ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sent AN application without evidence of English language

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rodrigo007
Newly Registered

Sent AN application without evidence of English language

Post by rodrigo007 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:09 am

Hi,

This is something that's been bugging me since I've applied for citizenship a fortnight ago, it's concerning the knowledge of English.

When I obtained my ILR I didn't need to do any English test as I was under 18.

I've submitted my university enrolment letter and transcripts showing that my degree will be completed in June 2016, I didn't do any English test as I thought that clearly the fact that I go to university and been there for 3 years should show that I am proficient in English. I study at UK university so clearly my course is taught in English. I have had mix views on this subject, I would like to know whether the documents I submitted would be accepted as proof of English. any help would be greatly appreciated.

noajthan

Re: English language requirement from 5 Nov 2015

Post by noajthan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 am

rodrigo007 wrote:Hi,

This is something that's been bugging me since I've applied for citizenship a fortnight ago, it's concerning the knowledge of English.

I've submitted my university enrolment letter and transcripts showing that my degree will be completed in June 2016, I didn't do any English test as I thought that clearly the fact that I go to university and been there for 3 years should show that I am proficient in English. I study at UK university so clearly my course is taught in English. I have had mix views on this subject, I would like to know whether the documents I submitted would be accepted as proof of English. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately A level or GCSE English (etc) is not adequate for proof of English & you have not completed your degree so you cannot supply evidence of a UK degree certificate.
Your citizenship or settlement application will be refused if you send the wrong qualifications.
Suggest you consider another route asap as per the Gov UK website so you are ready when HO contact you on this topic.
They may give you 'x' days to supply alternative evidence of English so you will have to move fast or your application will be at risk.

Ref https://www.gov.uk/english-language/overview

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: English language requirement from 5 Nov 2015

Post by geriatrix » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:14 am

Read these FAQs.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Sent AN application without evidence of English language

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36 am

Also if you haven't submitted a pass certificate for the Life in the UK test, you'll need to provide this for BC.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:30 pm

What level and is it on the approved list? What about the Life in the UK test?

Unfortunately, the Home Office don't use common sense, they simply follow the Immigration Rules to the letter. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

rodrigo007
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigo007 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks for your advices, but sometimes the HO need to use some common sense, I've been in England for more than 8 years and haven't left in that time period and I am going to Uni for 3 years now :( . Arghh

Anyways I just found my ESOL certificate from 2007, would it still be valid to prove knowledge of English? Appreciate your help

rodrigo007
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigo007 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:37 pm

The ESOL certificate is on par level with a B1 certificate:)

I passed the life in the UK test with flying colours :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:40 pm

rodrigo007 wrote:The ESOL certificate is on par level with a B1 certificate:)

I passed the life in the UK test with flying colours :)
Is the test provider on the approved transitional list (valid until Nov 15)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _tests.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)

rodrigo007
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigo007 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah it was an ESOL for skills level 1. Should I wait for the HO to ask me for the documents or should I send it now since I have already submitted my application and still awaiting for the money to be taken off my account.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:53 pm

rodrigo007 wrote:Thanks for your advices, but sometimes the HO need to use some common sense, I've been in England for more than 8 years and haven't left in that time period and I am going to Uni for 3 years now :( . Arghh

Anyways I just found my ESOL certificate from 2007, would it still be valid to prove knowledge of English? Appreciate your help
Did you not notice the checklist & references to KOLL in the form & accompanying guidance?

HO & common sense do not compute.

Hopefully you will receive a follow up letter from HO (inviting evidence of English proficiency under their rules) rather than an outright refusal to your application.

May be worth calling them too but without a HO reference number for the case they may have trouble tracking your application down.

Good luck.

rodrigo007
Newly Registered

Post by rodrigo007 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi,

I arrived in the UK on a 2 years visa to join my mother and when my visa expired, it took 24 days to get my ILR. I am wondering whether I broke any immigration rules in those 24 days as I was under 18 at the time?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:49 pm

I arrived in the UK on a 2 years visa to join my mother and when my visa expired, it took 24 days to get my ILR. I am wondering whether I broke any immigration rules in those 24 days as I was under 18 at the time?
HO guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... structions) indicates an element of discretion may be applied especially if a minor & circumstances were outside your control.

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1203874
8.10 We should normally exercise discretion to disregard a breach of the immigration laws (i.e. a period of unlawful residence) only if there are reasons for the breach which were clearly outside the individual’s control, or the breach was genuinely inadvertent and short.

Examples would include circumstances where:
the breach occurred at a time when the applicant was a minor whose parents failed to obtain or renew their leave ...

palaremzi

Post by palaremzi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:04 pm

With all the likelihood they'll send a follow up request asking for evidence of English language, but there is a time windonw (1.5 months if I am not wrong), which is quite short. In my view your best bet is to take IELTS immediately. You need, I think, a score of 4.5. By the time HO gets back, you should have the test result ready.

palaremzi

Post by palaremzi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:12 pm

rodrigo007 wrote:Thanks for your advices, but sometimes the HO need to use some common sense, I've been in England for more than 8 years and haven't left in that time period and I am going to Uni for 3 years now :( . Arghh

Btw, Home Office does not use common sense. A friend of mine, who is a translator/interpreter and often works with public offices, courts, hospitals, police etc. failed to send the evidence of English language (one of the items in the list) thinking his profession should be sufficient evidence. They refused his ILR application.

rodrigo007
Newly Registered

Re: August 2015 Naturalization Application TIMELINE ONLY

Post by rodrigo007 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi,
Has anyone ever needed their documents back from the HO?
I spoke to two HO worker one told me I can request my document now and the other one told me to wait till the money has been taken off my account and the acknowledged letter deliver to me. I need my passport for University ideally I would need my passport in the next 3 weeks.
Do you guys think I should request the document back now or wait till the payment has gone off?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:26 pm

If you can, wait until you have received acknowledgement. That is when your application is assigned a case ID and put in the queue for processing.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

noajthan

Re: August 2015 Naturalization Application TIMELINE ONLY

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:48 pm

Has anyone ever needed their documents back from the HO?
I spoke to two HO worker one told me I can request my document now and the other one told me to wait till the money has been taken off my account and the acknowledged letter deliver to me. I need my passport for University ideally I would need my passport in the next 3 weeks.
Do you guys think I should request the document back now or wait till the payment has gone off?
Word to wide: use NCS (via local council for a reasonable fee) for an extra level of sanity-checking;
you also retain your original documents (including passport)