ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes in Spouse Visa rule??

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

huqqapani
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Changes in Spouse Visa rule??

Post by huqqapani » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 am

I was told yesterday by a worried friend of mine that she heard that from March 2016 the foreign spouses of BC will not get British passports, they will only get permanent ILR. Also, the time to reach ILR will increase from 5 years to 7.5 years.

Is there any truth in the above please?

Raju1

Re: Changes in Spouse Visa rule??

Post by Raju1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:06 am

False news, I don't think so..

secret.simon

Re: Changes in Spouse Visa rule??

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:48 am

huqqapani wrote:the foreign spouses of BC will not get British passports, they will only get permanent ILR.
I don't think even the current government would consider such a rule.

Rules for naturalisation are laid out in primary legislation and it would require an Act of Parliament to change them. That would take a year and given that the government wants the focus to be on the EU referendum in the near future, it is highly unlikely.
huqqapani wrote:from March 2016...the time to reach ILR will increase from 5 years to 7.5 years
That is not impossible. Does your friend have connections in the Home Office? Then she is better informed than us on these forums :D

Any such announcements would be made only in February-March 2016 (also possibly at the Conservative Party conference next month). So, be patient and sit tight.

My guess is that even if such a change were to be announced, it is unlikely to affect those already on the immigration pathway, because of the rule of legitimate expectations spelt out in the HSMP(JR) judgment.