ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long is a six month visitor visa valid for?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

How long is a six month visitor visa valid for?

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm

I know, I know, it's six months. Except that nothing is ever that simple. I always understood that you could stay in the UK for a period of six months from the date of entry if you've got a six month visitor visa. But someone who came here on a visitor visa last year was informed at the airport that he would have to leave the UK before the sixth anniversary of the visa issue date, not his date of arrival. It was a rude shock to him.

I was asked yesterday whether someone who comes here for Christmas on a two/five year multiple entry visitor visa (visa issued last month) can stay the full six months. I said I didn't know. I'd like to find out, though, and would appreciate any help.

immigration1

Post by immigration1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 pm

This is because since October 2000, the visa itself serves as leave to enter, hence the time runs from when the visa was issued and not when the person entered the UK... Even if the person was issued with a 2 or 5 years visitor's visa, the maximum time allowed are 180 days at any given visit.

jes2jes

Re: How long is a six month visitor visa valid for?

Post by jes2jes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:52 pm

OL7MAX wrote:I know, I know, it's six months. Except that nothing is ever that simple. I always understood that you could stay in the UK for a period of six months from the date of entry if you've got a six month visitor visa. But someone who came here on a visitor visa last year was informed at the airport that he would have to leave the UK before the sixth anniversary of the visa issue date, not his date of arrival. It was a rude shock to him.

I was asked yesterday whether someone who comes here for Christmas on a two/five year multiple entry visitor visa (visa issued last month) can stay the full six months. I said I didn't know. I'd like to find out, though, and would appreciate any help.
Olie:

So long as the VV was issued for longer than 6 months then the holder can stay up to 6 months without any problems (unless of course the number of days to stay in the UK was specifically stamped by the IO at the point of entry).

Where a VV was issued for 6 months but the person arrived whilst some of the 6 months has already elapsed, then the person has to stay until or before their visa expires, hence the holder risk being an overstayer.

For Non-Visa Nationals (NVN), they are allowed up to 6 months from the date of entry but this is also subject to the same rule above i.e. a specific length of stay has been stamped.

So, in summary:

1. If the person has a multiple entry VV issued for more than 6 months, then the person can stay upto 6 months**

2. If the VV is for 6 months, then the person has to leave the UK before or on the day of the expiration of the visa.

** unless of course the number of days to stay in the UK was specifically stamped by the IO at the point of entry

NB: That is why BHC oversees always ask the intended date of travel on the VAF application forms for such situations
Praise The Lord!!!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Usually the UK entry stamp will tell you exactly how long leave has been granted for.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:54 pm

immigration1 wrote:This is because since October 2000, the visa itself serves as leave to enter, hence the time runs from when the visa was issued and not when the person entered the UK... Even if the person was issued with a 2 or 5 years visitor's visa, the maximum time allowed are 180 days at any given visit.
This is true. In effect, this means no visitor can ever stay the FULL 6 months, because invariably you will apply some weeks ahead of your traveling time (in case of interviews etc).
Perry Ismangil

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Dawie wrote:Usually the UK entry stamp will tell you exactly how long leave has been granted for.
That's the thing, nowadays it's the sticker from embassy on home country not the entry stamp that counts.
Perry Ismangil

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 pm

ismangil wrote:
Dawie wrote:Usually the UK entry stamp will tell you exactly how long leave has been granted for.
That's the thing, nowadays it's the sticker from embassy on home country not the entry stamp that counts.
If you are not a visa national then you won't have a visa sticker in your passport.

Whether you are or are not a visa national the immigration officer at the point of entry has the final say over how long your leave is granted for and if there is any variation in how long your leave is to be granted for it will be reflected in the entry stamp.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your detailed (and quick) replies.
Usually the UK entry stamp will tell you exactly how long leave has been granted for.
There doesn't seem to be mention of any time limit on the entry stamp. The visa itself says MULTI, valid till xx/xx/2012, and "180 days"
In effect, this means no visitor can ever stay the FULL 6 months, because invariably you will apply some weeks ahead of your traveling time
Unless you have a multiple-entry, of course. Also, it's 180 days, not six months. Pedantic, yes, but it could mean a big difference to someone who plans leaving in the last few days.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 pm

OL7MAX wrote: Unless you have a multiple-entry, of course.
I don't get this bit. Multi entry makes it worse doesn't it? My point was even though one is given permission 180 days to stay in the UK, no one is able to stay the full 180 days.
Perry Ismangil

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:49 pm

this means no visitor can ever stay the FULL 6 months, because invariably you will apply some weeks ahead of your traveling time
Not so. At the time of application you can ask for the start date to be deferred by up to three months. If so, for example, someone is applying say mid-September, but knows they will not be flying out until 1st December, they simply ask for a 1st December start date! Simple as that.
John

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:13 am

ismangil, if you've got a multiple entry for two years why can't you stay your full 180 days?

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:40 am

OL7MAX wrote:ismangil, if you've got a multiple entry for two years why can't you stay your full 180 days?
Ismangil would do him/herself good if he/she reads my post above :lol: :P :arrow:
Praise The Lord!!!!

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:18 am

John wrote:Not so. At the time of application you can ask for the start date to be deferred by up to three months. If so, for example, someone is applying say mid-September, but knows they will not be flying out until 1st December, they simply ask for a 1st December start date! Simple as that.
Fair enough. I guess they don't advertise this fact too much on the embassy in our country, because all visitors I know so far got the start date of whenever it was issued, not traveling time.

And of course the embassy knows the travel time because it's a pre-req on the application form in the first place, but by default they use issue date as start date anyway!
Perry Ismangil

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Do you agree with jes2jes's detailed post on stay times?

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:02 pm

OL7MAX wrote:Do you agree with jes2jes's detailed post on stay times?
Yes, I do.

My point was always the special case of a Visa National, on 180 days visitor visa (multiple or otherwise), where the start date is the same as issue date, not start of initial travel date.
Perry Ismangil

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:09 pm

180 day stay restriction applies only from the start date printed in the visa, not the issue date.

Even if the start date and issue date are same, as long as air tickets are confirmed nothing stops a person from boarding the plane straight after collecting the visa and that makes the stay technically close to 180 days ?

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:27 pm

180 days visitor visa (multiple or otherwise)
On a different point, do they even do 180 day multiple entry? Or are all 180 day visas automatically multiple-entry (considering that they've effectively connected the period of stay with visa stamp and not entry date)?

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm

OL7MAX wrote:On a different point, do they even do 180 day multiple entry? Or are all 180 day visas automatically multiple-entry (considering that they've effectively connected the period of stay with visa stamp and not entry date)?
That's it really. As long as you come and go within the stated sticker dates then it is effectively multiple entry.
Perry Ismangil

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:42 pm

This is what used to happen in old days. "Stamp" the date when you arrive, making it all the 180 days - for multiple entry.

They used to do single entry visit visas earlier (prior to 2000), but now a days, as far as I'm aware it is only issued for transit visitor passengers (48 or 72 hrs) when supplemented by an onward journey ticket.

OL7MAX wrote:
180 days visitor visa (multiple or otherwise)
On a different point, do they even do 180 day multiple entry? Or are all 180 day visas automatically multiple-entry (considering that they've effectively connected the period of stay with visa stamp and not entry date)?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:49 am

Also, it's 180 days, not six months. Pedantic, yes, but it could mean a big difference to someone who plans leaving in the last few days.
OL7MAX, I just had chance to look at such a visa and and I must say, it was issued for 6 months and not 180 days... Do I hear a sigh of relief?
Jabi