ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Visit Visa or EU Family Permit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nepenthe
Newly Registered

General Visit Visa or EU Family Permit?

Post by Nepenthe » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:37 am

Hello,

I am Dutch national married a non EU member. He resides in Lebanon at the moment and I live in Dubai as my work is located here.

We are planning to visit the UK and maybe stay there to find a job and live permanently. Read so much information on this forum and UK government website got me all confused.

Question is do we apply for the general visit visa for 6 months or the EU family permit. Can we apply for the EU family permit within the UK if we stay longer than 3 months?

He will apply through the British Embassy in Beirut, do they require my bank statements etc. As I am his sponsor? Proof of address where we will be staying? ( with my parent in the UK)

Minimum savings?

Please help.

Thanks

noajthan

Re: General Visit Visa or EU Family Permit?

Post by noajthan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Nepenthe wrote:Hello,

I am Dutch national married a non EU member. He resides in Lebanon at the moment and I live in Dubai as my work is located here.

We are planning to visit the UK and maybe stay there to find a job and live permanently. Read so much information on this forum and UK government website got me all confused.

Question is do we apply for the general visit visa for 6 months or the EU family permit. Can we apply for the EU family permit within the UK if we stay longer than 3 months?

He will apply through the British Embassy in Beirut, do they require my bank statements etc. As I am his sponsor? Proof of address where we will be staying? ( with my parent in the UK)

Minimum savings?

Please help.

Thanks
Visitors can't switch visas once in UK, otherwise they wouldn't be 'visiting'.

As an EEA national your best option would be to go to UK under free movement & exercising your treaty rights.

No savings requirement under EU rules.

Family permit is applied from outside UK.
Once in UK shoot for RC.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:24 pm

You can apply for an RC with a visit visa , But you will risk getting your visit visa curtailed because it'd be obvious your intentions were more than just a visit . So its not recommended .

Best option is to apply for family permit , It exists for this sole reason.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
Mahatma Gandhi

E&OE. I'm not a legal professional.

Nepenthe
Newly Registered

Post by Nepenthe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Thank you both!!

We will be going for a visit during Christmas, then travel back to UAE and then apply for family permit as you both recommended.

Nepenthe
Newly Registered

Post by Nepenthe » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:37 am

Hello All,

Me again- my husband's visit visa to the UK got refused. So we are now in the process of completing the EEA Family Permit as we have decided to move to the UK permanently together.

Desperately need your help and guidance where possible as there are too many confusing questions on the form- to my knowledge most of these can be left unanswered as they are irrelevant and questions about marital status can we just answer them with N/A?

My husband is now staying with me in Dubai for three months ( that is how long immigration here can give him a visa for) so we want to finalize everything and move together to the UK.

Can anyone help us with the following questions and if we need to answer them or not?

What is the main address and contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK? What is the main address and the contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK?

We will be temporarily staying at my parent's until we find a place of our own. Do we need to provide proof of accommodation or an invitation letter from my parents that they can host us?

What is your current working status?

My husband is currently unemployed, do we select Unemployed or Supported by Spouse? I am supporting him at the moment.

Income and Expenditure

What is the total amount in GBP(£)? What is the total cost of your trip, including money others may be giving you, in GBP(£)

Is this relevant at all? If yes, how can we estimate the total cost if we are planning to stay indefinite until I find a job. I know I can exercise my Treaty Rights.

Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK What will you do in the UK?

Isn't this already supposed to be mentioned in the cover letter? If not, does my husband mention here that he will be accompanying me to the UK.....any other information required to be added here?

In the EU National section

What is your permanant residential address and contact details?

Mine or my husband ( non Eu)????

Is the UK address given the permanent address of the EEA National

NO- and then it asks for address again, is this asking for the EU national address or NON EU?

Are the below questions supposed to be for my husband ( non EU) or me (EU)?

Who do you live with at the moment and what is your relationship to them?

Who owns your home and what is your relationship to them?

Who supports you financially and what is your relationship to them?

What other family members do you have and where do they live?

How often do you see these family members?

The questions asked about monthly income, spending, employment, when the job started, when the job is expected to end are these all referred to EU National?

Are we supposed to submit 6 months bank statements as well?

Thank you in advance for helping!!