ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

(LR)Duty to state the reasons for wishing to stay in the UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tiredoftiers

(LR)Duty to state the reasons for wishing to stay in the UK

Post by tiredoftiers » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:18 am

within Set LR application they ask an applicant to state as follows

All your reasons or grounds for wishing to stay in the United Kingdom must be stated in this application. This requirement is being given under section 120 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002. If you do not tell us now of any reasons or grounds for remaining in the United Kingdom and you tell us later without
good reason, you will lose any right of appeal you may have otherwise qualified for if we refuse your claim.
You can use the box at the end of section 3.2.

I simply want to continue my life in the UK and what else am I supposed to write in this box??

I would apprrecite your help

riz1986

Re: (LR)Duty to state the reasons for wishing to stay in the

Post by riz1986 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:15 pm

" I would like to settle in UK on the basis of 10 year lawful residence".

This should be enough.

MoiMichMe
Newly Registered

Post by MoiMichMe » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:04 pm

In that box I very briefly described my ties to the UK and why I wanted to stay - e.g., my UK spouse and his family live here, I have a job and many friendships that I have built over the past 10 years. That info likely wasn't required, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to spell it out. :)

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:17 pm

Here are quiet few good reason to stay

1) Family life
2) Running job and business
3) Mortgage & credit lines
4) Good friends social circle
5) Children born in UK

just right whats is good to you while keeping in view you can support it with some evidence ( if asked) in future.
Thanks

Ali

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:09 pm

The answers offered above are not why the question has been inserted into the ILR forms.

The reason for the question is that quite often (not always) people have multiple claims to ILR. For instance, one could apply for ILR on the basis of LR, being on an applicable Tier and possibly as a partner and/or a parent of a person settled in the UK.

It used to be the case that if the LR failed and the refusal went to court, that the other grounds used to be brought up subsequently in court/tribunal or that the application would be varied at a later date.

What the form now does is that it requires you to list all the grounds that you could possibly get ILR together. That would give the caseworker a clearer idea of whether you may subsequently success on another ground anyway, so saving you and them time and money.

On the other hand, if you do not declare any other grounds, you would not be able to raise it in court/tribunal subsequently, due to the rules on estoppel (essentially that you can not contradict in court what you filled in on the form).

tiredoftiers

Post by tiredoftiers » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Thank you Simon and everyone else before him

Yes it is now clearer as to why and where it could potentially be helpful