ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 APPLICATION SECTION 3(1)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

samrat_g

Post by samrat_g » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Jambo, One more question regarding my wife Naturalisation application. As mentioned earlier, she was away from UK during pergnancy for about 11 months. Section 1.17 of the AN form requires all her addresses for the past five years. While she was away I moved to a shared accomodation and therefore, there was no address for her to put in for that period. I was not maintaining a place for both of us. Can we just skip the duration or should I put my shared accomodation address for her. Please can you suggest.

Regards

Samrat

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 pm

samrat_g wrote:Hi Jambo, One more question regarding my wife Naturalisation application. As mentioned earlier, she was away from UK during pergnancy for about 11 months. Section 1.17 of the AN form requires all her addresses for the past five years. While she was away I moved to a shared accomodation and therefore, there was no address for her to put in for that period. I was not maintaining a place for both of us. Can we just skip the duration or should I put my shared accomodation address for her. Please can you suggest.

Regards

Samrat
She can just put her overseas address in the form. There is no requirement that all addresses should be in UK.

flakes
Newly Registered

Re: Children with one resident parent

Post by flakes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:51 pm

You can always apply. The question is whether the application will be approved or not and 3(1) application are at discretion so it is different in each case.

Why is the father not present in the UK? Are you separated? The most important criterion is that the child's future should clearly be seen to lie in the UK. If one parents lives abroad, this might cast doubts that child future lies in the UK (his whole future, not just the next 5 years).[/quote]

Hi Jambo,

Thanks for your response. It looks complex now but we are not legally separated. He does not want custody of the children and we have just left things for now to be sorted later. Given that there is no legal backing to our separation yet, what will be the best option for the kids? if they wait longer, will they at some point qualify for long residence probably after 10 years?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 pm

flakes wrote:Hi Jambo,

Thanks for your response. It looks complex now but we are not legally separated. He does not want custody of the children and we have just left things for now to be sorted later. Given that there is no legal backing to our separation yet, what will be the best option for the kids? if they wait longer, will they at some point qualify for long residence probably after 10 years?
Long residence is for settlement (ILR) which I believe the kids have already.

If the father is not involved in their life and will not be in future, then you can explain that in the application. That could help to show that the kids future is in the UK and not elsewhere. At the end of the day it is at discretion of the caseworker. You can wait and apply later (it would probably increase chances of success) but you can also try now when you apply (with the risk of a refusal). IF you can show links to the UK (for example purchase of property), that would help also.

flakes
Newly Registered

Post by flakes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 am

Jambo wrote:
flakes wrote:Hi Jambo,

Long residence is for settlement (ILR) which I believe the kids have already.

If the father is not involved in their life and will not be in future, then you can explain that in the application. That could help to show that the kids future is in the UK and not elsewhere. At the end of the day it is at discretion of the caseworker. You can wait and apply later (it would probably increase chances of success) but you can also try now when you apply (with the risk of a refusal). IF you can show links to the UK (for example purchase of property), that would help also.
Hi Jambo,

Thanks for your response, it has provided some clarity.

paulmat555
Newly Registered

Re: MN1 APPLICATION SECTION 3(1)

Post by paulmat555 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Dear friends,
Thank you all for the support and info shared on the forum.
I have a query regarding my sons BC application.

The background is as follows; myself, wife and 4 year old son has ILR since Oct 2012, son was born in the UK and he is eligible for BC.

Query 1 - I have completed Form MN1. What are the documents that needs to accompany the application ? I'm planning to have this checked through NCS.

Query 2 - cost, is it £673 ? Are there any other charges, I intend to pay by cheque. No oath required as he is only 4.

Advice would be highly appreciated.

Than you
Paul

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm

paulmat555 wrote:Dear friends,
Thank you all for the support and info shared on the forum.
I have a query regarding my sons BC application.

The background is as follows; myself, wife and 4 year old son has ILR since Oct 2012, son was born in the UK and he is eligible for BC.

Query 1 - I have completed Form MN1. What are the documents that needs to accompany the application ? I'm planning to have this checked through NCS.

Query 2 - cost, is it £673 ? Are there any other charges, I intend to pay by cheque. No oath required as he is only 4.

Advice would be highly appreciated.

Than you
Paul
1 - See last question in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children.
2 - that's right. No other cost.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 am

Hi All, I REALLY need some help!

I got ILR in April this year (2013) and my daughter was born in the UK Feb 2012. I understand I have to apply for her to be registered as a british citizen by using MN1. My question is:

1. Does a child need to be present in the UK for MN1 registeration?

2. Child is currently in India with mother (Since August 2012).....if I use National checking service in the UK...then will they need to see my daughter??? or should I use postal service??

I called the British High Commission in India but they said they dont give advice on this.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am

specy_99 wrote:Hi All, I REALLY need some help!

I got ILR in April this year (2013) and my daughter was born in the UK Feb 2012. I understand I have to apply for her to be registered as a british citizen by using MN1. My question is:

1. Does a child need to be present in the UK for MN1 registeration?

2. Child is currently in India with mother (Since August 2012).....if I use National checking service in the UK...then will they need to see my daughter??? or should I use postal service??

I called the British High Commission in India but they said they dont give advice on this.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Application can be made in the UK using NCS or post while child is abroad.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 am

Many thanks!

samrat_g

Post by samrat_g » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Jambo,

My wife is now filling up her Naturalisation form and would like to clarifiy few points:

1)National Insurance number.:-She never applied for NI number because she is a house wife. I claim the Child Benefit because of my readily available NI number. Can she leave the section blank or just say "Never Applied".

2) I hope not having an NI number would not cause any problem for her Naturalisation Application.

3) In anwering one of my previous query you suggested to add(not mandatory) the following sentence: "I have established my home and family in the UK". We still live in rented apartment. Can she say "Established Home". Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

4) Most of her travel history is in her old expired passport. Her current passport contains ILR vignett and just one travel information. Does she need to attach her expired passport to confirm her travel history, including the date she arrived in this country.

The application will be made through NCS.

I look forward to your reply.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 am

samrat_g wrote:Hi Jambo,

My wife is now filling up her Naturalisation form and would like to clarifiy few points:

1)National Insurance number.:-She never applied for NI number because she is a house wife. I claim the Child Benefit because of my readily available NI number. Can she leave the section blank or just say "Never Applied".

2) I hope not having an NI number would not cause any problem for her Naturalisation Application.
Blank. Not an issue.
3) In anwering one of my previous query you suggested to add(not mandatory) the following sentence: "I have established my home and family in the UK". We still live in rented apartment. Can she say "Established Home". Your thoughts will be much appreciated.
This sentence is mainly needed if you don't meet the residential requirement. I believe you wife is just slightly over the 450 days so she will be fine.
"Established home" doesn't necessary mean you own the property but you have made the UK your home.
4) Most of her travel history is in her old expired passport. Her current passport contains ILR vignett and just one travel information. Does she need to attach her expired passport to confirm her travel history, including the date she arrived in this country.

The application will be made through NCS.

I look forward to your reply.
She will need to provide all the passports that cover the 5 years of residence.

raheelmulla

Post by raheelmulla » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 am

Hi jumbo,
As I am filling form MN1 for registration of my child. As me, my wife and my son are going to apply for british naturalisation together.

Now as I have read your CITIZEN FAQs - COMMON QUESTION

Apply 1 year after the issue date of the PR Confirmation (EEA3/EEA4). In this case, there is no need to prove treaty rights again and normally just your passport (and Life in the UK test) is required.

As I know that me and my wife don't need to prove treaty right again as we got PR status before 3 years so I have skip this section on form AN

NOW MY QUESTION IS MY SON HAS ALSO GOT PR STATUS IN HIS PASSPORT BEFORE 3 YEARS SO DOES IT MEANS THAT HE HAS ALSO PROVE TREATY RIGHT IF SO CAN I SKIP THE TREATY RIGHT SECTION ON FORM MN1 AS WELL.

Thank you once again in advance jumbo.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 am

raheelmulla wrote:Hi jumbo,
As I am filling form MN1 for registration of my child. As me, my wife and my son are going to apply for british naturalisation together.

Now as I have read your CITIZEN FAQs - COMMON QUESTION

Apply 1 year after the issue date of the PR Confirmation (EEA3/EEA4). In this case, there is no need to prove treaty rights again and normally just your passport (and Life in the UK test) is required.

As I know that me and my wife don't need to prove treaty right again as we got PR status before 3 years so I have skip this section on form AN

NOW MY QUESTION IS MY SON HAS ALSO GOT PR STATUS IN HIS PASSPORT BEFORE 3 YEARS SO DOES IT MEANS THAT HE HAS ALSO PROVE TREATY RIGHT IF SO CAN I SKIP THE TREATY RIGHT SECTION ON FORM MN1 AS WELL.

Thank you once again in advance jumbo.
Section 3 in the MN1 form is not relevant to your son's application.

raheelmulla

Post by raheelmulla » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:16 am

Thanks for your quick reply.
Let me say you in detail.
I am Portugal nationality I enter uk in 2002. Then my wife and my son who is ages 17 now, enter uk as a family member of EEA NATIONAL in 2003. Then we apply for PERMANENT RESIDENCE on end of 2008 and we get approval on 2009. They send me blue wallet of PR and for my wife and son there is sticker of PR on the passport.

Now me and my wife are applying for british naturalisation and my son for registration as british citizen.

So i have fill a form for me and my wife as I was confuses whether to fill EEA nationals exercising EC Treaty Rights or not but as I have read your CITIZEN FAQS - common question so I have skip 2.4 2.5 and 2.6 as we have ilr status for more than year.

So now I am filling form MN1:

1) 1.1 Please indicate the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you would like the application considered. See Chapter 2 of the guide for details. ANSWER SECTION 3.1 ,as my son was born outside uk.

2) SECTION 3 OF MN1 FORM detail from 3.1 to 3.12 - SHALL I LEAVE THIS BLANK OR DO I HAVE TO FILL THIS AS WELL.

NOW FROM 3.13 TO 3.16 for Parent who is an EEA national exercising EC Treaty rights. - DO I HAVE TO FILL THIS DETAIL OR SHALL I LEAVE THIS BLANK AS WELL.

Thank you jumbo please clarify this for me so I can submit our application on Friday.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 am

raheelmulla wrote:Thanks for your quick reply.
Let me say you in detail.
I am Portugal nationality I enter uk in 2002. Then my wife and my son who is ages 17 now, enter uk as a family member of EEA NATIONAL in 2003. Then we apply for PERMANENT RESIDENCE on end of 2008 and we get approval on 2009. They send me blue wallet of PR and for my wife and son there is sticker of PR on the passport.

Now me and my wife are applying for british naturalisation and my son for registration as british citizen.

So i have fill a form for me and my wife as I was confuses whether to fill EEA nationals exercising EC Treaty Rights or not but as I have read your CITIZEN FAQS - common question so I have skip 2.4 2.5 and 2.6 as we have ilr status for more than year.

So now I am filling form MN1:

1) 1.1 Please indicate the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you would like the application considered. See Chapter 2 of the guide for details. ANSWER SECTION 3.1 ,as my son was born outside uk.

2) SECTION 3 OF MN1 FORM detail from 3.1 to 3.12 - SHALL I LEAVE THIS BLANK OR DO I HAVE TO FILL THIS AS WELL.

NOW FROM 3.13 TO 3.16 for Parent who is an EEA national exercising EC Treaty rights. - DO I HAVE TO FILL THIS DETAIL OR SHALL I LEAVE THIS BLANK AS WELL.

Thank you jumbo please clarify this for me so I can submit our application on Friday.
Your son applies based on section 3(1) of the British Nationality Act. This has nothing to do with section 3 of the application form (which has to do with children to British citizens applying based on section 3(2) or 3(5) of the British Nationality Act). Just leave blank.

raheelmulla

Post by raheelmulla » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 am

Thank you jambo. God bless you and I pray to god that you get all happiness in your life.

samrat_g

Post by samrat_g » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Jambo,

My wife's NCS appointment is on Tuesday and I have a last minute question-

A question regarding special circumstances asked in Section-6 of AN form. It says the following:

"I declare that, although I do not meet all of the statutory requirements for naturalisation, I believe that, in view of the following special circumstances, the Home Secretary should treat me as fulfilling those requirements or waive the need in my case to fulfil them."

The form also requires explanation of special circumstances.

My wife's absences from the UK are 469 days above the threshold for Section 6(1) application.

Please could you suggest should we tick the box and explain that her absences were attibuted to pregnancy. To me sounds a bit complicated and feel like leave it blank. Your comments will really help me.

Please note that she has fulfilled all other standard requirement except 450 daysn absences.

A quick confirmation will be much appreciated.

Regards

N.B. My wife, although spouse of a British National but applying under Section 6(1) due to her absences.

samrat_g

Post by samrat_g » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Dear Jambo,

PLEASE HELP!!!! See below....

My wife applied for naturalisation last week through NCS. She applied under section 6(1) although married to a British National. The NCS staff while filling up his own form asked this question and we have specifically said Section 6(1).

In the application form also we have mentioned this in page 13. She applied under section 6(1) due to her absences which are 469 days.

Today we received the acknowledgement letter which states application category 6(2).

Correct application of section is critical because of her absences. Application considered under 6(2) would probably be rejected. The current application under 6(1) is also under discretion.

Unfortunately, my wife is away and currently abroad. In this situation, can I call UKBA and clarify this issue or should I ask my wife to email UKBA.

Also, please can anyone advise me the correct email address where this kind of queries should be sent.

REGARDS

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 pm

samrat_g wrote:Dear Jambo,

PLEASE HELP!!!! See below....

My wife applied for naturalisation last week through NCS. She applied under section 6(1) although married to a British National. The NCS staff while filling up his own form asked this question and we have specifically said Section 6(1).

In the application form also we have mentioned this in page 13. She applied under section 6(1) due to her absences which are 469 days.

Today we received the acknowledgement letter which states application category 6(2).

Correct application of section is critical because of her absences. Application considered under 6(2) would probably be rejected. The current application under 6(1) is also under discretion.

Unfortunately, my wife is away and currently abroad. In this situation, can I call UKBA and clarify this issue or should I ask my wife to email UKBA.

Also, please can anyone advise me the correct email address where this kind of queries should be sent.

REGARDS
Duplicate.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

safyan82
Newly Registered

mn1 form

Post by safyan82 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:43 pm

plz tell me i send mn1 form to home office i attach payment slip they can take fees from my accout its been 5 days plz tell me when they going to take money from my account ?

Kamranijaz
Newly Registered

Post by Kamranijaz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:22 pm

HI,

i want to apply mn1 form for my two daughter one is 5 and other on is 2. i got my ILR recently in august 2015 as a LONG residency 10 year route. i still need to apply for my wife still confused as different people tell differently. but real concern is that i am about to file MN1 form.

i found most of the answers her and they really helped but in section 2 where i need to tell the travel history there i got a problem. my wife and my elder daughter in 2011 they went to pakistan for family visit.they went in 4 september 11 and came back on 8 december 2011. the lived there 95 days in total and since then they did not go anywhere out of uk. they suppose to come back before 90 days but due to my child got severe diarrhea and she was in hospital.

now i am worried that these days will affect my wife and daugher application.

any help will be really appreciated.

Many Thanks