ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen to marry South African in UK not SA

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

British citizen to marry South African in UK not SA

Post by bubbe2005 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:07 am

Hi ALL

here is my scenario:

me and my bf been dating for 2 and half years.

he is currently here on a 2 year working holiday visa.

we plan on having a registrar wedding here in UK then later on a proper wedding in the philippines.

I understand that he will have to apply for the marriage of certifacte of approval from the home office - I have the forms already.

His working holiday visa runs out in June 2008

WHEN WILL BE THE BEST TIME TO APPLY FOR COA TO THE HOME OFFICE? AND HOW LONG DOES THE PROCESS TAKE? WEEKS? MONTHS?

If they grant us its 3months to get married right?

After getting married in those 3 months, HE WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO SA wouldn't he?????

And then wait for me to fill out the SPOUSE VISA application right?

Has anyone been in a similar situation like this?

Please advise.

I am doing as much research as I can, and I am beginning to get a HEADACHE.

Yes another option will be getting married in SA BUT i will still ahve to sponsor him as my spouse when i get back yo UK and I know the WAIT is LONG!!!!!!

My plan is to do all these applications WHILST HE IS STILL HERE IN THE UK!!!!!!

Does anyone make sense of all this.

Any other SA's out there who married a British citizen PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanks all.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:28 am

Why dont you get married in SA and then you don't need a COA?
Once you are married, then pop over to the British High Commission in Pretoria and apply for a spouse visa.
I think that would the most simple way.
Good luck.

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

Post by bubbe2005 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:18 pm

hi all just got off the phone to an advisor at the home office.

heres what she told me, my bf has to have at least 3months left on his working holiday visa so seeing it runs out in June we will apply in March 2008

If we are granted the COA we will get registrar marriage within the 3 month timeframe, immdeiately after that she said i would have to apply for the spousal visa, she said he will still be in the UK whilst i apply for this visa.

megmog

Post by megmog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:06 pm

ok sorry to jump in here but last I heard, to apply for a settlement visa (spousal) you have to apply from south africa (or which ever country your husband is from)...

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:19 am

megmog wrote:ok sorry to jump in here but last I heard, to apply for a settlement visa (spousal) you have to apply from south africa (or which ever country your husband is from)...
Not necessarily if already legally admitted to the United Kingdom for a period exceeding 6 months.

megmog

Post by megmog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:18 am

ahh ok i see... makes more sense!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:24 am

heres what she told me, my bf has to have at least 3months left on his working holiday visa so seeing it runs out in June we will apply in March 2008
Not a good plan. If you are planning to get married in the UK, apply for the CoA without delay. Absolutely no sense to wait until the last moment. The timetable :-
  • Apply for the CoA soon
  • After that arrives, and within the 3 month validity of the CoA, go to the Register Office to give the needed "Notice of Intention to Marry". A notice will be posted on the Board at the Register Office for 15 days, after which the permission to marry is issued.
  • That permission to marry is valid for 12 months, but you will need to ensure that the marriage happens before the current visa runs out, so that the new visa can be applied for prior to that visa expiry date.
John