ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC for spouse of UK national returned to the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gol
Newly Registered

BC for spouse of UK national returned to the UK

Post by Gol » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Hello,

I am a non EEA national and my husband is British. We returned to the UK under the Surinder Singh route.
According to the EEA law I will automatically be granted a PR after 5 years. My question is that do I still have to apply for permanent residence and then apply for the citizenship or I can apply for naturalisation without it?Can anyone help? I have been given contradictory information and am now very confused.

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: BC for spouse of UK national returned to the UK

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 pm

If you are here on the Surinder Singh route, you acquire PR automatically at the end of five years of residence in the UK. You can then apply for naturalisation immediately as the spouse of a UK citizen.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Gol wrote:Hello,

I am a non EEA national and my husband is British. We returned to the UK under the Surinder Singh route.
According to the EEA law I will automatically be granted a PR after 5 years. My question is that do I still have to apply for permanent residence and then apply for the citizenship or I can apply for naturalisation without it?Can anyone help? I have been given contradictory information and am now very confused.

Thanks
No - proof of PR by acquiring a UK PR card is optional.

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _v12_0.pdf
Although it is not compulsory those who qualify can apply for a document certifying permanent residence using an EEA (PR) application form.
You can apply for naturalisation with or without a PR card (assuming all other requirements are fulfilled).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

martin54

Post by martin54 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Gol wrote:Hello,

Thanks
You don't have to apply for PR if you want to apply for naturalization. I am Non EEA family member as well and my wife she is BC but my route is not through Surinder but all is still the same as Family of EEA. I applied for BC after my marriage and residency complete 5years in the UK and i got approval within 5 months. But make sure you meet all the requirements and you will be fine.
Good luck

Gol
Newly Registered

Post by Gol » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Thank you all for your help!