ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 documents - Clarity between FAQ's and MN1 Guide Doc

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aks57

MN1 documents - Clarity between FAQ's and MN1 Guide Doc

Post by aks57 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Hi,
I am applying for BC for my daughter born in UK (Section 1(3)). I have read the FAQ topic and my question is with regards to the documents to be sent identified here and that given in the guidance form. As per the group's FAQ, the documents to be sent shall be:

Q2: Which documents are needed for registration as BC?

If applying under section 1(3) (child born in the UK to parents who now at least one parent holds ILR), the following documents are required:

- Original full UK birth certificate for the child (with the ILR parent named on it).
- Original child passport (if has one).
- Parent's passport showing ILR / BRP. (photocopies of all pages are accepted)
- Marriage certificate (if child born before 2006).

However, the Guidelines to the MN1 form just asks for the following:

FOR CHILDREN LIVING IN THE UK
• Child’s full birth certificate AND
• Child’s passport of entry to the United Kingdom, and any subsequent
passports AND
• Parents’ marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate Please note – only
include children who are not already British
• If one of the parents does not agree to registration a letter explaining their
reasons.
• If the application is being made by a guardian, evidence of their right to do
so, such as a deed, will or court order.

Essentially, it doesn't ask for Parent's Passport or ILR (photocopy/original) but asks for Marriage Certificate whereas, it not the same in the FAQ's. Can we send just the photocopy of the Passport and ILR of the parents? Can somebody advise if I am missing something here? Thanks for all your help in advance.

aks57

kimgadi
Newly Registered

Re: MN1 documents - Clarity between FAQ's and MN1 Guide Doc

Post by kimgadi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:06 am

I recently applied for my son through NCS and they did not ask for marriage certificate for me and my wife. They only asked asked for my ILR copy. I am not sure if they missed the marriage certificate or it is not required. My understanding is that UK birth certificate mentions the names of mother and father which establishes the link between child and father and child. The consent from both parents is included in the application form which proves that both parents are fine with child acquiring BC. Only one parent is required to have ILR for application of BC for child so they want copy of ILR of one of the parents only.That is my understanding, I did take marriage certificate to NCS but they did not take any copy. May be more experienced members can comment.

kimgadi
Newly Registered

Post by kimgadi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:16 am

One more point. The parents do not necessarily need to be married so marriage certificate may not be relevant, although for a child born outside UK they do ask for marriage certificate of parents.

kg_1218

Post by kg_1218 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi kimgadi,

Just to confirm:

Child's full birth certificate
Child's passport, is it required?
One of the parent's ILR
Parent's Marriage Certificate

Would NCS take only photo copies of all the above and return the original?

Thanks
kg

kimgadi
Newly Registered

Post by kimgadi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:57 am

kg_1218 wrote:Hi kimgadi,

Just to confirm:

Child's full birth certificate : Yes
Child's passport, is it required?: Yes (Last 3 years passport at least, as applicable) also Child's ILR if applicable
One of the parent's ILR : Yes
Parent's Marriage Certificate: Not required for UK born Child (NCS confirmed once again it is applicable only for Child not born in UK and is currently in UK)

Would NCS take only photo copies of all the above and return the original?: Yes

Thanks
kg

aks57

Post by aks57 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Kimgadi
Many thanks for your reply and clarification. In case we are sending the application by post, do we still need to send the original ILR or a photocopy will be fine? The wait time for NCS appointment is 4 weeks and my daughters Visa will expire next month (18/10/2015) so I do not want to take any chances. Please confirm.

Thanks and regards,
aks57

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 am

You can send photocopies of ILR and your passport.

You can use ANY council NCS, it does not have to be the one closest to your home. It could be one close to your work or anywhere else for that matter.
and my daughters Visa will expire next month (18/10/2015) so I do not want to take any chances
This is irrelevant to a UK born child entitled to register as British. She does not need a valid visa to apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kimgadi
Newly Registered

Post by kimgadi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:01 am

aks57 wrote:Hi Kimgadi
Many thanks for your reply and clarification. In case we are sending the application by post, do we still need to send the original ILR or a photocopy will be fine? The wait time for NCS appointment is 4 weeks and my daughters Visa will expire next month (18/10/2015) so I do not want to take any chances. Please confirm.

Thanks and regards,
aks57
You need to send originals for all documents if applying via post. NCS service is available to verify the originals (like an attestation service). You can try other NCS. it doesn't have to be in your city or your council.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:07 am

kimgadi wrote:You need to send originals for all documents if applying via post. NCS service is available to verify the originals (like an attestation service). You can try other NCS. it doesn't have to be in your city or your council.
For Section 1(3) child registrations, the OP does NOT have to send the parents original documents, photocopies are accepted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aks57

Post by aks57 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks for the valuable advice.

aks57