ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croydon appointment experience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:46 pm

hsmpwpilr wrote:
I'd advise everybody to go in person, as it gives you better chance to represent yourself. It allows you to explain your situation properly.
This is a bad idea if you have a complicated case. VERY bad.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:21 pm

thanks guys

vasa
Newly Registered

Post by vasa » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 am

Is it recommended to go to Croydon with dependands (wife, kids)? HO guys told me many times over the phone it's not necessary.

What do you think?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 am

It is not necessary. Postal applications are perfectly OK. Just ensure that you use Special Delivery for post the application, together with its valuable documents.

But of course there are issues. In a sense less hassle posting ... no need to take time off work or travel to a PEO ...... lower cost by post ..... but it does take longer by post, and thus that nagging doubt in the back of your mind remains for longer.
John

vasa
Newly Registered

Post by vasa » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi guys,

Got back two days ago from Croydon office where my wife, daughter and I got ILR stickers. I wanted to thank Tamzin who started the tread and all the others who joined in the meantime for posting so much valuable information. This thread has been very useful source of information during my preparation for the interview, therefore I will try to add my small contribution which may help some new candidates.

In my case, it was a straightforward application for ILR on a basis of continuous 5 years spent in the UK as a work permit holder. Booked this appointment on 27th of October (3 weeks in advance) for 16th of November by following suggestions from this thread and calling from two-three phones at the same time between 8:55am and 9am. Got an answer on one of the phones around 8:59am and was asked for my name, date of birth and mobile number. They allocated appointment for 4pm on 16th of November.

On the day, we went together to the Lunar House and once we got there around 3:15pm couldn’t see any queue in front of the building. Must be it was too late. They let us enter the building straight away and after passing through airport-like security checks one of the clerks checked our application. He asked for application form, passports, Life in the UK certificates for me and my wife, bank statements and work permit before writing down two additional forms and giving us everything back with the ticket number. He told us to go to the first floor to pay. He was very polite and didn’t ask questions, just checked details in his computer and our documents.

Not much to say about paying, 950 has gone in a matter of seconds :(.
We moved onto the second floor where our number got called in next 5min. A very nice case worker asked for the following:

- Two additional forms prepared by clerk from the ground floor
- Ticket number
- Application form with pictures
- Passports
- Life in the UK certificates for me and my wife
- Bank statements or payslips (had both so handed over all of them)
- Company letter

Although not required by the application for work permit holders, he also asked for original and translated version of our marriage certificate and my daughter’s birth certificate because of my wife having a different surname than me. Once all that was given, he was happy with everything and started typing something into his computer which took another 10 mins. I was not asked anything at all during all this time and couldn’t see whether he was checking my absence days or not. After he finished typing, we were told to wait for 10-15 mins before passports arrive and were handed back all our documentation. To our surprise passports arrived in like 3-5 minutes.

All in all a very easy process which was expected considering a fee of almost a grand :(. I brought much more documentation just to cover all possible angles, which I suggest to all of you who want to go there.

Vasa

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:33 am

Well done Vasa! The experience sounds as though it was not too painful (other than paying the £950!)

How many days absence did you have? Was it within the 6 month limit?

vasa
Newly Registered

Post by vasa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:16 am

Not too many to be honest, I didn't travel a lot, only couple of family holidays. However, as I said last time, I had a problem with couple of stamps in my passport (invisible, wrong dates) and was worried about it. As Victoria suggested, I asked my company to write a letter stating that I was in the office during certain periods which were not obvious from the passport. But, nobody asked for that.

950 gave me a hard time...ccc... almost enough for a good 42" plasma.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am

congrats vasa.

correct, a 42" Full HD plasma

[quote="vasa"] almost enough for a good 42" plasma.[/quote]