ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 Parking fines

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iimmigrant
Newly Registered

10 Parking fines

Post by iimmigrant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 am

I paid 10 parking fines in various councils in the my first year of driving which was 2.5 years ago.

Can you please advise if it will affect naturalisation?

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Re: 10 Parking fines

Post by Rajuk09 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 am

Seems too much for a year and even not that many years before you got these . I would wait before applying. Seniors can give you more clear answer.

tx123
Newly Registered

Post by tx123 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 am

iimmigrant wrote:I paid 10 parking fines in various councils in the my first year of driving which was 2.5 years ago.

Ok Hope this answer will clarify the scope of parking fines for Naturalization. (My answers is in plain English avoiding legislative jargon for easy reading)

The latest AN Guide Published in July 2015 states you should mention all "Criminal Conviction" which include Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) issued for speeding and parking. It then says HO wont normally consider these minor conviction, unless
a) you ended up in court for it (for either non payment or for an unsuccessful appeal)
b)or you received numerous FPN which put your good character in question.

Now, there is no set limit for "Numerous" but I would say 10 can easily fall into its boundaries.

Now the question you have to consider is, is your parking charge a FPN or PCN.

FPN or Fixed Penalty Notices are issued by both Police and Other Enforcement Authority (for speeding, parking in zig zag, red line etc). Even though this is for minor offences, FPN comes under the Criminal Justice System and will be recorded in your criminal history file.

PCN or Parking Charge Notices however are normally issued by councils and local authorities for parking offences. These are issued to the registered keeper of the car and the issuing authority wont even ask who was using the car at the time of the breach. This is because unlike FPN, PCN are dealt through Civil Justice system. Who committed the offence does not matter because the PCN was only intend to charge a financial penalty.

So if your 10 parking fines are issued as an FPN by police and authorities and your name, date of birth, address were asked before issuing this parking fines then you may find some difficulties in your naturalization application because to be honest 10 FPN is "Numerous"

If however you received this parking fines as PCN and was just sicked on your car's wind screen or was addressed to the registered owner asking for payment, then these are not criminal conviction and you don't have to declare it. (Form AN 3.1 ask for criminal conviction details not civil conviction).

I think a lot of people are unnecessarily worried because the guide says you need to declare Fixed Penalty notice issued for speeding and parking. What it is asking for is "FPN" received for parking and not PCN issued by councils.

For others who might have odd doubts even after reading it, if someone received parking charges from every single council in UK you think HO will write to all council asking whether you received parking charge?

Even if they did councils can only tell it was your car, they don't have any information about who committed the offence at that time, because this information was never collected. So it is possible one of your friend might have borrowed your car and received a parking charge and you or they paid it, it wont be in your conviction, will it?

or you received a parking fine on a hire car and you just paid it. It is in the hire companies record, how can HO check this.

Hopefully this clarify this matter.

So just to summarize, if the parking fine is an FPN and your details were collected before giving you the notice it need to be declared and if its PCN, it is a civil fine and not criminal and you don't have to declare any civil fine in form AN.

I would say if you have more than one FPN in the last 12 month wait until you have only one.

Also if your fine was issued by a court or was unsuccessfully appealed in the court, you have to wait 3 years from this date before you can apply.

If you would like to discuss your naturalization applications before submission, I can help you with your queries for a small fee. Drop me an email
Moderator edit: email address removed.

legend786

Post by legend786 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:34 pm

tx123 wrote:
iimmigrant wrote:I paid 10 parking fines in various councils in the my first year of driving which was 2.5 years ago.

Ok Hope this answer will clarify the scope of parking fines for Naturalization. (My answers is in plain English avoiding legislative jargon for easy reading)

The latest AN Guide Published in July 2015 states you should mention all "Criminal Conviction" which include Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) issued for speeding and parking. It then says HO wont normally consider these minor conviction, unless
a) you ended up in court for it (for either non payment or for an unsuccessful appeal)

Now, there is no set limit for "Numerous" but I would say 10 can easily fall into its boundaries.

FPN or Fixed Penalty Notices are issued by both Police and Other Enforcement Authority (for speeding, parking in zig zag, red line etc). Even though this is for minor offences, FPN comes under the Criminal Justice System and will be recorded in your criminal history file.

PCN or Parking Charge Notices however are normally issued by councils and local authorities for parking offences. These are issued to the registered keeper of the car and the issuing authority wont even ask who was using the car at the time of the breach. This is because unlike FPN, PCN are dealt through Civil Justice system. Who committed the offence does not matter because the PCN was only intend to charge a financial penalty.

So if your 10 parking fines are issued as an FPN by police and authorities and your name, date of birth, address were asked before issuing this parking fines then you may find some difficulties in your naturalization application because to be honest 10 FPN is "Numerous"

If however you received this parking fines as PCN and was just sicked on your car's wind screen or was addressed to the registered owner asking for payment, then these are not criminal conviction and you don't have to declare it. (Form AN 3.1 ask for criminal conviction details not civil conviction).

I think a lot of people are unnecessarily worried because the guide says you need to declare Fixed Penalty notice issued for speeding and parking. What it is asking for is "FPN" received for parking and not PCN issued by councils.

For others who might have odd doubts even after reading it, if someone received parking charges from every single council in UK you think HO will write to all council asking whether you received parking charge?

Even if they did councils can only tell it was your car, they don't have any information about who committed the offence at that time, because this information was never collected. So it is possible one of your friend might have borrowed your car and received a parking charge and you or they paid it, it wont be in your conviction, will it?

or you received a parking fine on a hire car and you just paid it. It is in the hire companies record, how can HO check this.

So just to summarize, if the parking fine is an FPN and your details were collected before giving you the notice it need to be declared and if its PCN, it is a civil fine and not criminal and you don't have to declare any civil fine in form AN.

I would say if you have more than one FPN in the last 12 month wait until you have only one.

Also if your fine was issued by a court or was unsuccessfully appealed in the court, you have to wait 3 years from this date before you can apply.

If you would like to discuss your naturalization applications before submission, I can help you with your queries for a small fee. Drop me an email hello@taxwhizz.com

Thanks mate
very nice and thoroughly explained in as easy as possible words
cheers

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:06 pm

I've been driving since 1985 and never had one parking fine.

How can you get 10?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Wanderer wrote:I've been driving since 1985 and never had one parking fine.

How can you get 10?
May be because you have kept driving your car since 1985 and never parked it.....

palaremzi

Post by palaremzi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:50 pm

parking tickets, unlike speeding or seat belt tickets, are issued to the registration number of the vehicle; not to a person's name. the responsibility (to pay) falls on the shoulders of the owner of the vehicle. if not paid, they'd go after the owner; as far as parking tickets are concerned they don't care who the driver was.

if they're all paid then there is nothing to declare.

jaweb
Member of Standing

Post by jaweb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:26 pm

[quote="saanju9"][quote="Wanderer"]I've been driving since 1985 and never had one parking fine.

How can you get 10?[/quote]

May be because you have kept driving your car since 1985 and never parked it.....[/quote]

:D :D :D

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:24 pm

tx123 wrote:...

If you would like to discuss your naturalization applications before submission, I can help you with your queries for a small fee. Drop me an email hello@XXXXXXXX.com
Are you a registered immigration adviser :?:

(Email blanked to respect forum posting guidelines)
By law, immigration advisers must be registered with OISC or a member of an approved professional body, eg the Law Society.
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration- ... an-adviser
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:39 am

saanju9 wrote:

How can you get 10?
May be because you have kept driving your car since 1985 and never parked it.....
LOL that is totally a top class
N/A

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:22 am

Tier 4 wrote:
saanju9 wrote:

How can you get 10?
LOL that is totally a top class
Another rib gone....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:31 pm

tx123 wrote:

If you would like to discuss your naturalization applications before submission, I can help you with your queries for a small fee. Drop me an email
Please refrain from advertising your services on this forum. Further posts containing your email address and offers to advise for a 'small fee' will be deleted and your membership account closed.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.