ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP Approved->Entry Clearance given->Reach UK-->Wh

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrdeepak
Newly Registered

HSMP Approved->Entry Clearance given->Reach UK-->Wh

Post by mrdeepak » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:58 am

Hi Everyone,

I am starting this new forum which will help all of us to share what needs to be done once you arrive in UK. This will include where we all need to get registered, insurance, place to live... and many more things.

Anyone who has already gone through all this please share your experiences so that people like me who have just arrived or will be arriving shortly can gain and have a comfortable start.

Thanks in advance
Deepak

kranthi15

hsmp approved

Post by kranthi15 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:21 am

hello Deepak

First thig once you reach is to find accomodation it can be done by checking rightmove.com or any other websites.

Enrol in Concil to pay council tax, sothat tou get address proff for phone or other requirements.

register for NI through the loal jobcentre plus.

Register for NHS through local Health centre.

I hope i have given a overall idea...

guys please add your valuable suggestions..
Cheers

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:22 am

You can't have a TV without a TV licence, or drive a car without tax and insurance (and a licence, obviously)
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:37 pm

what is the counsit tax? persons with whom i will be staying told me since i will be staying with them i dont need to pay council tax . they are students so they dont pay council tax. so they told me since i will be staying with them so i dont need to pay that either. please clearify. and also what is the TAX for car? i mean when i buy a car and am planning to drive the car with my country license for one year then what other things i need. i know i need insurance. but i am not clear about the tax thingi...please inform.. :idea:
and deepak, hows your first impression about UK? liked it so far?
Last edited by nionlight on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Households where ONLY students live are exempt - whether they are still exempt with you living there depends how long you stay - you'll need to check with the council.

In order to be legal on the road, a car must have insurance, a road tax disk, and an MOT if over 3 years. (the MOT is a test to check on various road worthiness things, done yearly). In order to get a tax disk, you need to have the MOT and insurance to hand.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

mrdeepak
Newly Registered

Post by mrdeepak » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks Kumar.

Your feedback is valuable. It gives a complete idea of what needs to be done next.

Couple of more questions:
1. When we register for the council tax, in whose name does it gets registered? Does it have to be done individually for both husband and wife or it can be done jointly?

2. Can registrering for Council Tax and NI number be done online?

3. Which websitre of Uk govt. gives complete information on all the above activities?

Thanks
Deepak

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:54 pm

Who has to pay Council Tax?

Normally the person who lives in a property will have to pay the Council Tax. The first person that appears in the list below should pay:

* An owner-occupier
* A tenant
* A licensee
* Someone who lives in the property with no security of tenure

More than one person may have to pay the bill, for example joint owners or joint tenants. Usually husbands and wives and couples living as man and wife are jointly responsible.Special rules about joint and several liabilities apply where someone suffers from a severe mental impairment or where a full time student lives with someone who is not a student. There are also times when the owner will have to pay rather than the resident, for example:

* properties that are nobody's main home
* homes where the tenants have separate tenancy agreements for part of the property or where it has been adapted for partial occupation (for example, bedsits)
* care homes, nursing homes and night shelters
* religious communities (monasteries or convents)
* properties which are not the owner's main home but are occupied by their domestic staff
* homes where a minister of religion lives and works
* properties occupied by asylum seekers who are receiving support directly from the Home Office.

As for registering for it, www.camden.gov.uk says in relation to that borough:

If you are moving in to a property you should let us know as soon as possible so that we can send you a bill and spread the payments for as long as possible.

We will need some of the following information:

* Your name and address you are moving to
* The date you are moving
* Your old address if it is in Camden
* A daytime telephone number and/or email address
* If the property is owned or rented
* Date of sale
* Number of adults(over 18) in the property
* Whether the property is furnished
* Tenancy dates
* Name and address of landlord or agent