ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bfrenchfry

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by bfrenchfry » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:24 pm

anahamilton wrote:
bfrenchfry wrote:My recent update just compounds the insanity of my application. I just finally got a response from the NationalityBiometrics email address saying:
bfrenchfry, did you send them an e-mail regarding your application and this was their reply or they sent it to you spontaneously?
I have been contacting anyone I can for the past 4+ months, but on August 11 I emailed NationalityBiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and NationalityBiometricsOverseas@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. The first one is the one that responded that there is no location for me in the US.

Anahamilton, I was thinking like you, if there isn't one here, why can't I travel somewhere else and do it? I hear the letter they send you has a barcode that has to be scanned and I'm guessing it is registered for your country, so unless you can manage to get someone on the phone pre-6 months of waiting I don't think they're going to make exceptions for people.

It's insane that as Antsmall says, this is a birth right. I don't understand why my fingerprints should matter. Don't they make us get BRP cards after arrival with all that information anyways? I can understand if you're trying to go for work or school and they don't want to let in criminals, but I was born to be English and my background (though spotless) shouldn't matter one cent.

wadiki
Newly Registered

Post by wadiki » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:03 am

I am surprised at how fast some of these overseas applicant received a response, its has been 10 WEEKS today since dhl emailed me that my package was delivered on the 22nd of June and so far not one bit of response from UKVI in regards to my application..
I am also applying from within the U.S so its very dis-encouraging to hear that there are no biometric enrollment facility in the whole U.S after their website noted there should be one in the u.s by May 31st as seen here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ule_v2.pdf

I am thinking maybe i should be bombarding them with emails as bfrenchfry did to get my case moving but now it would seem to be a waste a there is no facility here to proceed with our application anyways and there is not a confirmed start up date so we may be sitting ducks apart from those already in the U.K.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:08 am

Yes, let's all deluge them with emails. They have to understand that it's preposterous for them to declare that there is a route for citizenship and then be so remiss in setting up the mechanisms which actually allow people to use this route. It's like saying "You can go to Mars! Here, fill in this form and buy a pricey ticket" and then half a year later "technically you have the right to go to Mars but we haven't invented the means of propulsion yet". Well don't sell tickets to Mars if you can't get people there. And it seems bizarre that such a populous nation as the USA, where English is widely spoken and where people from other Anglophone countries (including a certain damp and rocky archipelago off the north-western coast of the Eurasian landmass) will therefore often go to work etc because it is linguistically convenient - and then perhaps end up breeding, should be ignored when it comes to setting up this 'biometrics' business. It's not just about us (the UKF people). What about the UKM people? What about all the student and work visas that people who live there have to obtain? Surely the numbers of Americans or American residents going to Britain for some such reason cannot be so tiny that it hasn't crossed their minds until now to set up a means for them to do so. The country is really rather large, yes? It's HUGE and it's got lots of people in it, and many have ancestral ties to Britain or other very obvious reasons for going there. Don't ignore them.

Also, bfrenchfry wrote to them and they took a month to answer. What are they doing? Playing on facebook all day? They have to understand that the time of people's lives is being frittered away because they can't be bothered to do their jobs. When I am paid to do something, I do it. I don't like it: obviously I'd rather be at home writing music, practising music, practising dance, writing short stories etc. But I do it though, and I do it fast and I do it well (especially if the welfare of others is at stake), and so should they, if only out of a sense of general decency. And if they haven't figured this out until now then maybe it should be brought to their attention. So let fly the barrage of emails in case they think this isn't really affecting enough people to care about (never mind that even one is enough, which may be beyond them).

anahamilton
Newly Registered

Post by anahamilton » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Brazil is not even on the international rollout schedule list hahahaha I believe I am the only brazilian in this situation, so I believe I will wait forever to instal the biometric facility....

What I don't understand is: VFS is responsible for taking people's fingerprints for visas and stuff. In fact, I had to go there to have my biometrics recorded for my student visa. Why wouldn't they take the fingerprints for citizenship? O.o Meanwhile the British Embassy is totally useless, I wonder what they do all day hahaha

Anyway, hardly believe they already have this facility thing for citizenship here in Rio, but maybe they do, who knows. Is there a way to find out?

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:22 pm

wadiki wrote:I am surprised at how fast some of these overseas applicant received a response, its has been 10 WEEKS today since dhl emailed me that my package was delivered on the 22nd of June and so far not one bit of response from UKVI in regards to my application..
I am also applying from within the U.S so its very dis-encouraging to hear that there are no biometric enrollment facility in the whole U.S after their website noted there should be one in the u.s by May 31st as seen here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ule_v2.pdf

I am thinking maybe i should be bombarding them with emails as bfrenchfry did to get my case moving but now it would seem to be a waste a there is no facility here to proceed with our application anyways and there is not a confirmed start up date so we may be sitting ducks apart from those already in the U.K.
It took them 16 weeks and 2 days to even deduct my fee! Still no sort of acknowledgement and clearly no biometric enrollment. I also filed last month to have my passport returned to me since I've been continuously turning down work since I can't travel and that has yet to be returned. There is another form they make you fill out if you haven't gotten your documents in 10 days (ha) which I've done again now too. I really think they're claiming October because they're banking on the fact that we can't fully harass them until it's been 6 months and early Oct will be it for the April 6th law enactment. Here's hoping they get it together soon!

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:22 pm

This relatively recent page about applying for visas from America
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... in-the-usa
says, in item 2:

"You must book your biometric appointment at an application support centre when you apply online. This is to have your photo and fingerprints taken (known as ‘biometric information’) by the US Department of Homeland Security at the place you choose when you make your appointment."

What is the problem then? The Department of Homeland Security exists. If they can do the biometric nonsense there for visas, I can't see why they can't do it for citizenship registration.

Incidentally, though I haven't been waiting quite as long as bfrenchfry and the other April applicant (Paul?), I did apply on the 20th of May and only got my email acknowledgement on the 14th of July, when my fee was also withdrawn. So nearly two months just for that, and not a peep from them since.

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Antsmall wrote:This relatively recent page about applying for visas from America
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... in-the-usa
says, in item 2:

"You must book your biometric appointment at an application support centre when you apply online. This is to have your photo and fingerprints taken (known as ‘biometric information’) by the US Department of Homeland Security at the place you choose when you make your appointment."

What is the problem then? The Department of Homeland Security exists. If they can do the biometric nonsense there for visas, I can't see why they can't do it for citizenship registration.

Incidentally, though I haven't been waiting quite as long as bfrenchfry and the other April applicant (Paul?), I did apply on the 20th of May and only got my email acknowledgement on the 14th of July, when my fee was also withdrawn. So nearly two months just for that, and not a peep from them since.
Ooh that's interesting! I just wrote them again saying there seems to be a discrepancy in their information because if any of the exorbitant amount of homeland application centres are taking biometrics for visas there is no reason they can't be taking them for us as well. Until I hit 6 months and can get them to stop hanging up on me I'm just emailing everyone I can. :cry:

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Absolutely do keep emailing them. They need to know that this is wreaking havoc.

Also the same page says this:

"From the US dial 1-888-683-9699. Opening hours are 7am to 4pm EDT. Calls can be handled in English or Spanish." How about giving them a call? (I can't call at those times unless they're open at weekends because I'm trapped at work in California, so, double disadvantage - I'm not allowed personal calls).

Cloverbea
United Kingdom

Post by Cloverbea » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I have sent emails to both of the addresses provided in this thread. Hopefully there will be some resolution soon. It is ridiculous to think that I can go to a Homeland Security office and get biometrics done for my Visa but my husband can't for his citizenship birthright?!? Crazy.

Yanni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Yanni » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 pm

The answer is steering you all in the face. THE APPLICATION IS FREE. when you apply for a visa you paying a whole heap a money which some where in there is home land security cut. They most likely gonna put the booths in somewhere like a British embassy etc where it's there turf so it's cheaper. As you've seen in other people's info that done the biometrics it's been in a British embassy building.

JJL
Newly Registered

Post by JJL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi All

Firstly, I just wanted to say how incredibly helpful reading this forum has been, and thank you to all of those that have taken the time to post advise and experiences.

I just wanted to find out if anyone had gotten to the stage of Citizenship Ceremony yet? Also, do overseas applicants receive the biometric certificate in the post or is this emailed?

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

wadiki
Newly Registered

Post by wadiki » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:42 am

finally after 11 weeks i have received a little ray of hope, they finally took the 80 pounds from my account 2 days ago and that is all that has happened since, no further e-mail or physical letter in the mail so far but at least i know they have my application and its in processing but i am expecting a long wait as bfrenchfry was informed there was no biometric facility in the whole USA. the timelines are all over the place so its hard for anyone to expect anything in a specific time frame cause there seems to be none.

Cloverbea
United Kingdom

Post by Cloverbea » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:43 am

OK so, no disrespect to Brandi (bfrenchfry) but I think someone got mixed up at Home Office when processing the the application they had sent in.

The biometric rollout from what I've read is not for facilities but is the date in which applicants who apply on or after that date will have to register to have biometrics taken

[http://www.expatforum.com/expats/britai ... cants.html]

I'm not sure why Bfrenchfry got the letter they got, its worth enquiring about, but the assumption is still that we will go to a uscis office to give biometrics when asked. We just have to get to that part! My hubby's application was sent on Sept. 1, received Sept. 3 and now fingers crossed. From timelines that I'm seeing, albeit they are different entrance visas, things are now moving swiftly which may be why your funds have been withdrawn. Here's hoping things start moving in the right direction for us all!

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:52 am

Praying you're right cloverbea! I'm at 19.5 weeks of waiting and just praying for it to be over!

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:08 am

The discussion on that forum from the link you sent (Cloverbea) is very long. If you don't mind my asking, which bit refers to the thing you said about the dates for biometric procedures? (I looked through the various pages but couldn't find it - it could be that I missed the crucial passage because I'm tired). Thanks very much!

I'm at 16.5 weeks or thereabouts - not as egregious a delay as Bfrenchfry's but still quite alarming. During my struggle for section 65 (the legal reform which brought about the new citizenship route represented by form UKF) I was in contact with a fellow in his nineties who died of old age (around 95 or so) while waiting for the law to pass: he never got his birthright because they took so needlessly long to change the law. Let's hope they don't do a repeat performance while we wait for our applications to be processed.

Cloverbea
United Kingdom

Post by Cloverbea » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:27 pm

It's really the first post in the thread, it shows again the rollout schedule and information about the rollout, but reading through some of the posts, it really explains what it means for those applying from overseas. Those applying for Visas before the May 31st rollout date simply had to register biometrics and they were issued a 33 month Visa. Now, you must register biometrics and be in the UK within 30 days and then have a further 10 days once in country to pick up your biometrics card. I posted that because the information bfrenchfry was sent inlcuded the biometric rollout scheme and dates and it doesn't seem to fit with what those on this thread are trying to accomplish, which is citizenship. Like I said, it seems to be a weird mix up probably by someone who hasn't seen a lot of UKF or UKM forms(which is what my husband has applied for) I'm hoping that the fact that money has been taken from the both of you recently indicates the office speeding up the process and pushing applications through.

I had another thought about the 80 quid fee and I can't remember if I posted it here, so sorry if its a duplicate. The fee that we pay isn't an application fee, but is a ceremony fee which would indicate to me the possibility of the application being successful? Though I've also read that a third party company takes though and it has no bearing on the application so I could be wrong on that account, but its one of those thoughts that you have when you're trying to wrap your head around this whole long and drawn out process :) any input is welcome!

Cloverbea
United Kingdom

Post by Cloverbea » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:30 pm

I will add this to the September line, but they've already pulled the fee!!

$123.70 or 80 pounds has been pulled as of 9/11/15!

Hubby sent his paperwork off on 9/1/15, received in Liverpool 9/3/15!

Thinks are moving friends! Here's hoping we all get some great news soon!

wadiki
Newly Registered

Post by wadiki » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:48 am

@cloverbea

wow you're one of the fast applicants, as you can see some of us here had to wait months for that step. I wish you guys luck, are you applying from the U.S as well?

Cloverbea
United Kingdom

Post by Cloverbea » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Yep, applying from NC, USA :)

JJL
Newly Registered

Post by JJL » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi All

Firstly, I just wanted to say how incredibly helpful reading this forum has been, and thank you to all of those that have taken the time to post advice and experiences.

I just wanted to find out if anyone had arrived at the stage of Citizenship Ceremony yet? Also, do overseas applicants receive the biometric certificate in the post or is this emailed?

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:43 pm

I wrote the biometrics people again saying I don't understand why you say there isn't a center yet, there are so many places to do biometrics for visas, so why not citizens, and I got a longer answer, still saying the same thing. For citizen applications from the U.S. They are hoping for October. Full email from them below:

Thank You for contacting us.
From 6th April 2015, applicants for British Citizenship must enrol their biometric identifiers (fingerprints and photographs) as part of the application process.

To ensure a positive experience for our customers UK Visas and Immigration have arranged for biometric identifiers to be taken at the 135 Application Support Centres across the US .

Unfortunately, it has taken longer than we expected to put in place the necessary technical infrastructure and this has meant that we have been unable to schedule biometric enrolments.

We now expect this to be resolved by October 2015, when we will be able to invite you to arrange your enrolment visits. We will contact you again in October to explain what you need to do next. We sincerely apologise for the delay to your application and any inconvenience caused.

lagos1980
Newly Registered

Post by lagos1980 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 pm

JJL wrote:Hi All

Firstly, I just wanted to say how incredibly helpful reading this forum has been, and thank you to all of those that have taken the time to post advice and experiences.

I just wanted to find out if anyone had arrived at the stage of Citizenship Ceremony yet? Also, do overseas applicants receive the biometric certificate in the post or is this emailed?

Read all the posts from page 1 and you'll know everything the rest of us know.

yktamimi
Newly Registered

Lost original Naturalization Certificate (issued before 1986

Post by yktamimi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Yasin Tamimi and I live in Occupied Palestinian Territories. I am a considered as a British citizen by descent as my father was a British citizen by naturalization (he was naturalized in 1975).
I have submitted an overseas passport application along with the following supporting documents.
Passport Application Form
My Birth certificate
My father's expired passport
My parents’ marriage certificate
My father's naturalization certificate (original with red stamp but LAMINATED)

The HM passport office sent me a message telling me that they do not accept the laminated naturalisation certificate and requested an alternative one. But unfortunately the laminated certificate is the only certificate I have got, we do not have any other unlaminated certificates.

The document has been found in the national archives, it has already been ordered as a certified copy. but they have told me that a certified copy is not confirmation of the authenticity of the information shown on it.

Does that mean that the document cannot be used for legal use, is it possible to certify it from the Home Office, or getting at least a confirmation letter.

I look forward to hearing your reply
Best Wishes,
Yasin

lagos1980
Newly Registered

Post by lagos1980 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:32 pm

I also sent in a certified copy from the National Archives. Just send it to the Home Office, and let them decide if it suffices as proof or not. I can't imagine why they would have a problem with it, but we can only wait and see.

lagos1980
Newly Registered

Re: Lost original Naturalization Certificate (issued before

Post by lagos1980 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:33 pm

yktamimi wrote:Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Yasin Tamimi and I live in Occupied Palestinian Territories. I am a considered as a British citizen by descent as my father was a British citizen by naturalization (he was naturalized in 1975).
I have submitted an overseas passport application along with the following supporting documents.
Passport Application Form
My Birth certificate
My father's expired passport
My parents’ marriage certificate
My father's naturalization certificate (original with red stamp but LAMINATED)

The HM passport office sent me a message telling me that they do not accept the laminated naturalisation certificate and requested an alternative one. But unfortunately the laminated certificate is the only certificate I have got, we do not have any other unlaminated certificates.

The document has been found in the national archives, it has already been ordered as a certified copy. but they have told me that a certified copy is not confirmation of the authenticity of the information shown on it.

Does that mean that the document cannot be used for legal use, is it possible to certify it from the Home Office, or getting at least a confirmation letter.

I look forward to hearing your reply
Best Wishes,
Yasin

I also sent in a certified copy from the National Archives. Just send it to the Home Office, and let them decide if it suffices as proof or not. I can't imagine why they would have a problem with it, but we can only wait and see.