can use any legal stay in the UK under any immigration category to meet the "residence" requirement for naturalisation. That means - if you crossed the border in to UK legally 3 (or more) years ago, have been staying here legally since and are married to a British citizen, then yes, you may apply now. This is also explained under Q1 of these FAQs as well.

2. I believe Q2 of these FAQs answers your query quite adequately.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!