ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Students and Citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sonnouk
Newly Registered

Students and Citizenship

Post by sonnouk » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm pretty sure this would be useful to quite a few of us, students, want to apply or have applied for their citizenship.

Info about my circumstances:

I've always been a student in the UK for the whole time (Secondary school and university) - Hence, the ILR based on long residence (10yrs)

Here are a few question:

1. As I'm a student i.e. not seen as particularly 'settled' (I've had to move from address to address 10 times but all in the same city), would this somehow work against my case for naturalisation even if I fully intend to live and work here after my graduation?

2. Within the last 12 months before my application, I was doing research in the U.S. (for 120 days), which was part of my academic work at my university in the UK. I obtained a letter from the university to prove this, in the hopes that they'll exercise discretion as the nature of absence was work-related and its length, less than 150 days (as in the guideline)
Will this be a problem?

3. Since I arrived in the UK I have been using a different first name from my birth name(in fact, I use my birth name as my second name) in most of the documents, which I put down in the application form (and also declared my birth name). I received a phone call on 08 OCT 07 from HO, telling me that I must use the first name as it appears in my passport. I agreed. Would this be a problem? Most of my documents e.g. GCSE's A levels, degree certificate, NI card, Bank accounts are under this different name. (But then, they didn't have any problem just over a year ago with these names when they processed my ILR. so myabe I shouldn't worry?)

Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:30 am

1. No.

2. Have you looked at the discussion of the residence requirement in the Nationality Instructions (Annex B, Chapter 18)?
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/nichapter18/

3. As far as I know you can apply for naturalisation using your existing name but you should clearly include details of your birth name, plus passport details etc. Also bear in mind that once your naturalisation certificate is issued in a particular name it cannot later be amended.

sonnouk
Newly Registered

Post by sonnouk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks.
Regarding the second question, I've checked all the docs on the website..
etc...
what i want to know is...not what's actually written there but..how they would interpret it...
...e.g. they keep mentioning (paraphrasing) ...an established home, family and a considerable part of estate"

I don't have any one i'd call family here. My parents are not in this country but I'm not young enough to call their home my home. I've always lived on my own.

what do they mean by estate? I don't really own anything.

And what is an established home?
I move around more than most people, looking for cheaper rent all the time. Could this seem like I've not got "an established home"?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:46 pm

JAJ wrote: 3. Also bear in mind that once your naturalisation certificate is issued in a particular name it cannot later be amended.
Really? Not even by Deed Poll?

sonnouk
Newly Registered

Post by sonnouk » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm sure other docs can be changed by deed poll. e.g. you get a passport under name A then have your name changed to name B by deed poll and then have your name changed on your passpost from A to B.
But the name on the naturalisation certificate itself won't change.

anyhow, anyone can answer my question?

Rozen wrote:
JAJ wrote: 3. Also bear in mind that once your naturalisation certificate is issued in a particular name it cannot later be amended.
Really? Not even by Deed Poll?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:36 pm

sonnouk wrote:I'm sure other docs can be changed by deed poll. e.g. you get a passport under name A then have your name changed to name B by deed poll and then have your name changed on your passpost from A to B.

Haven't your questions been answered? What is not clear to you?

sonnouk
Newly Registered

Post by sonnouk » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Hello,

What you quoted was not my question. in fact it was my answer to some one else's question.

My question was:

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 pm Post subject: ..
Thanks.
Regarding the second question, I've checked all the docs on the website..
etc...
what i want to know is...not what's actually written there but..how they would interpret it...
...e.g. they keep mentioning (paraphrasing) ...an established home, family and a considerable part of estate"

I don't have any one i'd call family here. My parents are not in this country but I'm not young enough to call their home my home. I've always lived on my own.

what do they mean by estate? I don't really own anything.

And what is an established home?
I move around more than most people, looking for cheaper rent all the time. Could this seem like I've not got "an established home"?

JAJ wrote:
sonnouk wrote:I'm sure other docs can be changed by deed poll. e.g. you get a passport under name A then have your name changed to name B by deed poll and then have your name changed on your passpost from A to B.

Haven't your questions been answered? What is not clear to you?