ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Five Years for SET (M)?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ralucier
Newly Registered

Five Years for SET (M)?

Post by Ralucier » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:38 pm

I was granted limited leave to remain as spouse/partner in April 2013. This expires next month (2.5 years). I've been told I have to do this again for another 2.5 years before I can get a ILR. Therefore, if I fill out the SET (M) spouse ILR, it will not be granted because I am not eligible. This apparently became law in 2012. Can someone confirm?

Thanks,
rl

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Five Years for SET (M)?

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:46 pm

When did you APPLY for your spouse visa?

What was your visa status (if any) prior to spouse visa?

If you applied AFTER 9th July 2012, then yes, it is 5 years (2 x 2.5 year visas) before you will be eligible for ILR on Set(M).

To extend your visa for a further 2.5 years before the current one expires, you apply on form FLR(M) and meet all the same requirements again (if originally applied after 9th July 2012).

You will also be required to pay the health surcharge of £500 on top of the visa application fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Ralucier wrote:I was granted limited leave to remain as spouse/partner in April 2013. This expires next month (2.5 years). I've been told I have to do this again for another 2.5 years before I can get a ILR. Therefore, if I fill out the SET (M) spouse ILR, it will not be granted because I am not eligible. This apparently became law in 2012. Can someone confirm?

Thanks,
rl
Looks correct to me.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Ralucier
Newly Registered

Post by Ralucier » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for your prompt response.

I applied for my visa in April 2013 as well (it was approved the same month).

Until then, I was here as a visiting forces person under the SOFA agreement (in country from December 2003 to present).