ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lets Form an Immigrant Party

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sovtek

Lets Form an Immigrant Party

Post by sovtek » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:33 pm

I've tried floating this idea before. I want to form a party based on immigration issues (but not limited to). I think it's the best way to influence anything as the typical oirish isn't interested.
Is anyone open to help bring this about. I think meeting up in person is the only way to effectively plan any kind of action. I have also put my opinion forward that other immigrant sympathetic parties should be communicated and organized with.
Any takers?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Sounds like a nice Idea...I really don't want to suggest that immigrants should keep their heads down, but wouldnt the idea of an 'immigrant's party' instill some psychological fear amongst the Irish that there's too many immigrants?
Lets weigh the pros and cons and get a debate going and then try to get some political action started.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:10 pm

archigabe wrote:Sounds like a nice Idea...I really don't want to suggest that immigrants should keep their heads down, but wouldnt the idea of an 'immigrant's party' instill some psychological fear amongst the Irish that there's too many immigrants?
Lets weigh the pros and cons and get a debate going and then try to get some political action started.
I'm totally open to suggestion. I'm looking for "real life" debate though...not online debate. Possibly set a meeting place/time and pros and cons could be weighed then.
I also have the idea that a platform could also introduce social issues that effect the "natives" and immigrants alike. I thoroughly believe that a large part of the anti-immigrant stance is brought about by a deliberate attempt to make natives and immigrants compete for jobs. Its an age old tactic.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 pm

There's no point starting a political party if it's potential members (i.e. immigrants) have no political rights to start off with.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:16 pm

This could only be potentially feasible in countries where a large proportion of immigrants have become citizens, and therefore have the right to vote. The Netherlands is a good example of this where many cities have populations in excess of 50% who are foreign born but hold Dutch citizenship.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 am

Dawie wrote:There's no point starting a political party if it's potential members (i.e. immigrants) have no political rights to start off with.
Immigrants have some political rights and can vote locally. Besides that you can pressure the government by exposing issues and that puts pressure on the government. There are other parties that have immigrant issues as part of their platform as well.
I'm looking for like minded people to get this started. Anyone interested let me know. If not then...don't

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 am

joesoap101 wrote:This could only be potentially feasible in countries where a large proportion of immigrants have become citizens, and therefore have the right to vote. The Netherlands is a good example of this where many cities have populations in excess of 50% who are foreign born but hold Dutch citizenship.
Like I said...if you don't think it's feasible then don't join. I'm looking for people to meet and try to get something started.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:17 pm

sovtek wrote:
joesoap101 wrote:This could only be potentially feasible in countries where a large proportion of immigrants have become citizens, and therefore have the right to vote. The Netherlands is a good example of this where many cities have populations in excess of 50% who are foreign born but hold Dutch citizenship.
Like I said...if you don't think it's feasible then don't join. I'm looking for people to meet and try to get something started.
Well you have a stupid idea and anyone who joins will be equally as stupid.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 pm

joesoap101 wrote:
sovtek wrote:
I'm not sure of the rules of this forum but there is typically a rule of "attack the post and not the poster" in most I'm a member of.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:22 pm

joesoap101 wrote:
sovtek wrote:
Joesoap101, please dial down on the personal insults.
Thanks.

Dimy77

Post by Dimy77 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:08 pm

Let me give you a more political correct response then...

that's by far the most useless idea I've seen on this forum and it would be a waste of time and energy for anyone involved. Time better spent on real solutions.

*Edit* and no I'm sorry... I don't have the solution either

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Anyone have anything constructive to add?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:00 pm

start a voluntary group that assist agencies with attempts to integration both national and now nationals. help yourselfs to help nationals to free themselves of the possible anti immgrant attitude. this would also get strong voices out to the ministers on your feelings to be the new irish. this so called out sider point of view may be useful in improving ireland.

that really is the only feasible chance, unless you are an eu nationals. domestic (dail) politics is the king (as ye know irish citizens only vote) here and not enough people will be concerned about immigrants with the cooling of the climate, i am afraid (sorry for sounding negative that that view, but look at the nationals attitude to continued immigration. whilst its all fine and well for future immigration, one needs to deal with the problems experienced by legimate non nationals in this country.

Marielmcp
Newly Registered

Post by Marielmcp » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Anyone who reads this forum or who has been reading the letters section of the Metro within the past week can see that the current governmental attitude towards Immigration and the state of affairs in departments responsible for dealing with such things are beginning to have a strong effect on Irish citizens and businesses - these are the voting public and are obviously the people who can immediately influence people.

Maybe a political lobby is more appropriate term. There are things that can be done fairly easily with just a little bit of organisation. You could look into ways to create an offshoot of the Immigration Council that focuses on giving advice out strictly to businesses and individuals filing work permit applications. Offer all types of advice from filling out the forms, where to get items notarized, etc.

You could also start up organised letter writing campaigns:
*Draft a standard letter that goes to businesses who sponsor individuals, urging them sign and send off the attached document or make contact with their local TD, urging them to examine and change the system.
*Irish spouses of foreign nationals can obviously contact their local representatives and people can convince their Irish friends to assist with this - most political lobbies have success if the work is done for the 'people' ie postcard campaigns, etc.
*Another option is to set up a campaign to write the newspapers, Amnesty International, Embassies (both EU and non-EU), and even to the DFA funded Irish emigration centres abroad (these are the types who form the lobby in the US for the Irish illegals), highlighting the issues in their own system.
*There is also no harm in non-citizens writing directly to the TDs responsible for their area - at the end of the day people who plan on remaining here will be part of the voting public in the near future and I know I won't forget how certain political parties have treated us in spite of pocketing our tax money.

I appreciate that these things take time and money, but if it shortened the processing times for permits, LTR and citizenship it would be worth every penny spent. Plus we can all talk and moan until we're blue in the face, but really it's pointless unless we actually do something about it. Even though my suggestions may seem small, we should all be aware that most political movements start out small and become something much more powerful.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:58 pm

I guess immigrants could find voices within the existing parties who are being funded to include ethnic minorities.

http://www.metroeireann.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=50

Parties urged to find new faces
Written by Catherine Reilly
Thursday, 20 September 2007

New state funding earmarked to encourage minorities in politics

[quote]POLITICAL PARTIES are set to receive State funding to recruit ethnic minorities into their ranks – as the Dáil resumes next Wednesday with not one of its 166 TDs from an ethnic minority background.
Integration Minister Conor Lenihan TD last week intimated that funding is being earmarked for political parties, and other large membership organisations, to launch initiatives to bring in ethnic minorities. The plan will also include trade unions and sporting bodies, Minister Lenihan said at an education conference in DCU last Friday.

A report by UCD researchers earlier this year stated that the lack of representation of minorities across the parties was “potentially dangerous to social cohesion in the long runâ€