ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa process for Indonesian wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

intahnetmonster
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Visa process for Indonesian wife

Post by intahnetmonster » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I got married two weeks ago, and I was hoping to get some advice for the visa application process.

I am a British citizen, but my wife is Indonesian.

I was going to apply for the 'family of a settled person’ visa for my wife, but noticed this takes quite some time (around three months).

I was wondering if it would be safe for me to first apply for a Standard Visitor Visa first, which seems to usually be quicker (around 3 weeks) and then once she is here apply for the proper visa or would this be an issue?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Visa process for Indonesian wife

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:55 pm

intahnetmonster wrote:Hi everyone,

I got married two weeks ago, and I was hoping to get some advice for the visa application process.

I was going to apply for the 'family of a settled person’ visa for my wife, but noticed this takes quite some time (around three months).

I was wondering if it would be safe for me to first apply for a Standard Visitor Visa first, which seems to usually be quicker (around 3 weeks) and then once she is here apply for the proper visa or would this be an issue?
Nope - a no-switching rule was introduced around 2003 to prevent people switching in-country from Visit visa.

Plus not much chance of being granted one with a husband in the UK anyway, the UKVI always assumes people have the worst motives in these situations.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:58 pm

intahnetmonster wrote:Hi everyone,

A visitor visa is granted on the basis the holder will leave on/before expiry.

Your wife can't switch from visitor to spouse visa from within the UK.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

intahnetmonster
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Language Exam for Visa? Is there an alternative?

Post by intahnetmonster » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a British citizen, but my wife is Indonesian, and we are currently going through the visa application process.

I am applying for the 'family of a settled person’ visa for my wife. As Indonesia isn't in the exception list, my wife is required to do an English Language test. We have booked the IELTS exam at an authorized exam centre for the 26th of this month. I am confided she will pass the exam very easily, as her English is almost as fluent as a native speaker, but the exam results take around two weeks to come through.

This combined with the fact that the exam is in 20 days, means we won't be able to submit her application for at least a month.

So I was wondering if there is any alternative we can put down on the Visa4UK Application so we are able to submit it right now? Or is there nothing we can do and we just have to wait?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Language Exam for Visa? Is there an alternative?

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:24 pm

we just have to wait
Her application will not be accepted or will be refused if you do not submit the English test.

Does she have a university degree?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

intahnetmonster
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by intahnetmonster » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 pm

CR001 wrote:Does she have a university degree?
Yep, she does from London School of Public Relations in Jakarta. Does that help?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm

intahnetmonster wrote:
CR001 wrote:Does she have a university degree?
Yep, she does from London School of Public Relations in Jakarta. Does that help?
Was it taught in English and NARIC approved?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:57 pm

She could get it assessed for comparative purposes by UK NARIC who are registered to assess foreign degrees and the medium of instruction if English to certify it would meet the requirements, but this also takes a bit of time.

What degree qualification does she have?

I am trying to work out if it features on the PBS Calculator to see if it features or is awarded any points (for interest)

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

intahnetmonster
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by intahnetmonster » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Wanderer wrote:Was it taught in English and NARIC approved?
It was taught in English, but no idea if it is NARIC approved. I will try to find out
CR001 wrote:She could get it assessed for comparative purposes by UK NARIC who are registered to assess foreign degrees and the medium of instruction if English to certify it would meet the requirements, but this also takes a bit of time.

What degree qualification does she have?

I am trying to work out if it features on the PBS Calculator to see if it features or is awarded any points (for interest)

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces
Oh, that sounds interesting. Would it take longer than 1 month? If it's longer then there isn't really much point as I'm 99% sure she will pass the IELTS exam very easily.

The degree is an undergraduate course in Mass Communication. It is called "Sarjana ilmu komunikasi" in Indonesian, which translate to Bachelor of Science Communication (according to google translate :) )

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:11 am

UKVI official statistics are currently showing a 30 day processing time for settlement visas submitted in Bali.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.