ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Check list before our NCS appointment

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imranh

Check list before our NCS appointment

Post by imranh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi there

My wife has a NCS appointment this week and I just wanted to double check our documentation in case we have missed anything.

Just some background info; She is Pakistani married to myself a British born citizen , she arrived in the UK late 2010 on a spouse visa, she got her ILR approximately 2 years later and after passing LITUK test she will now apply for naturalisation. She has spent less than 2 months abroad since her arrival to the UK and we have a child together. She has been a housewife since her arrival in the UK and she does not claim any benefit. I am the breadwinner and claim child benefits only.

The documents we have are

1) Her LITUK pass test stamped certificate/letter

2) Her ESOL entry levels 1, 2, 3 certificates. Entry Level 3 is Speaking and Listening certificate whereas Entry 1 and 2 are Speaking and Listening and Reading and Writing.

3) Colleague letters regarding her doing and passing ESOL Entry level 3 tests.

4) Her recently expired Pakistani passport

5) Her BRP card

6) Her most recent bank statement

7) Our marriage certificate which was made in Pakistan when we got married. Its in Urdu and has an attested stamped English translation. This is the same document we used in her original spouse application. Is this ok - or do we need to register our marriage in the UK?

8. Our child's birth certificate

9) Our 2 referees are 1) Our GP and 2) a pharmacist - is this ok?

I think the documents we have are sufficient - is there anything that we have missed?

I spoke to the NCS lady and she mentioned that they take photocopies of all the documents including the ESOL tests and LITUK test certificates and return them - is this correct?

Also if the NCS send our application off then (whilst I understand that they are not the decision makers) does this mean that her naturalisation application most likely will be accepted?

Many Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

noajthan

Re: Check list before our NCS appointment

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 pm

imranh wrote:Hi there

My wife has a NCS appointment this week and I just wanted to double check our documentation in case we have missed anything.

Just some background info; She is Pakistani married to myself a British born citizen , she arrived in the UK late 2010 on a spouse visa, she got her ILR approximately 2 years later and after passing LITUK test she will now apply for naturalisation. She has spent less than 2 months abroad since her arrival to the UK and we have a child together. She has been a housewife since her arrival in the UK and she does not claim any benefit. I am the breadwinner and claim child benefits only.

2) Her ESOL entry levels 1, 2, 3 certificates. Entry Level 3 is Speaking and Listening certificate whereas Entry 1 and 2 are Speaking and Listening and Reading and Writing.

5) Her BRP card

7) Our marriage certificate which was made in Pakistan when we got married. Its in Urdu and has an attested stamped English translation. This is the same document we used in her original spouse application. Is this ok - or do we need to register our marriage in the UK?

8) Our child's birth certificate

I think the documents we have are sufficient - is there anything that we have missed.

I spoke to the NCS lady and she mentioned that they take photocopies of all the documents including the ESOL tests and LITUK test certificates and return them - is this correct?

Also if the NCS send our application off then (whilst I understand that they are not the decision makers) does this mean that her naturalisation application most likely will be accepted.

Many Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
3) Not really required.

9) Yes if they meet requirements; (are not your relatives or HO staff, have no unexpired criminal record, have known you for appropriate time, etc).

You also need the payment form & correct payment.

You will not receive LITUK certificate back - that is sent on to HO.

Acceptance by NCS is a first step - it is no guarantee whatsoever of the HO decision (either way).
Having said that, NCS is a worthwhile sanity-check for a very reasonable fee.

Note Suggest taking a copy of the application form (& payment form) for your records as NCS usually do not do that for you.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:40 pm

imranh wrote:The documents we have are

1) Her LITUK pass test stamped certificate/letter Yes, the original

2) Her ESOL entry levels 1, 2, 3 certificates. Entry Level 3 is Speaking and Listening certificate whereas Entry 1 and 2 are Speaking and Listening and Reading and Writing. When did she do the English test? If before 5th April 2015, it needs to be from an approved test provider on this list (click). If the test was taken after 6th April 2015, it needs to be from an approved provider on this list (Click)

3) Colleague letters regarding her doing and passing ESOL Entry level 3 tests. You need the test certificate so if this is what it is, then yes. Make sure you complete the details required on the form.

4) Her recently expired Pakistani passport Fine. Is this the one she entered the UK on?

5) Her BRP card Yes

6) Her most recent bank statement This is not needed at all. No need to take it with, they won't take it at NCS.

7) Our marriage certificate which was made in Pakistan when we got married. Its in Urdu and has an attested stamped English translation. This is the same document we used in her original spouse application. Is this ok - or do we need to register our marriage in the UK? This is fine, make sure you submit the original and the translation

8) Our child's birth certificate Not necessary to submit.

9) Our 2 referees are 1) Our GP and 2) a pharmacist - is this ok? [/b Yes, as long as they have both known your wife for 3 years.]

I think the documents we have are sufficient - is there anything that we have missed. Nope.

I spoke to the NCS lady and she mentioned that they take photocopies of all the documents including the ESOL tests and LITUK test certificates and return them - is this correct? Yes, she will get all the originals back.

Also if the NCS send our application off then (whilst I understand that they are not the decision makers) does this mean that her naturalisation application most likely will be accepted. No. NCS is just a facilitator. HO makes the decisions on applications.

Make sure that your wife was physically present exactly 3 years ago to the date that HO receives your application or 5 years if applying based on residence and not marriage. If she was not physically present 3/5 years ago on the same corresponding date that HO receives the application, it will be refused and she will lose the fee.

Date of application is not the date you submit to NCS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
imranh wrote:The documents we have are

1) Her LITUK pass test stamped certificate/letter Yes, the original

2) Her ESOL entry levels 1, 2, 3 certificates. Entry Level 3 is Speaking and Listening certificate whereas Entry 1 and 2 are Speaking and Listening and Reading and Writing. When did she do the English test? If before 5th April 2015, it needs to be from an approved test provider on this list (click). If the test was taken after 6th April 2015, it needs to be from an approved provider on this list (Click)

3) Colleague letters regarding her doing and passing ESOL Entry level 3 tests. You need the test certificate so if this is what it is, then yes. Make sure you complete the details required on the form.

4) Her recently expired Pakistani passport Fine. Is this the one she entered the UK on?

5) Her BRP card Yes

6) Her most recent bank statement This is not needed at all. No need to take it with, they won't take it at NCS.

7) Our marriage certificate which was made in Pakistan when we got married. Its in Urdu and has an attested stamped English translation. This is the same document we used in her original spouse application. Is this ok - or do we need to register our marriage in the UK? This is fine, make sure you submit the original and the translation

8) Our child's birth certificate Not necessary to submit.

9) Our 2 referees are 1) Our GP and 2) a pharmacist - is this ok? [/b Yes, as long as they have both known your wife for 3 years.]

I think the documents we have are sufficient - is there anything that we have missed. Nope.

I spoke to the NCS lady and she mentioned that they take photocopies of all the documents including the ESOL tests and LITUK test certificates and return them - is this correct? Yes, she will get all the originals back.

Also if the NCS send our application off then (whilst I understand that they are not the decision makers) does this mean that her naturalisation application most likely will be accepted. No. NCS is just a facilitator. HO makes the decisions on applications.

Make sure that your wife was physically present exactly 3 years ago to the date that HO receives your application or 5 years if applying based on residence and not marriage. If she was not physically present 3/5 years ago on the same corresponding date that HO receives the application, it will be refused and she will lose the fee.

Date of application is not the date you submit to NCS.

Hi CR001

Many thanks for your response. I think I am fine for everything except for 2) which may be a problem.

So my wife took her ESOL Entry Level 3 test on July 2014 and her certificate was issued on 4th August 2014. She completed this at Lancashire Adult Learning and it says ASCENTIS Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life Speaking and Listening Entry 3. It says its regulated by OFQUAL and it has Welsh Government logo at the bottom right. We used her ESOL entry 1 certificate for her ILR application from the same providers and regulators.

I cant find this in the link you have provided :( !!!

Will she need to do her ESOL 3 test again/elsewhere?

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm

noajthan wrote:

5) Her BRP card

8) Our child's birth certificate

I think the documents we have are sufficient - is there anything that we have missed.

Also if the NCS send our application off then (whilst I understand that they are not the decision makers) does this mean that her naturalisation application most likely will be accepted.

Many Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
3) Not really required.

9) Yes if they meet requirements; (are not your relatives or HO staff, have no unexpired criminal record, have known you for appropriate time, etc).

You also need the payment form & correct payment.

You will not receive LITUK certificate back - that is sent on to HO.

Acceptance by NCS is a first step - it is no guarantee whatsoever of the HO decision (either way).
Having said that, NCS is a worthwhile sanity-check for a very reasonable fee.

Note Suggest taking a copy of the application form (& payment form) for your records as NCS usually do not do that for you.

Good luck.
Hi noajthan

Many thanks for your response.

Where do I get hold of the payment form? I was just going to take my debit card or cheque book and pay.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 pm

imranh wrote:Many thanks for your response. I think I am fine for everything except for 2) which may be a problem.

So my wife took her ESOL Entry Level 3 test on July 2014 and her certificate was issued on 4th August 2014. She completed this at Lancashire Adult Learning and it says ASCENTIS Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life Speaking and Listening Entry 3. It says its regulated by OFQUAL and it has Welsh Government logo at the bottom right. We used her ESOL entry 1 certificate for her ILR application from the same providers and regulators.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
For citizenship, if applying before November 2015 & ESOL (B1) test was taken before April 2015, you can also use an ESOL certificate if it's on the Ofqual register.
See https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:46 pm

imranh wrote:...

Hi noajthan

Many thanks for your response.

Where do I get hold of the payment form? I was just going to take my debit card or cheque book and pay.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
You have to use this payment form:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Re ESOL from Ascentis you may be in luck:
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualifica ... rch=Search

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 pm

noajthan wrote:
imranh wrote:Many thanks for your response. I think I am fine for everything except for 2) which may be a problem.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
For citizenship, if applying before November 2015 & ESOL (B1) test was taken before April 2015, you can also use an ESOL certificate if it's on the Ofqual register.
See https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
She will apply this week. She has done ESOL Entry level 3 and not ESOL (B1) you stated :(

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:59 pm

noajthan wrote:Re ESOL from Ascentis you may be in luck:
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualifica ... rch=Search

Many thanks for your time - It says ascentis but doesnt say international - I dont know if I am being pedantic/paranoid :(

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:06 pm

ESOL Entry level 3 is at the required minimum B1 in the CEFR (framework).

You need to check the qualification number to be sure it's in the Ofqual register.

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 pm

noajthan wrote:ESOL Entry level 3 is at the required minimum B1 in the CEFR (framework).

You need to check the qualification number to be sure it's in the Ofqual register.
Hi noajthan

Thanks for your response

The qualification number is 100/4885/6. She took the test in July 2014 and got the certificate in August 2014. Please see the details below from the OFQUAL website. It seems its no longer being taught from the dates below and the certification end date is 31st December 2015.

Title ASCENTIS Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 3)
Regulation Start Date 01-Feb-2005
Operational Start Date 01-Feb-2005
Operational End Date 28-Feb-2015
Certification End Date 31-Dec-2015

What do you advise?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:23 pm

imranh wrote:
noajthan wrote:ESOL Entry level 3 is at the required minimum B1 in the CEFR (framework).

Hi noajthan

Thanks for your response

The qualification number is 100/4885/6. She took the test in July 2014 and got the certificate in August 2014. Please see the details below from the OFQUAL website. It seems its no longer being taught from the dates below and the certification end date is 31st December 2015.

Title ASCENTIS Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 3)

What do you advise?
It appears to meet the requirements.

Suggest take Ofqual website printout with you to NCS.
They will crosscheck the certificate too.

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:33 pm

noajthan wrote:
imranh wrote:

Hi noajthan

Thanks for your response

What do you advise?
It appears to meet the requirements.

Suggest take Ofqual website printout with you to NCS.
They will crosscheck the certificate too.

Thanks....that is a very good suggestion. Maybe the link provided by CR001 was applicable for B1 only where as for ESOL Entry 3 the following is applicable

• Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2

Gomjaba

Post by Gomjaba » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:53 pm

imranh wrote:Where do I get hold of the payment form? I was just going to take my debit card or cheque book and pay.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _07_21.pdf

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi CR001, noajthan and GOMJABA

Many Thanks for your responses.

Just to double check - I rung the British Citizenship department at the HO (or UK Visas and Immigration) and the adviser confirmed that the ESOL Entry level 3 is fine as long as its on the OFQUAL register and application is made before 5th November 2015.

This is in accordance with the advice I received here so thanks to all of you. I will as noajthan advised include the printout from the OFQUAL regsiter in the application.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:21 pm

there is a question on the AN Form which I dont think I can answer as the awarding body is ASCENTIS :(

How do I answer this?

1.26 Please provide details of your English language test (sat before 6 April 2015):

Awarding body:

Cambridge English
City & Guilds
Pearson
Trinity College London

Title of qualification:

Level of qualification:

Date of award:

Award reference number

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:32 pm

imranh wrote:there is a question on the AN Form which I dont think I can answer as the awarding body is ASCENTIS :(

How do I answer this?

1.26 Please provide details of your English language test (sat before 6 April 2015):

Awarding body:

Cambridge English
City & Guilds
Pearson
Trinity College London

Title of qualification:

Level of qualification:

Date of award:

Award reference number
Q1.23 - tick for:"A test that is on the Ofqual register ..." (as you have confirmed it is on Ofqual website) - then on to Q1.27

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:32 pm

I am worried again that maybe the awarding body ASCENTIS will not be accepted :( :( :(

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:35 pm

noajthan wrote:
imranh wrote:there is a question on the AN Form which I dont think I can answer as the awarding body is ASCENTIS :(

How do I answer this?

Awarding body:

Cambridge English
City & Guilds
Pearson
Trinity College London

Title of qualification:

Level of qualification:

Date of award:

Award reference number
Q1.23 - tick for:"A test that is on the Ofqual register ..." (as you have confirmed it is on Ofqual website) - then on to Q1.27
Thanks noajthan - you are a star :)

I am going mad here for no reason...sorry I missed that!!

many many thanks for your help and time...cant be grateful enough!!!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 pm

imranh wrote:I am worried again that maybe the awarding body ASCENTIS will not be accepted :( :( :(
Gov UK website is clear - for naturalisation purposes, you have a window of opportunity until November with an ESOL certificate (at B1 CEFR level, ie Entry 3 speaking/listening) that is listed on Ofqual website:
You can also prove your knowledge of English by having:

an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland - qualifications at Entry 1 or 2 won’t be accepted

From November 2015, you won’t be able to use ESOL qualifications as proof for settlement and citizenship applications

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Your phone call to HO helpline corroborates this too - all should be good.

imranh

Post by imranh » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi there

Just a final couple of questions hopefully;

1) If a GP who is acting as referee has provided their GP surgery address as oppose to their home address- is that ok? The GP has been at the surgery for much more than 3 years.

2) In the Biometrics enrolment section 6. - For question 6.1 Have you been issued with a BRP with a previous application for leave? we have responded Yes and then proceeded to fill in the details as per the BRP card she received for her ILR. Is this correct?

3) I cant remember exactly if my wife took her fingerprints when applying for ILR at the PEO but i assume this must have been the case so for question 6.14 Give details where your fingerprints were taken, including the town or city and country: I have given details of when we visited our nearest PEO for my wife's ILR application. Is this correct?

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Just a final couple of questions hopefully;

1) If a GP who is acting as referee has provided their GP surgery address as oppose to their home address- is that ok? The GP has been at the surgery for much more than 3 years.

2) In the Biometrics enrolment section 6. - For question 6.1 Have you been issued with a BRP with a previous application for leave? we have responded Yes and then proceeded to fill in the details as per the BRP card she received for her ILR. Is this correct?

3) I cant remember exactly if my wife took her fingerprints when applying for ILR at the PEO but i assume this must have been the case so for question 6.14 Give details where your fingerprints were taken, including the town or city and country: I have given details of when we visited our nearest PEO for my wife's ILR application. Is this correct?

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Probably - based on what you said.

imranh

Post by imranh » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi there

Just a last couple of questions

1) How many passport size photographs do we need? So we have one passport size photograph with my wife's full name and date of birth glued in the box in the referee section? Is that it??? or do we need more passport size photographs??

2) I have filled the payment form to state that we are paying £1005 via my visa debit card. Is that how much it costs??? Will the deduct the payment at our NCS appointment? We should be ok to use a visa debit card, right?

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 pm

1. One. Yes. No.
2. Yes. No. Yes.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!