ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I bring my father to the UK if I move to Ireland?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xlnallnat
Newly Registered

Can I bring my father to the UK if I move to Ireland?

Post by xlnallnat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:24 am

Dear all, could you pls advise?

I live in London and our family have British passports. I want to bring my father to the UK to live with me. However, I have read many articles and threads in our forum. It seems impossible to do it.

A friend suggested that if one moves to work in Dublin, Ireland for a few years, then you can bring your parents to Ireland legally. Then you can move back to London with your parents, and the British authorities will have to accept your parents.

Is it true, or is it just a myth?

Thank you for your advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can I bring my father to the UK if I move to Ireland?

Post by Casa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:29 am

It's not a myth. Have a read through Surinder Singh rules:
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

xlnallnat
Newly Registered

Post by xlnallnat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:43 am

Thank you. So it seems straightforward and relatively easy.
Just another question : If you work in Ireland, does the Irish authorities allow your parents to live with you indefinitely?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:47 am

xlnallnat wrote:Thank you. So it seems straightforward and relatively easy.
Just another question : If you work in Ireland, does the Irish authorities allow your parents to live with you indefinitely?
Its not. The UKVI is seeing this as an attempt to circumvent UK immigration rules.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:50 am

Yes if you can prove they are wholly dependent on you and you are 'exercising your Treaty rights', through employment, study or self-sufficient (with conditions).
If your intention is to return to the UK with your parents under the Surinder Singh route, you wouldn't need to stay in Ireland for years. 6-12 months should be sufficient as long as you can prove you've 'moved the centre of your life' to Ireland as another EU state. This would be through renting property, integration in local life, working/studying etc.

However, Wanderer has made a valid point. If the UK authorities take the view that you only moved to Ireland with the prior intention to return to the UK under the Surinder Singh route, they could refuse a UK family permit.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

xlnallnat
Newly Registered

Post by xlnallnat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks a lot. I was wondering if other people have done this and could give some advice on how to do it.
For example, is it alright if I move to Ireland for 6 months. Then my parents will move to Ireland with me for another one year before we come back to London?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:07 am

(Casa, not CR001)