ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR AND TIME ABROAD ON SPOUSE VISA

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

papa
Newly Registered

ILR AND TIME ABROAD ON SPOUSE VISA

Post by papa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:19 pm

My son-in-law entered UK on spouse visa (2 yrs) on 26th April 2005 (entry clearance granted 10th April 2005).
He is now going abroad for a month from 27th November, with family.

How will this affect his application for ILR?

Thanks for your help.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:14 am

Did he apply for ILR in April 2007? Or for further 2 year spouse visa?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

papa
Newly Registered

Post by papa » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:07 pm

SORRY

He entered UK April 2006 (visa granted April 2006) and not 2005!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Papa, a one month absence is totally OK, unless there have also been some sizeable absences prior to that. In the 2 year period, roughly how long in total outside the UK?

Has he already passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or if not, when does he plan to take that?
John

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:42 pm

Then a month out of the UK would be fine, provided it's not the latest in a string of absences.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

papa
Newly Registered

Post by papa » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:30 pm

avjones wrote:Then a month out of the UK would be fine, provided it's not the latest in a string of absences.
Thanks.

When would he apply for ILR then?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:36 pm

The earliest date is 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of the date of entry into the UK = 29.03.08 ... and the latest date is the expiry date on the current visa = 10.04.08.

But he cannot apply for ILR unless he can enclose a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test.
John

papa
Newly Registered

ILR and time abroad?

Post by papa » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:13 pm

My son-in-law has gone abroad for the first time since entering UK. How long can he stay there without it affecting his ILR application?

Many thanks.

vinny

ILR and time abroad?

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:45 pm

Section 1 - Spouses wrote:4.5. Further guidance

There is no specific requirement in the Rules that the entire probationary period must be spent in the United Kingdom. For example, where an applicant has spent a limited period outside of the United Kingdom in connection with his employment, this should not count against him. However, if he has spent the majority of the period overseas, there may be reason to doubt that all the requirements of the Rules have been met. Each case must be judged on its merits, taking into account reasons for travel, length of absences and whether the applicant and sponsor travelled and lived together during the time spent outside the United Kingdom. These factors will need to be considered against the requirements of the Rules.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.